Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > How much does a new kitchen really cost? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much does a new kitchen really cost?
Closed Thread
Views: 80,805
# 1
elle_gee
Old 24-01-2008, 1:11 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default How much does a new kitchen really cost?

In the Wickes booklet that came through my front door this evening, there are 'Takeaway Kitchens'. Prices start at £242 for the basic one; package includes 3 x 1000mm base units, 2 x 1000mm wall units, 1 x 500mm wall unit, 1 x 500mm three drawer unit and 1 x 600mm built under oven housing unit.

What i would really like to know, is how much to all the extras add up to on top? Obviously I can see that sinks, taps, worktops and appliances aren't included in the price, plus whatever else I've not thought of!

I think the units are a good number for our small kitchen - it would leave some gaps but they will be filled with appliances (washing machine and tumble drier) and I'd quite like to put shelves up instead of all wall units.

Has anyone gutted their kitchen and refitted with one of these Takeaway Kitchens from Wickes, B&Q etc? Good or bad idea? The overall idea is to do this house up to sell it - its a bungalow, more suited to a retiree.

Thanks!

Last edited by elle_gee; 24-01-2008 at 1:15 AM.
# 2
Heynow123
Old 24-01-2008, 2:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Your looking at thousands
No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
# 3
emg
Old 24-01-2008, 8:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I did my b&q kitchen for around 1200 including 5 base units 6 wall units, larder cupboard, worktop and sink (not from B&Q - off ebay) and tiles. I had a relative help me fit it and didnt buy new appliances - thats what kept the costs down. I could have done it cheaper as the doors I chose were around 25 each and they had plain maple doors at around 6 each.
# 4
Greenr
Old 24-01-2008, 8:50 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle_gee View Post
In the Wickes booklet that came through my front door this evening, there are 'Takeaway Kitchens'. Prices start at 242 for the basic one; package includes 3 x 1000mm base units, 2 x 1000mm wall units, 1 x 500mm wall unit, 1 x 500mm three drawer unit and 1 x 600mm built under oven housing unit.

What i would really like to know, is how much to all the extras add up to on top? Obviously I can see that sinks, taps, worktops and appliances aren't included in the price, plus whatever else I've not thought of!

I think the units are a good number for our small kitchen - it would leave some gaps but they will be filled with appliances (washing machine and tumble drier) and I'd quite like to put shelves up instead of all wall units.

Has anyone gutted their kitchen and refitted with one of these Takeaway Kitchens from Wickes, B&Q etc? Good or bad idea? The overall idea is to do this house up to sell it - its a bungalow, more suited to a retiree.

Thanks!
I bought a wickes takeaway kitchen in their 50% sale last april. I measured and designed the kitchen myself and it was a real bargain! (plus a friend fitted it so a huge saving there) we have an oak shaker style with approx 8 cupboards and a set of drawers. including the work surface (we bought two of the standard lengths), it came to 600 - bargain!!

These are the things I learnt:

1) remeber to buy plinth - the wood that goes along the bottom to hide the legs
2) if any of the cupboard sides are on view - unless you're happy with them white, you have to buy extra side bits to match the cupboard doors
3)make sure you get your measurements very accurate...
4) the wine racks are very good at filling small places
5) the type of sink you have will depend on what cupboards you have underneath it.

Everything i have brought from wickes has been good quality and great value for money!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
tododo
Old 24-01-2008, 9:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just paid aboout a grand myself including 3 3m lenth worktops
Astracast Sink and tap (ebay)
Plenty of units now... including wineracks to fill up odd gaps
Fitted myself, only thing left to do is bolt the mitred worktops together
There is a 70% sale in focus....ok the quality isnt the greatest but compared to the very very dated units we had before Im happy
As were are planning for a new extension in the future these will do very nicely until we have enough cash
Closed Thread