IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
grant for Rewiring?
Closed Thread
Views: 21,160
# 1
busiscoming2
Old 16-12-2007, 2:08 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default grant for Rewiring?

Hi Does anyone know if there is a grant (or suchlike) available to help towards the cost of rewiring my house? We have a 1970,s built house that has zinc wire, which is prone to breaking. It worries me it is dangerous, but we probably couldn't afford the total cost of a rewire as being a town house, I suspect it would probably be in the region of 3k.
# 2
greyteam1959
Old 16-12-2007, 3:28 PM

Sounds to me like you have lead covered rubber wiring...........I personally would get the whole place rewired at whatever cost cos it is highly dangerous especially as yours seems in an advanced stage of decay.
As to grant aid I dont really know but I think it is highly unlikely that you will find any grants for this sort of work......
# 3
Poppycat
Old 16-12-2007, 4:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Theres home repair assistance grant (it woudl depend on need and I assume your income) but it is hard to get and can take forever to get any money

Try your local council some examples below
http://www.richmond.gov.uk/home/hous...ance_grant.htm
http://www.berwick-upon-tweed.gov.uk...ance-grant.htm

# 4
nuttywoman
Old 16-12-2007, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppycat View Post
Theres home repair assistance grant (it woudl depend on need and I assume your income) but it is hard to get and can take forever to get any money

Try your local council some examples below
http://www.richmond.gov.uk/home/hous...ance_grant.htm
http://www.berwick-upon-tweed.gov.uk...ance-grant.htm
We tried to get assistance with a home repair grant for re wiring, cos we`re on benefits due to hubby`s ill health. A bloke from local council came out and after making snide remarks ha adviced us to probably wait unitl we had a small electrical fire and claim on our home insurance.He also suggested we sell a few items as well.
We chucked him out!
# 5
HugoSP
Old 16-12-2007, 7:21 PM

This thread is quite informative:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...73#post7271973
Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
2 savings jar - now at 3.42
# 6
pippin49
Old 16-12-2007, 9:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

[quote=nuttywoman;7272925]We tried to get assistance with a home repair grant for re wiring, cos we`re on benefits due to hubby`s ill health. A bloke from local council came out and after making snide remarks ha adviced us to probably wait unitl we had a small electrical fire and claim on our home insurance.He also suggested we sell a few items as well.
We chucked him out! [/quote
What an ar*ehole he is. You are entitled to rewiring, go through the OT from your local team. Your living in a death trap. As hubby is disabled this will be high priority. Get to CAB and report it all.Report him to council, he is probably sub contracted to them. Report it to your local paper as well. This guy seems to prey on vurnable folk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pippin49 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
fralma
Old 22-06-2010, 4:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default rewiring

I have been quoted 3000 for a complete rewire for a three bedroom house. It wasquoted by the Gas Board who also told me that I would have to move out and remove all furniture for the duration. This will cost me another 700. Is this usual practice as I am disabled and living on Pension Credit and this is a nightmare! Also does anyone know if there are any grants available for this work?
The Following User Says Thank You to fralma For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
baldelectrician
Old 22-06-2010, 6:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fralma View Post
I have been quoted 3000 for a complete rewire for a three bedroom house. It wasquoted by the Gas Board who also told me that I would have to move out and remove all furniture for the duration. This will cost me another 700. Is this usual practice as I am disabled and living on Pension Credit and this is a nightmare! Also does anyone know if there are any grants available for this work?
the gas board are usually expensive, see below for links to find a regsitered electrical firm.

It isn't normal practise to do require a customer to 'move out'.

I did a rewire last year where the old dear (>84) refused to shift to her daughters whilst the work was done, so she stayed in the conservatory for most of the works (during the day) and we had all the floors / carpets down in the areas where she used every night. The spare furnature was piled in the spare rooms by her family

Seek a local company that can give you some references.
You should use a competent person for the work, links below
In Scotland:
Individuals registered;
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
Companies
http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/Sear...T=Construction
In England and Wales:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk
baldly going on...

Last edited by baldelectrician; 22-06-2010 at 6:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to baldelectrician For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Mankysteve
Old 22-06-2010, 7:49 PM

You could bring the cost down by finding a friendly electrician and doing the chasing of cable and laying the cables your self and get them to sign off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mankysteve For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
baldelectrician
Old 22-06-2010, 8:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankysteve View Post
You could bring the cost down by finding a friendly electrician and doing the chasing of cable and laying the cables your self and get them to sign off.
An electricain that does this stuff on a regualr basis (ie as a business) has the stuff to do the job

I have a wall chaser and a grinder, as well as a channelling chisel etc.

The 'problem' with people not in your supervision lies in what happens when smoething goes wrong?
What if the cable is put in the wrong place / wrong height / damaged during install?

If I do the whole job I am in full control of all the electrics, less problems etc.

And I am ususally 30%-60% less than a gas board quote, so money is saved already
baldly going on...
The Following User Says Thank You to baldelectrician For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread