Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Lawnmower Man
    Winter Fuel allowance over 60
    • #1
    • 2nd Sep 03, 9:03 PM
    Winter Fuel allowance over 60 2nd Sep 03 at 9:03 PM
    If I understand correctly anybody over 60 can claim the above allowance.

    It is not means tested - you are 60 or over then claim it - even millionaires.

    Ring 08459 151515 or

    The quote from website is asfollows

    What is it?
    A Winter Fuel Payment is a one-off payment to help older people with their winter heating bills.

    Do I qualify?
    To get a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2003/2004 you need to be 60 or over in the qualifying week of 15 - 21 September 2003 and normally living in Great Britain or Northern Ireland in that week. However, some people cannot get a Winter Fuel Payment.

    Payments may continue if you leave or have left Great Britain or Northern Ireland. For more information, see our section on Winter Fuel Payments for people living in the European Economic Area or Switzerland .

    People who cannot get a Winter Fuel Payment
    You will not be able to get a payment if, during the qualifying week:

    you are in hospital receiving free in-patient treatment and have been receiving that treatment for more than 52 weeks

    your partner is getting Minimum Income Guarantee, paid through Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, and is entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment for both of you

    you are in custody under sentence

    you are subject to immigration control and not eligible for help from the Department for Work and Pensions. For example, an asylum seeker who claimed asylum at the port of entry after 3 April 2000

    you are living in a care home and have been doing so throughout that week and the previous 12 weeks and get help with your costs through the Minimum Income Guarantee paid through Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance. Care homes include residential care homes, nursing homes, local authority residential accommodation and Ilford Park Polish Resettlement Home.
    Hopes this helps -I am off to tell my father.

Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

357Posts Today

1,956Users online

Martin's Twitter