Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Shop but don't drop > Whose printer cartridges are cheapest? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Whose printer cartridges are cheapest?
Closed Thread
Views: 64,710
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Jolanta Nowak
Old 29-01-2008, 11:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Whose printer cartridges are cheapest?

Am fed up with buying expensive replacement cartridges for Lexmark and am looking for a new printer which doesn't cost a fortune in that area.

Any suggestions, please?
# 2
spakkker
Old 29-01-2008, 3:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have a look at this forum- http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/
The cheapest option is to refill yourself.But you must get inks that are easy to refill- I use canon cli-8 cartridges and they are easy to refill. Lexmark are not so easy I've heard. Newer printers are getting harder to avoid oem ink.
The Following User Says Thank You to spakkker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Smartypants
Old 29-01-2008, 5:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi: used to have a Lexmark printer which I loved but had to give it away when the new PC arrived with Vista which wasn't compatible. You can buy ink to refill the cartridges yourself quite easily - have a look on Ebay - its really cheap. Our new printer is an Epsom and the cartridges are about 6.99 from PC World which seemed to be a hell of a lot cheaper but then found they only lasted 5 minutes compared to the Lexmark.
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool like me!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Smartypants For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Jake'sGran
Old 29-01-2008, 5:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

After a lot of trial and error I have settled on Inkcycle for my compatibles. The originals for HP are very expensive (should have looked at that before I bought the printer). The compatibles/refills seem to be fine and Inkcyle give points on every purchase which can be redeemed as cash.
# 5
Charlton King
Old 29-01-2008, 7:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'd like to know the answer to this one, too. Seems to me that some cartridges can cost as much as the original price of the printer!
# 6
bookduck
Old 30-01-2008, 8:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

price the cartridges first, then choose a printer and quality thereof around the cartridges. Make sure you have more than one source of cheap cartridge, or you may find you bought into a 'special offer'

If you are doing many prints ebay CIS, then choose your printer according to price and quality.
Quote:
GOOGLE it before you ask, you'll often save yourself a lot of time.

Last edited by bookduck; 30-01-2008 at 8:05 AM.
# 7
Stephen Leak
Old 30-01-2008, 11:05 AM

At Dabs4work.com, the cartridges for the new Epson Stylus D120 printer (£54.43 + VAT) are £6.71 + VAT for black (2 required) and £6.72 + VAT for cyan, magenta or yellow. A pack of all 5 is £16.72 +VAT.
# 8
codheadling
Old 30-01-2008, 2:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

epson d92 printers are currently on offer at pc world at only 29.99 and free delivery
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=
the compatible cartridges are very also cheap on ebay,the printer also has seperate cartridges for each colour which means they last longer,i got one myself a couple of months back and have found the printing quality using epson and the ebay cartridges to be excellent
The Following User Says Thank You to codheadling For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Jolanta Nowak
Old 30-01-2008, 9:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by codheadling View Post
epson d92 printers are currently on offer at pc world at only 29.99 and free delivery
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...&category_oid=
the compatible cartridges are very also cheap on ebay,the printer also has seperate cartridges for each colour which means they last longer,i got one myself a couple of months back and have found the printing quality using epson and the ebay cartridges to be excellent
Frankly, I rarely print anything other than wordprocessing. When I DO print a webpage, the colour content is almost always unnecessary.

Does this mean I could just fit the one black ink cartridge to the D92?
# 10
codheadling
Old 31-01-2008, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

yes, you get a full set of cartridges with the printer and you only need to replace the black one when its empty,ive just had a look on ebay and you can get a pack of 3 black compatible cartridges for less than 6 pounds including p&p
# 11
djohn2002uk
Old 02-02-2008, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolanta Nowak View Post
Almost certain that you can't run on black cartridge only. The printer will stop if ANY cartridge is empty or missing.
# 12
KILL BILL
Old 02-02-2008, 4:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Frankly, I rarely print anything other than wordprocessing. When I DO print a webpage, the colour content is almost always unnecessary.

there should be a setting on the printer setup page just before you print allowing you to print color images in black only thus saving your color ink
# 13
seilbahn
Old 02-02-2008, 4:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:

Be warned, some printers, notably Epson won't print if one of the colour cartridges is empty, not even in B&W. I don't know if this applies to the D92

If you rarely print colour, perhaps you should be looking at a mono laser printer.
# 14
bap98189
Old 14-02-2008, 2:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you are going to do a lot of printing, I would definitely avoid Lexmark and HP. The reason is that the printhead on these machines is on the print cartridge, meaning there are no compatible inks available. Those which are are actually refilled cartridges, and the price saving between the genuine and compatible is not great because they need genuine original cartridges to make them with.

If you buy and Epson or a Canon you will find much cheaper inks available. Avoid any Canon printer that uses a combined cartridge such as PG-40 or CL-41. You want one with 4 or more cartridges as that way when a particular colour runs out you only have to replace that one, not throw away a combined cartridge with loads of in still in it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bap98189 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
bap98189
Old 14-02-2008, 2:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seilbahn View Post
If you rarely print colour, perhaps you should be looking at a mono laser printer.

I would second that. You can buy a mono laser for about 45 nowadays. I bought a Samsung one about a year ago, and it has only just run out of toner. A replacemnent toner cartridge may set you back more than the printer, but they are very easy to refill. A refill toner cost me 15 and I only used about a third of it to refill the cartridge, so a good investment I reckon.
# 16
rosekitten
Old 14-03-2008, 3:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

my epson 890 wont run without
any colour ink in it,but you can set
it to print in black ink,so long as there
is a colour cartridge in the printer with
some ink in it,I mostly only ever print
in black ink so seldom have to buy
colour ink.Did notice in Staples that
the older the printer the cheaper the
ink as I have had mine about six years
cant wait for mine to be classed as an
older model noticed in Staples it was
16.59 its coming down as in the past
its been around 24.99
# 17
vivabella
Old 19-03-2008, 11:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Whose printer cartridges are cheapest?
I get my ink cartridges for my Epson 670 from rubberfrog. currently 10 black @14.80. 7 colour @16.66 all including shipping. and fast delivery.
I have always found them to be excellent in my printer and get really good results.
# 18
pennee1981
Old 14-03-2009, 3:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Lexmark x4690 grumbles

Hi. I was very happy with my printer - until yesterday when it ran out of colour ink. Feeling a bit let down by PC World. Dropped by Cartridge World today to be told in no uncertain terms that Lexmark were ripping people off with newer printers, as they are in a deal with the retailer to supply black (no 4) and colour (no 5) cartridges. Also, they don't have as much ink in them - less ink, same price. They are single use only. Just read this: http://www.inksave.co.uk/lexmark-dell-info/ . So, I can't buy refills (very eco-unfriendly I think) and it is going to cost me the best part of 30 to buy a colour cartridge. That's half the cost of the printer itself! The printer won't print until I've got one installed.

So, does anyone know where I might be able to find these cartridges for a reasonable price? It's a long shot I know. I've complained to Lexmark but I'm sure they won't give a monkey's. Tried ebay but it's the same price as PC World right now.
# 19
Maysie
Old 14-03-2009, 9:05 PM

I buy mine from www.cartridgeuk.com luckily for me they have a shop in my town so no postage.

i just buy their own ink no problems with it in my hp printer.
# 20
pennee1981
Old 15-03-2009, 6:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well, I could try that, but you say you have an HP - I'll probably find that they won't have the Lexmark ones I need. But thanks for the suggestion!
Closed Thread