Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Lotus-eater
    • 20th Feb 08, 8:52 AM
    • 20th Feb 08, 8:52 AM
    My top tip, don't buy the cheapest growbags, buy the new bigger size they are making, they are double the depth of normal bags and much much easier for watering.
  • weezl74
    • 20th Feb 08, 9:01 AM
    • 20th Feb 08, 9:01 AM
    cool, thanks. Where do you get yours and what do they cost?

Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz
    Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • Lotus-eater
    • 20th Feb 08, 9:06 AM
    • 20th Feb 08, 9:06 AM
    Can't remember, Focus I think, or Wickes. I think they are about £4 each. I find its much better to put them in the ground if you possibly can.
    I know some people put tomatoes in a bottomless pot, on a growbag (holes cut in bottom), on the soil.
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 20th Feb 08, 9:29 AM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 15,878 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    • 20th Feb 08, 9:29 AM
    • 20th Feb 08, 9:29 AM
    I got mine in netto for 99p each, but they are the old style shallow ones.
    I bought them because it was a cheap way to buy potting compost
    ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Save 12k in 2016 challenge no 60 £182.20/£6000
  • Zazen999
    • 20th Feb 08, 9:32 AM
    • 20th Feb 08, 9:32 AM
    Hiya.

Growbags have well-rotted manure in them; whereas compost doesn't. That's why they are better than compost for toms as they don't really need any more fertiliser than watering with tom food every few weeks.
    • fiscalfreckles
    • By fiscalfreckles 20th Feb 08, 12:57 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 1,843 Thanks
    fiscalfreckles
    • 20th Feb 08, 12:57 PM
    • 20th Feb 08, 12:57 PM
    They had some in our 99p shop that looked a decent size (not deep though).
    • alanobrien
    • By alanobrien 20th Feb 08, 12:58 PM
    • 3,177 Posts
    • 1,788 Thanks
    alanobrien
    • 20th Feb 08, 12:58 PM
    • 20th Feb 08, 12:58 PM
    i found wickes to be the cheapest for standard grow bags and certainly way less costly than the garden centres.
  • weezl74
    • 20th Feb 08, 1:48 PM
    • 20th Feb 08, 1:48 PM
    yes, thanks for that, Wickes do seem to be cheap, £1.29 each. Perhaps that's why there are none in stock!:confused:

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    • Farway
    • By Farway 20th Feb 08, 3:54 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 3,861 Thanks
    Farway
    Lidl garden weekend starts Saturday 1st March

Standard Growbags 89p

I cut holes and put one on top of the other, some stand them upright and plant in the "end" to give more depth
  • valk_scot
    Lidl garden weekend starts Saturday 1st March

Standard Growbags 89p

I cut holes and put one on top of the other, some stand them upright and plant in the "end" to give more depth
    Originally posted by Farway
    I cut mine in half and stand the sections on end to give two "pots". Punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage.

You still need to feed tomatoes even with growbags. Tomato plants are greedy objects.
    Val.
    • pompeii
    • By pompeii 20th Feb 08, 9:48 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    pompeii
    Val
    Top tip.
  • weezl74
    [quote=valk_scot;8785781]I cut mine in half and stand the sections on end to give two "pots". Punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
    /quote]
    How many tomato plants would go in each one of those?

Weezl x

• Farway
    • By Farway 21st Feb 08, 2:48 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 3,861 Thanks
    Farway
    [QUOTE=weezl74;8799227]
    I cut mine in half and stand the sections on end to give two "pots". Punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
    /quote]

Weezl x
    Originally posted by valk_scot
    Can't speak for Val, but I would only put one given limited amount of surface area for watering, and spacing would be too close as well IMO

Unless someone knows better?
  • Zazen999
    [QUOTE=weezl74;8799227]
    /quote]

Weezl x
    Originally posted by valk_scot
    Hi.
    Depends on how many you could fit into the same size growbag and how wide the growbags are - in a growbag that is the size to put 6 tomato plants in, I would put 3 in each half bag. But then again, I cut most of the leaves off and space mine closer together than alot of people so I would probably chuck 4 or 5 in there and make the diameter as wide as i could.
  • valk_scot
    [quote=Farway;8808247]

Can't speak for Val, but I would only put one given limited amount of surface area for watering, and spacing would be too close as well IMO

Unless someone knows better?
    Originally posted by weezl74
    Yup, I'd put one plant per half bag as well. If you give each plant a decent amount of growing medium then it doesn't have to compete with neighbours for food and water, and it will grow better and crop more heavily. You still would have to feed them later in the season though.

Basically it's just a quick way of making a disposable pot. There's nothing magical about the compost in grow bags, though it's a fact that the cheaper they are, the poorer the quality of the growing medium. With the very cheap 99p-ish ones, it's best to not cram in the plants too much. But I wouldn't use the more expensive double-height ones this way anyway.
    Val.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,131Posts Today

7,031Users online

Martin's Twitter