IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Free Web Site Software
Views: 100,937
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Browntoa
Old 25-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Free Web Site Software

This is a FULL free version...no time limits, no nag screens

Nvu (pronounced N-view, for a "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.

www.nvu.com

Nvu builds are now available for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X and FreeBSD.

Screenshots

See for yourself below just how easy it is for anyone to create web pages in minutes, without any HTML experience or a technical background.

Full support forums and Demo's

http://www.nvu.com/support.html
I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Browntoa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
The Following 2 Users got this: Show me >>
# 2
Stumpy
Old 25-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks - I'll try and have a play with that
# 3
Browntoa
Old 26-06-2005, 9:23 AM

I forgot to mention, the second picture is a built in FTP (File Transfer Program) that will upload your web site to your web space (most ISP's give you free web space !!)

just fill in your log on details etc
I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

# 4
blinko
Old 26-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

can u make flash websites with this software ?
# 5
Browntoa
Old 26-06-2005, 11:16 AM

you cannot make flash web sites from scratch but you can unsert flash buttons etc into it

it also allows you to uses PHP...which is useful for more advanced web sites

# 6
Browntoa
Old 26-06-2005, 11:21 AM

just spotted this free add-on to it...a free tutorial

http://cvs.nvu.com/download/nvutut-0.1-en-US.xpi

# 7
Lt Sched
Old 30-06-2005, 9:24 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the info. Might have my first go at building a site then! Any ideas on how secure it is? Cheers again.
Lt.
Waves bring peace, surf more!
# 8
Browntoa
Old 02-07-2005, 7:24 PM

I've found a second piece of software that does "Flash" websites(if you know what they are..lol)

Quote :-

The JGenerator 2.x MX
The JGenerator is a web server production application that dynamically combines text, graphics, and sound to build rich Flash™ content. Similar to the Macromedia® Generator™ product, JGenerator uses the same data format and the same set of objects to perform the same tasks.

Designers use the Macromedia® Flash™ extension, Generator Objects, to create templates containing placeholders for graphics, text, and sound. These will be replaced with the source content, the actual text files, databases, and graphics. The JGenerator then reads the template, performs all substitutions and commands, and generates a Flash player movie which can be played back in a browser.

The JGenerator frees designers from the tedium of updating Flash movies each time they make a small change to the content.

The JGenerator works both online and offline:
  • Online, the JGenerator runs under a web server and generates Flash movies by request from a browser.
    Using online mode, the Flash content of your web site will always be up to date.
  • Offline, the JGenerator runs in command line and generates static (.swf) movies which can be played back or used as required.
    Using offline mode, a designer can generate thousands of Flash movies using just one template!

The JGenerator provides a Java-based API (Application Programming Interface) for dynamically buildind Flash movies either from a standalone program or from a servlet. The API fully covers and supports all versions of Flash file format (.swf, .swt) up to version 6 (Flash MX).

The JGenerator is available in two different editions: Enterprise Edition and Community Edition. Enterprise Edition is a commercial version of JGenerator which requires a license. Community Edition is a free, open-sourced version of JGenerator which can be freely downloaded and used without any restrictions. Community Edition lacks some of the features which Enterprise Edition has and while we continue to develop Community Edition however we provide only very limited technical support for it. http://www.jzox.com/downloads.jsp

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Browntoa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
elvis_bloggs
Old 02-07-2005, 7:31 PM
PPR

It all looks really nice but since I am one of the planets thickos then I shall give it a miss, I like a simple life.

# 10
Browntoa
Old 02-07-2005, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Sched
Thanks for the info. Might have my first go at building a site then! Any ideas on how secure it is? Cheers again.
Lt.
not sure what you mean by secure ??

no spyware/adware/trojans attached to the software....I use it myself and I never install anything that i don't check first !!

theres no catch to the software being free...

# 11
PeterTheBike
Old 27-06-2007, 4:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

You might have a look at the Website Builder by http://www.ewisoft.com/. If you want to see the sort of thing you can do, my simple website at http://www.bicyclingforbeginners.org.uk/why.htm is an example of what you can do.

If you spent some time I am sure you could do a lot better than my attempt!
# 12
Kate-B
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Sounds great just can't figure out how to get it lol. Anyone help?
# 13
MagicFreebiesUK
Old 08-04-2008, 11:56 AM
MoneySaving Convert

you guys should watch the CSS and XHTML markup tutorials at Lynda. I personally use Dreamweaver & Adobe Flash to create my pages but these tutorials will help you with whatever programs you use.

There was a free 7 day Lynda pass posted a few days ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to MagicFreebiesUK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Chrissie1803
Old 07-05-2008, 1:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Adobe Acrobat

Hi, I've been told that I need to get Adobe Acrobat free download to receive pdf files, but each time I go on the site they ask for banking details. Can anybody help please.:confused:
# 15
-TangleFoot-
Old 07-05-2008, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie1803 View Post
Can anybody help please.:confused:
You need Adobe Reader, not Acrobat.
# 16
shammyjack
Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 AM

Wink

Adobe Reader is Bloatware and very slow !

Try this for a free PDF reader that is fast and small

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

shammy
# 17
-TangleFoot-
Old 08-05-2008, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammyjack View Post
Try this for a free PDF reader that is fast and small

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
Small and fast it certainly is, but at the moment their download server's a little slow. Updating from version 2.2 to 2.3 took an interminably long time, and I had to restart the process several times before it'd downloaded the whole package.

Aside from that, it's a cracking piece of software.
# 18
anthf
Old 13-07-2008, 11:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Website Builder

CAN anybody put me in right direction for adobe photoshop or equivalant to build a website.
# 19
-TangleFoot-
Old 13-07-2008, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthf View Post
...adobe photoshop or equivalant...
Photoshop isn't a website creation tool, it's an image editing application. If that's what you're after, try Paint.NET or the GNU Image Manipulation Program.
# 20
savetilibleed
Old 26-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Sched View Post
Lt.
If by secure you mean stable, well, if you have problems with nvu crashing or freezing (I did) there is an unofficial improvement called Kompozer at http://kompozer.net/

It's nowhere near as polished as Frontpage or Dreamweaver but for free is better than some cheap web editing programs. And it's not terribly laden with code so the pages load quite quickly which was noticeable when I still had dialup. I had my site written originally in Frontpage Express then later edited in Word. I remade it in nvu now Kompozer.

For uploading to Webspace I still prefer to use a standalone FTP program like Ipswitch WS_FTP Home. Think I got mine freeby from a PC magazine coverdisc sometime back.