Council MOT testing centre in Croydon

Options
Has anyone used this to get their car MOT'd.

Need to get my car MOt'd wanted to get it done there as I don't want to be ripped off but I also don't want any grief!!!

Any experiences??

x

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. If the testing station is primarilary for taxis and buses,
    1. They are VERY strict on taxis
    2. They will resent you taking up their valuable time, and will fail you on the slightest thing.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    The article actually advises using a council test centre and people have reported being failed less often when using these as opposed to a garage which also carries out repairs.

Can't see why you'd get any grief or be resented for it, read this if you haven't already and you'll see many other moneysavers have benefitted by using council MOT Centres...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot
  • a&akay
    a&akay Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    I've had about 60 MoTs in my time, watched the inspector throughout and had good and bad IMHO. Generally bad from countrywide companies who fail the MoT to generate business and generally good from local garages who want to build up a good client base. They do of course fail when warranted but will warn you that something is on its way out eg worn discs, lightly blowing exhaust rather than fail outright. Based on Martin's recommendation I tried Harrogate Council this year. They had very few tests on. I watched and they were very thorough but as they don't do repairs they have no interest in generating business. I did however get the impression that they had a reputation to protect and that they erred on the safe side ie failed if marginal call. Re-test was free however, even though they were entitled to another fee. On balance I'd go for a small local garage which does MoTs.
  • glitterygirl
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills