Short-term home insurance for renovation period

Options
Hello! I need you help with finding a right insurance for a flat we are going to buy on auction.
The thing is when I try to do a quote on home insurance comparison websites I can't find any which may be suitable for our needs. Many insurance companies will not cover our flats as they assume "there will be no renovation works on site". But in fact, they will be.

To summarise:
1) Flat from auction
2) Insurance for a few months (we want to buy, renovate and sell)
3) Flat renovation, fixes will be on site

How to find the right insurance in such situation? Can you recommend please some options?

Thanks!
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The freeholder is normally the one who insured the building so you will need to check out whether you will be permitted to carry out the works you are thinking about before you bid. The lease may have a clause which would prevent you doing something which invalidated the policy.

I don't know if you can request a copy of the building insurance policy as part of the auction legal pack, you be able to.
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Try https://www.selfbuildonline .co.uk if you own the whole building or renovation plan if the flat is in Scotland. If you intend to do more of them you need a contract works policy which will cover all the builds you undertake up to a specified sum insured. A local broker will be able to provide that for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure