Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • druss_the_axeman
    • By druss_the_axeman 16th Jan 08, 9:58 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 4Thanks
    druss_the_axeman
    Estate Agents Fees + VAT ?
    • 16th Jan 08, 9:58 AM
    Estate Agents Fees + VAT ? 16th Jan 08 at 9:58 AM
    Just a quick simple question. Is it normal practice for estate agents to charge VAT on the fee when they sell your house. It's bad enough that their fees are way disproportionate to the work they do, but this just adds insult to injury.

I spent some time negotiating our fee down to 1.25%, only to find in the documentation that it's now 1.25% + vat, only to find that makes the fee 1.46%.

Also, I always thought the idea of VAT was that it was to cover the idea that an item could be sold on, how then can anyone charge VAT on labour or on fees like this.

Cheers
    Duncan
Page 1
  • Strapped
    • 16th Jan 08, 10:08 AM
    • 16th Jan 08, 10:08 AM
    In a word, yes - it's "normal practice" (in fact, the law )
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 16th Jan 08, 10:23 AM
    • 765 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 16th Jan 08, 10:23 AM
    • 16th Jan 08, 10:23 AM
    I always account for this in my negotiations with estate agents. I find it odd that almost every other consumer business is not allowed to quote ex tax prices and yet EA's, for whom 99% of their customers are "retail consumers" are.
  • Strapped
    • 16th Jan 08, 10:33 AM
    • 16th Jan 08, 10:33 AM
    From Directgov website:

"Most retail prices on bills and receipts include VAT - it is not shown separately. However some may have a line under which they show the VAT element. This doesn't mean you're being charged extra - it just shows how much of the price is made up of tax.

Non-retail invoices from VAT-registered suppliers (for example from builders or painters and decorators who are VAT registered) must show a separate amount for VAT. They must also show the 9-digit VAT registration number of the business."

BTW, the point about checking for the VAT number is important, esp. if EA is a small independent. If they're not registered for VAT (and they don't have to be if turnover <£64k) then they could be charging it anyway and pocketing it...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,046Posts Today

7,097Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin