Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    chrissiewants2save
    0 WOW
    Comet-guarantee-
    • 13th Jan 08, 7:01 PM
    0 WOW
    Comet-guarantee- 13th Jan 08 at 7:01 PM
    Hi- any advice on the following would be great. I'll try to be brief but accurate.
    We Bought an LG USA style fridge/freezer from Comet in March 2007. Decided to buy extended guarantee, however item is still under manufacturers guarantee.
    November it developed a fault although still working. Comet sent an engineer (the usual "any time between 8-6 O'Clock") who then ordered a part. Later in Dec a different engineer visited (between 8-6!) with the part but on starting to fit it, gave up as the part was either incorrect or it wouldn't alone fix the problem. :confused: So, he arranged for another part to be ordered. On the day the engineer was due (between 8-6) we received a call cancelling the engineer , they decided it was more economical to replace the fridge freezer. We then received a letter from comet stating we were authorised to ‘have a replacement product of the same or equivalent specification’. We purchased the item in a sale for £449 (bargain) with an extended warranty purchased £150 for 5 years and a £50 delivery charge.

Hope your still with me –we additionally had confirmation of our entitlement in a phone call to comet- replacement despite any price difference.

A visit to the Comet store- the same fridge was no longer available. The same specification fridge by LG was however with a slightly remodelled front and handles but same specification as checked on the website. Now at a price of £799 and one digit up in the model number! The store manager was not prepared to replace the product unless we paid the difference!! As I said this must happen often with sale products since they are generally end of range additionally manufacturers replace products quite frequently.

Has this happened to anyone out there? What was your outcome? I will be writing to Comet (I will not let this rest) so has anyone got any advice as to what to say/quote? Additionally can I claim re-imbursement for loosing a days holiday. If they had cancelled the day before rather than on the morning of the intended engineers visit I could have worked the day and not lost a holiday day.

Any Q’s I’ll answer ASAP. Please help.
    Thank you

p.s- i have all paper work. If i decide to have a refund, which was indicated in the store what happens about my extended warranty of £150 and delivery £50. I presume i've lost the delivery cost.
    Last edited by chrissiewants2save; 13-01-2008 at 7:24 PM. Reason: the addition of "p.s ...."
    Chrissie

Must save time as well as money!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,615Posts Today

6,766Users online

Martin's Twitter