Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    Boiler cover for landlord?
    • #1
    • 11th Nov 07, 11:48 AM
    Boiler cover for landlord? 11th Nov 07 at 11:48 AM
    I rent out a flat and manage it myself. I had a problem with a boiler last week and had huge problems finding a plumber. My usual one was on holiday and the 8 I called could not come out for at least 24 hours (even the emergency plumber). Was a total nightmare - tennant nearly moved out.

    I have therefore decided to get some sort of cover. I looked at the British Gas homecare 200. That would be enough - but are you allowed to use it on rented accomadation? I see they have a landlord cover for 18 a month - but that is more than I need (it gets you a gas certificate - which I already have and my local plumber does them for 40 - hardly worth the extra 7 a month).

    I have seen some smaller companies - but no idea how good they are and your unlikely to find out until you really need them.

    Does anyone know if I take the cover out - does it actually have to be me living in the property?
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Nov 07, 11:54 AM
    • 52,338 Posts
    • 287,481 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Nov 07, 11:54 AM
    • #2
    • 11th Nov 07, 11:54 AM
    Landlord's heatiing:

    They also do the annual inspection for you

    Landlord's plumbing: - £80/year
    • jebervic
    • By jebervic 11th Nov 07, 4:11 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Nov 07, 4:11 PM
    • #3
    • 11th Nov 07, 4:11 PM
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I use B-Gas and found them to be excellent - but not cheap

    Are Homeserve any good?
  • kayleigh
    • #4
    • 11th Nov 07, 4:30 PM
    • #4
    • 11th Nov 07, 4:30 PM
    I called up British Gas - explained I wanted the cover but not the landlord cover (it gets you a certificate - my local plumber does that and service for 40).

    Not a problem - 11.00 a month - they cover the property and send all bills, etc to me.

    Hopefully never again will I spend 3-4 hours phoning plumbers - have a tennent in tears as she has not hot water or heating.

    Only problem was I signed up over the phone - result I did not get 40 from quidco - maybe see if I cannot sign the paper work and reapply....
    • By CHRISSYG 19th Oct 10, 1:00 PM
    • 5,080 Posts
    • 13,345 Thanks
    • #5
    • 19th Oct 10, 1:00 PM
    • #5
    • 19th Oct 10, 1:00 PM
    if you use homeserve remember to go through quidco !
    • macman
    • By macman 19th Oct 10, 3:11 PM
    • 38,963 Posts
    • 15,695 Thanks
    • #6
    • 19th Oct 10, 3:11 PM
    • #6
    • 19th Oct 10, 3:11 PM
    You can get cover for all emergencies as a landlord from Deacon Insurance Brokers. It covers your heating system, plumbing and drainage, loss of keys and damaged windows. Costs 84.00 for the year but they do discounts for multi-properties.

    I think the website is
    Originally posted by Handy Hint Hunter
    Why are you dredging up 3 year old posts to give a recomnendation?
    Unless of course you have some connection with the aforementioned company...
    Just like your other 2 posts in fact.
    Spam reported.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Yorkie1
    • By Yorkie1 10th May 11, 7:36 PM
    • 10,897 Posts
    • 19,833 Thanks
    • #7
    • 10th May 11, 7:36 PM
    • #7
    • 10th May 11, 7:36 PM
    spam reported
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

422Posts Today

1,228Users online

Martin's Twitter