PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

struggling with defrosting food

Good evening Everyone,

As per the title I am struggling with defrosting stuff. I never seem to know how long or where. I already have anxiety about cooking stuff and keeping it cool as I am paranoid about giving food poisoning to someone.

To my shame I have even throw food away as its part defrosted and not sure if I should put it back in the fridge to finish off or not.

Thanks in advance everyone

Yours

Calley X
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Comments

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    I honestly think there's too much paranoia peddled about by 'experts' these days. I'm like you - sometimes chuck stuff rather than eat it because I feel unsure. There was a recent experiment on a foodie programme, think it was on channel 4 where they basically said you should only defrost stuff in the fridge, otherwise it's potentially unsafe. But having tried this - it takes days for a joint of meat to defrost like that and I don't ever think it defrosts in the middle. By the time it's defrosted, I'd want to chuck it because I'd think it's past the 3 days!

Anyway, I stick to what my Mum does and I've not made anyone (or myself sick, ever!) I take out what I want to use, the morning I want to use it and leave it to defrost on the side, under a fly cover or in the microwave. If it's not fully defrosted by the time I want to use it, I finish it off in the microwave and then I'm immediately re-heating it or cooking it, so it doesn't matter if it warms round the edges.

Obviously I'd be extra cautious if it was the height of summer and I wouldn't leave something in direct sunlight. I leave things out for less time in the summer because it's generally warmer.

I always re-heat or cook everything until it's piping hot all the way through.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March 2018 at 7:41PM
    If I remember to defrost stuff it's often not finished before I need to cook it - that's what the microwave on a defrost/low setting's for.

I usually defrost from frozen in the microwave and once it's fully defrosted I'll then start the cooking bit.

I think you're over-worrying. You didn't say what you're trying to defrost. But the only thing you need to worry about is that it's defrosted enough and/or then cooked enough to ensure that it's all hot all the way through IF the product involved is a "tricky one" like rice or chicken or pork.

If I were defrosting an apple pie, say - then there's nothing to worry about there even if I hit a block of ice in the middle as I was spooning it into my mouth because .... still frozen apple's not going to be a problem at all, just a disappointment :)

As for "where to" - it depends how long it's to be defrosted and what it is. Gateau for tea, out on the worktop to get it done fast/er; chicken for tomorrow, in the fridge; frozen apple pie for later today, out on the worktop; frozen apple pie for tomorrow, in the fridge and see how it goes by 1-2 hours before it goes into the oven and then drag it out onto the worktop.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I always defrost in the fridge for 1 or 2 days depending what it is.
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have a defrosting tray, a bit like this

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/thawboard-defrost-tray-for-food

I use it a lot.

But I don't use it for whole chickens or large joints of meat, I'd defrost those in the fridge, but it's fine (and very fast) for chops, sausages, mince, home-made frozen meals, and so on.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!

I think you're over-worrying. You didn't say what you're trying to defrost. But the only thing you need to worry about is that it's defrosted enough and/or then cooked enough to ensure that it's all hot all the way through IF the product involved is a "tricky one" like rice or chicken or pork.

Sorry my fault should have said its the tricky ones I have issues with defrosting, meat. I have been know to eat things like cake and biscuits and donuts straight out the freezer :eek: :rotfl:

My mum use to take the joint out the night before and bung on the draining board to cook the next day.

I do that and it never seems to defrost. Might be I just have a cold kitchen.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Im one who gets stuff out of the freezer and leaves it out to defrost

On a summers day Ive been known to leave stuff on the patio table to defrost :eek:

Call, either your kitchen is freezing, or you are buying huge joints

I will get a chicken out Saturday night and its defrosted by Sunday lunch no bother, and I rarely heat the kitchen

Something like a turkey I will defrost slowly over 48hrs in the empty bath
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    calleyw wrote: »
    Sorry my fault should have said its the tricky ones I have issues with defrosting, meat. I have been know to eat things like cake and biscuits and donuts straight out the freezer :eek: :rotfl:

My mum use to take the joint out the night before and bung on the draining board to cook the next day.

I do that and it never seems to defrost. Might be I just have a cold kitchen.

Yours

Calley x

This is why I prefer to buy meat fresh, even if it means it costs more because I can't buy in bulk. I buy good quality, free range stuff from my local butcher and just as needed. I also don't have a lot of room to be freezing big joints. It tastes better fresh too.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I express defrost in a sink or bowl of tepid water. It gets done quickly then in fridge to chill. Obviously only stuff like fish or meat, not gateau
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Popping food on a metal tray (either in the fridge or on the counter) significantly speeds up defrosting as does putting (sealed) food in a bowl of quite heavily salted cold water.
  • Wizzbang wrote: »
    it takes days for a joint of meat to defrost like that and I don't ever think it defrosts in the middle. By the time it's defrosted, I'd want to chuck it because I'd think it's past the 3 days!

Not just me then! It annoys me when labels say defrost in the fridge overnight: it's still frozen solid by the next day. I usually kick-start the process in the microwave and then put it in the fridge. That's another problem: if you try and do it all the way in the microwave you just end up with patches cooking whist the majority is still frozen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure