Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Petal
    Peugeot 306 - airbag light flashing
    • 5th Feb 08, 12:00 PM
    Peugeot 306 - airbag light flashing 5th Feb 08 at 12:00 PM
    Hi there

I'm hoping someone has experience of this. I've had problems with the air bag system for years. It seems that if the seat is moved or the airbag is switched off/on it triggers a fault and the light starts flashing. I'm told that I then can't be sure if the airbag will activate if required. It's been in the garage a couple of times where they delete the fault codes and as soon as I drive away from the garage the light starts flashing again. I really don't want to keep spending money on having the codes deleted only to find that's not really the problem. The seat runners have been mentioned as a possible fault and now the garage want to quote for new runners etc. Has anyone else had any experience of this?

It's driving me !

Thanks
    ~x~
    Owned by 4 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and 2 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10
    Miss u sweetie...
Page 1
  • Jorgan
    • 5th Feb 08, 12:41 PM
    • 5th Feb 08, 12:41 PM
    I don't know if the 306 is the same as the 406, but there electrical connectors for the airbag on the 406 are under the front seats. They are orange in colour & for the the seat belt pre tensioners, which are connected to the air bag ecu.

If you have the electrical connectors under the seats, wiggling the connections can fix it, as well as unplugging the wires and spraying some contact cleaner in the plug and sockets. You may want to disconnect the battery for a few minutes before hand to ensure you don't deploy the airbag by mistake.
  • espresso
    • 5th Feb 08, 12:46 PM
    • 5th Feb 08, 12:46 PM
    This can be fixed by removing the poor quality connectors under the front seats and then soldering the wires as they were previously connected.
    Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 5th Feb 08, 12:51 PM
    • 5,548 Posts
    • 4,763 Thanks
    davetrousers
    • 5th Feb 08, 12:51 PM
    • 5th Feb 08, 12:51 PM
    Yep, I had a 306 and this happened to me. I phone the local Peugeot dealer and they told me to check the connectors under the seats. Simple as that.

• Petal
    • 5th Feb 08, 1:14 PM
    • 5th Feb 08, 1:14 PM
    So - I need to remove the seat to do this - right? Apologies for my ignorance but are all the connectors under the driver's seat or are there some under the passenger seat for the passenger airbag?

~x~
    Owned by 4 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and 2 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

Miss u sweetie...
  • espresso
    • 5th Feb 08, 1:30 PM
    • 5th Feb 08, 1:30 PM
    So - I need to remove the seat to do this - right? Apologies for my ignorance but are all the connectors under the driver's seat or are there some under the passenger seat for the passenger airbag?

~x~
    Originally posted by Petal
    It's not necessary to remove the seats but there are connectors under both front seats.
  • Petal
    • 5th Feb 08, 1:35 PM
    • 5th Feb 08, 1:35 PM
    Aaah...I've just re-read the replies and the clue would be in "front seats" ! I did call Peugeot when the problem first occurred years ago. I paid £70 odd for new pre tensioners - within no time it was flashing again - I then paid another £70 odd for something else which they said was unrelated to the first problem. I've since paid £57 + VAT per time to have fault codes deleted etc. I called and spoke to the Manager of the garage and said that I can't keep paying money to have this rectified and he said to bring it in and they will check it out FOC and try to get to the bottom of it - fair enough. They had it all Saturday morning and when I collected the car the light was flashing again before I left their car park!

~x~

Miss u sweetie...
  • espresso
    • 5th Feb 08, 1:38 PM
    • 5th Feb 08, 1:38 PM
    This is a very well known Peugeot problem and that garage is havin a laugh! Quite easy to DIY, so they should be able to fix it first time.
    • hewhoisnotintheknow
    • By hewhoisnotintheknow 5th Feb 08, 9:49 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    hewhoisnotintheknow
    • 5th Feb 08, 9:49 PM
    • 5th Feb 08, 9:49 PM
    wire under the seat

make sure the ignition is off, un plug it, plug it back in.

Its caused by stuff hitting the wire or moving the seat a lot
  • espresso
    wire under the seat

Originally posted by hewhoisnotintheknow
    That "fix" may last for all of ten minutes, as the OP has already found!

• mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 6th Feb 08, 10:36 AM
    • 620 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    also a problem on citroens too and all psa cars of this era!

its the orange connector under the front seats, with the ignition off carefully take off the connector and reconnect (on both seats) this may work.
  • Petal
    I'll give it a go and report back!

~x~

Miss u sweetie...
    • mummytofour
    • By mummytofour 6th Feb 08, 5:01 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    mummytofour
    Oh I have the same problem on my 806 will try tomorrow!
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
    • hewhoisnotintheknow
    • By hewhoisnotintheknow 6th Feb 08, 9:36 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    hewhoisnotintheknow
    That "fix" may last for all of ten minutes, as the OP has already found!

Originally posted by espresso
    Well he must have a further problem
  • espresso
    wire under the seat

The connectors are poor quality, so this is a temporary fix at best.

No it's not, when the wires are soldered, the fault does not return!
    Well he must have a further problem

Yes the seat runners need replacing, as suggested by the garage milking this simple problem!

hewhoisnotintheknow

:rolleyes:

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,612Posts Today

8,869Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin