IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Little Money Making Scheme
Closed Thread
Views: 21,222
# 1
Xeorix
Old 30-01-2008, 1:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy Little Money Making Scheme

Hey Guy and Girls,

Im looking for someway of making a little extra money to help support me through University. I have a job at Waitrose which I work every other weekend yet this and my loan doesn't not help me through Uni. I've only being paying rent, bills and food and I am always running out of money...I dont even go out or buy anything since I cant afford to.

Ive been reading about loop holes etc or drop shipping/buying bulk and reselling however I do not have the money to get started.

I am studying Digital Multimedia Technology and am fairly proficient at Photoshop, yet not absolutely amazing, I can also create websites and such to a certain level.
I have run 3/4 different websites but since my adsense account got banned I cannot get any income from that. I've made logo's and the likes in the past for a friends music group but it isn't too sustained.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any little money spinners that I can do at home. I think i've exhausted everything. Ive tried paid surveys (I usually dont meet the criteria), adsense, cash back etc etc and I cannot seem to get anywhere.

I just wish I could come up with an idea like www.telebid.com or something along those lines. Even if I only made 5 a day profit it would help me along.

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it if you could pass them on, or even if you have an idea for a website that would be a little money spinner then I would be more than willing to here your idea and help

Thanks
Greg
Cashback
Total Quidco since 2007: 166.64
Total TCB since 2012: 398

Competition Wins
5* Break in Scotland
The Following User Says Thank You to Xeorix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
aqueoushumour01
Old 30-01-2008, 7:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

you could try matched betting although you need a bit to start off with. If you follow everything to the letter you can't lose although it can be stressful if you hate the idea of paying out money initially. This is why I stopped but I was up about 250 within a short space of time.

here's the link http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=325861
The Following User Says Thank You to aqueoushumour01 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Amalea
Old 30-01-2008, 10:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Maybe you should have a closer look at your bills/outgoings first, and maybe up to working every weekend not just every other. You shouldnt be looking at making money as much as you should be focusing more on your uni course-otherwise whats the point?
If after assessing your bills (eg are you really on best mobile contract?) you're still struggling I believe uni's have a hardship fund, have a talk to someone at uni about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amalea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Lokolo
Old 30-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Few little tips etc.:

You get your bonus at waitrose in a few months so that'll come in handy, don't go out buying an Xbox or whatever, still it in an account for you to dig into if you need to.

Try and work overtime at Waitrose, extra pay is always useful. And also, try and get a shift on Sundays, you work less and get more pay...
The Following User Says Thank You to Lokolo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
roxalana
Old 30-01-2008, 1:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalea View Post
Maybe you should have a closer look at your bills/outgoings first, and maybe up to working every weekend not just every other. You shouldnt be looking at making money as much as you should be focusing more on your uni course-otherwise whats the point?
If after assessing your bills (eg are you really on best mobile contract?) you're still struggling I believe uni's have a hardship fund, have a talk to someone at uni about it.
Checking you can't cut back on your outgoings before upping your income sounds like a good idea to me and perhaps do a spending diary - if you are unsure see if the uni welfare service can give you any advice.

I'd check you have no other options before trying matched betting or selling for profit if you are not sure of this. Also, do you work more in the holidays to boost your income?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roxalana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Xeorix
Old 30-01-2008, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I plan on saving my bonus towards a car which I will probably be needing for my placement next year.

I worked over Christmas but this just got me out of the red because of bills, rent and food. I also work Sat and Sun but cant get both weekends because of how my shift is planned, and also I travel 2 hours home to work and to see my gf every other weekend.

I have planned my money and its as showed

Income - £200 per month
Outgoing - £100 per month - bills
£40 per month - travel
£75 per month - food

Total - £215. Thats -£15 a month but probably a bit more, like when i go home I may go the cinema and when she comes to see me we go for a drink.
Lets say £50, that leaves me £65 short.

The extra work in the holidays boosts my income, but only lasts a certain amount of time since im technically loosing £65 a month as above

My loan only just covers my accommodation...and my accommodation is cheap for compared to fellow students.
I have been to see the Uni however not alot can be done because of my dads wages. He worked hard at University to get a good job, and because of this I suffer. I know he would help me out but mum has m.e so doesnt work, and has to support my 2 younger siblings and my mum
Cashback

Competition Wins
5* Break in Scotland
# 7
Lokolo
Old 30-01-2008, 3:48 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ok for starters - you see your gf every 2 weeks, be a bore and don't always go out. What does she do anyway? (uni, work what?)

2 hours to work? Thats a long way to be going for starters....

All I;m going to suggest is don;t go home so often, you have to travel 2 hours every fortnight to get to work, have a weekend relaxing every n ow and again, don't go out with your gf, I am sure you can live another week or 2 without seeing her.
# 8
Xeorix
Old 30-01-2008, 4:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well i go home to work, my gf also works at the same place and works the same weekends as me at the same place. She is also at uni

1 week - I go home (notts-crewe) to work and see my gf
2 week - Gf comes to notts to see me
3 week - go home (notts-crewe) to work and see my gf
4 week - Gf comes to notts to see me

Doing this pattern ensures I can work in the breaks and i get to keep my bonus

We hardly go out but I get shouted at and told im boring, so I have to make an effort even if it is for 1 night. Its something different, anyway i dont like being stuck at my PC all day. I spend a lot of time on it anyway.
Cashback

Competition Wins
5* Break in Scotland
# 9
Amalea
Old 30-01-2008, 4:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Can you break down the bills part more? Sounds like estimated values-you really need to pull all your finances to pieces.
Whats happened to your loan?
# 10
Xeorix
Old 30-01-2008, 5:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My loan just about covers for my accomodation
Cashback

Competition Wins
5* Break in Scotland
# 11
burf16
Old 09-02-2008, 4:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You need to find time to work on a business idea and also do something you like doing. It helps if you know business minded people. To be honest if you don't have a decent business idea then you need to get a job until you do. There are NO get rich quick schemes out there. They don't exist.
# 12
Mrs Money
Old 09-02-2008, 7:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile some more money making ideas?

Hi GregHesp
you're reasonable with photoshop - have you tried ideas like selling your photos on line? Don't know how successful this is though! There is always Cafe Press as well (for using your photos/designs on mugs, t-shirts etc) and they sell them for you - again, I don't know how lucrative it is.
Also even if you can't use Adsense any more on your websites - what about other ad providers - there is more about this on these forums somewhere- just do a search - but Commission Junction springs to mind and Never Blue Ads (haven't tried these myself so have no knowledge how much they will earn you).
Also you can do on-line surveys - not great - some pay cash and some pay Amazon vouchers - not a reliable income as they don't send them very often, but it may all ad to the pot! There's some links to survey sites here and one is just for students.
Good Luck!
# 13
brettcta
Old 09-02-2008, 7:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

are you at one of the manchester universities?

try getting some information on a bursary, they are available for a wide range of students. i was in a bit of a hole (nothing this bad (i'm not saying your situation is bad, but you know...)) and i found out i can (and will be getting) a bursary from the uni.

even if they say no, you wont know until you find out. i'm getting an extra £660 from my uni through the bursary system.
helpful tips
it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
there - 'in or at that place'
their - 'owned by them'
they're - 'they are'
it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for 6.34)
# 14
martyn11post
Old 09-02-2008, 8:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

As Mrs Money said, there are plenty of alternatives to adsense, which often pay higher.
From my site, Money Making Student, I've found making a large income difficult. I find I don't have enough time to promote it, but my current income pays for a couple of pints a week!
Online surveys are time consuming, I suggest Toluna, as they often give you points when your not part of the target group. I'm currently awaiting a couple of £5 vouchers from them to spend in sainsbury.
Also try looking for home tutoring work, I hear that can often pay well, and can help you apply what you are learning at the moment.

Hope that helps,
Martyn.
# 15
Stubert
Old 09-02-2008, 8:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yeah online surveys aren't really worth the money compared to the amount of time it takes to fill them out. Do some more work at Waitrose.

Also lie to fit criteria. Make yourself as interesting as possible and don't say you know anybody who works in any of those fields.
# 16
brettcta
Old 11-02-2008, 3:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=179491

bish bash bosh
helpful tips
it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
there - 'in or at that place'
their - 'owned by them'
they're - 'they are'
it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for 6.34)
# 17
ladymarmalade
Old 11-02-2008, 7:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

looking at your food bill, i really thnk you could get that down by £25....i'm a student in notts and last year when i lived in student accommdtion i only spent £25 on food a fornight, if that.
# 18
inamabilis
Old 13-02-2008, 1:24 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Look at getting another job in Nottingham - maybe just an evenining a week - do you have wednesday afternoons off?
Also since you're going to be on placement next year which i presume is paid I wouldnt be to concerned about dipping in to your overdraft - that's what it's there for and is a form of 'good debt' - I'm assuming you have a student account?
Everyone needs a volume control -
When you shout every day and make everthing a catastrophe,
no one will hear you when you need to say something really important.

# 19
Queen of NO MATTER WHAT
Old 30-01-2009, 6:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHesp View Post

I have planned my money and its as showed

Income - 200 per month
Outgoing - 100 per month - bills
40 per month - travel
75 per month - food

Total - 215. Thats -15 a month but probably a bit more, like when i go home I may go the cinema and when she comes to see me we go for a drink.
Lets say 50, that leaves me 65 short.

Hiya, from one fellow Nottingham student to another...

Firstly have you got a rail card? you're travelling home on the train I assume and you could be saving 1/3 every time you travel, there is an inital 24 to pay for card but it soon pays for itself

Secondly: food, 75 could be cut down by careful meal planning and budget shopping, can you cook? have you got a freezer? cooking meals from scratch and meal planning has saved me no end of money. Look for and learn how to cook cheap cuts of meat, make soups...there are loads of ways you can eat cheap and healthy on a budget. (I'd be happy to share more if you want or you could look on the Old Style board for lots of tips) Do you take a packed lunch? A flask instead of buying coffee? If you are into fizzy drinks buy a big bottle and decanter it into smaller bottles - all sounds really geeky but ways to cut down the cash when you're skint.

Thirdly - bills - does this include everything? mobile, elec, gas? Do you house share? are there any ways you can cut down energy consumption? Do you have internet at home that you could perhaps cancel and rely on the uni facilities? Is there anything else you could cancel? Gym, insurance policies? etc?

You could always look for a job in Nottingham? There are plenty of agencies, my poor boyfriend (also a student) worked in a factory for a few months last summer until something he'd rather do came along and I did an early morning cleaning job for min wage just to bring some extra cash in. This year we're surviving on our loans only by getting super money savvy and acting like money saving geeks!
*wonders when they will make dressing gowns acceptable day wear?*

No new toiletries challenge - use up the stash first!

NSD Jan 2/15
The Following User Says Thank You to Queen of NO MATTER WHAT For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
cupid_s
Old 30-01-2009, 6:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When I was at Uni I worked every summer. In 18 weeks I earned 4200 and it didn't pay amazingly. The extra you earn by working full time over the summer should more than compensate for the deficit you experience through the other months.
Closed Thread