Has anyone won with Halifax Savings?

Options
I am hoping to sell my BTL flat this year and have been thinking about putting some of it in the Halifax. I'm tempted by the prize draw they have each month but wondered if anyone had won this to date. I have PB's and also 2 Family Windfall bonds and love the thought of winning something.
Apr - Makitia DAB Radio

Wins 2013 £3996, 2014 £1125, 2015 £2906, 2016 £3058 2017 £1025 2018 £6738 2019 £326

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 8:30AM
    Options
    Halifax publish a list of winner locations for the big prizes.

All published prizes are paid out in full every month.

A few years ago I estimated the value of the prize pot to be 0.03% to a saver with exactly £5,000 saved. With more savers registered I'd assume that figure would be lower today.

Given the typical Halifax savings account rate and the low odds of winning their Prize Draw, I'd suggest Premium Bonds is a better place for your money if you've not got £50k yet. Or just put £5k in Halifax and get a better return for your money elsewhere on the rest and buy lottery tickets with your interest.

https://www.saversregistration.co.uk/history-of-the-draw
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really wouldn't suggest this promotion should be in any way part of your decision on where to put your money.

Put your money in the best place and then if it has this offer that's a bonus.
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why doesn't Halifax raise rates for all savers instead of running this gimmick?
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Because they are trying to confuse savers who cannot determine the limited value of this offer.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    keiran wrote: »

Because the increase would be minescule.
  • sovsov1357
    sovsov1357 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nope...I've taken my savings out of Halifax and moved to better paying interest rate accounts - this higher interest is in effect my winnings...
  • SeeMe
    SeeMe Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2018 at 10:23PM
    Options
    Yes i won a prize of £100 just over 3 years ago but have now moved my savings from the halifax, i got a letter i had to sign for so was hoping it was for a much bigger prize.
  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was entered for a few years - realised i was wasting my time and money and stopped.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    keiran wrote: »

That's what the Halifax has come to. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi.

Incidentally with Fred Flintstone and Top Cat being so ecstatically portrayed in their promotional gimmickry, I did ask at my local branch if there were any special rates they might offer me should I, a male, come into the branch without trousers on.

Still waiting for a response :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport