PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Recipes for houmous & falafels

Options
Hi, I wondered if anyone has good recipes for home made houmous and falafel. My DD has just announced she wants to go veggie and having tried and not liked a shop bought falafel mix, would like to make my own.
Also houmous, I guess that must be really easy to whizz up in a food processor !

Comments

• davetaylor
    Options
    I've tried to make houmous before, but it never seems to end up like the ones I buy in the shops.
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Red Pepper Houmous

1 seeded and roughly chopped red pepper
    1 large clove of garlic
    400g can chickpeas, drained
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    dash of tabasco or other 'hot' sauce
    salt & freshly ground black pepper

Place ingredients in a food processor and process until reasonably smooth. Season to taste and chill until needed.( I make mine with a stick blender and it works fine) HTH
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • debbiedebt
    Options
    I would also like a good recipe for falafel. I buy the Cauldron ones but they are too expensive for a DFW!!!
    Debt Free Date [STRIKE]December[/STRIKE] June 2019

GC January £0/£180
  • Fozz
    Fozz Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the houmous recipe, it sounds great!

Have found a felafel recipe, haven't tried it but here goes:

225g chickpeas, soaked, cooked and drained or 2 425g cans, drained
    1 egg
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 tbsps chopped parsley
    1 clove garlic
    1 tsp each ground coriander and cumin
    pinch chilli pwder
    salt and pepper
    flour, egg and breadcrumbs
    oil for frying

Mash chickpeas thoroughly, then add egg, onion, parsley, garlic and spices. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Shape into flat circles about 1 cm thick, coat in flour,egg and breadcrumbs. Shallow fry for 3 mins each side, or deepfry. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve in pitta bread with tomato, cucumber and lemon wedges, or with salad and natural yogurt withfresh herbs or spring onions stirred in.
    If using canned chickpeas you may need to add some fresh breadcrumbs to make the mixture firm enough to shape. This mixture can be frozen before frying.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Fozz,

There are lots of recipes for humous that might help on this thread:

Humous recipes please

Pink
  • debbiedebt
    Options
    Ellidee I tried your recipe and it's yummy. I didn't have a fresh red pepper so I used one from a jar (Lidl) and because they're a bit oily I didn't add extra oil but added a couple of tsps of tahini instead.

I'm going to try Fozz's falefel today.
    Debt Free Date [STRIKE]December[/STRIKE] June 2019

GC January £0/£180
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Well thanks debbie but it's not MY recipe actually but from Joanna Hall's book 'Drop a size in two weeks flat'. Good tip about using a pepper from a jar though must try that. :beer:
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    HI
    The falafels that I have had weren't in crumb- if you didn't want that there is a recipe on video jug http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-falafel or Ainsley on BBC ( I also have this one in a book) http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/foolprooffalafelwith.
  • metherer
    Options
    Fozz - can I ask, how many does your recipe serve?

Thanks
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    I give up - I have spent thr last hour looking for a falafel recipe on the OS board with no joy. Has anyone got a good one? (recipe that is!)
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport