iPad memory. How much?

Options
kah22
kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
I’m on the lookout for a new iPad to replace my old iPad mini. As it is really only for personal use and I’m in no particular rush I think I’ll try and find a refurbished one.

The problem is I don’t know what storage I should aim for. I do know that the operation system will take a large chunk of it and I’m assuming pre-installed programs will do likewise. It will be for general use: surfing the net, the niece is into YouTube, photos, radio and some music

What would be your suggestions and why?

Kevin

Comments

• Catswhiska
    Catswhiska Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Really the biggest amount of storage you can afford. If you are keeping it for a few years then at least 64gb possibly 128gb
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    kah22 wrote: »
    It will be for general use: surfing the net, the niece is into YouTube, photos, radio and some music

If you're not fully bought in to the Apple ecosystem, which it doesn't sound as if you are, then go Android. You can get an Android tablet that takes SD cards, so you can expand memory very cheaply. The key thing to then look out for is how much system memory / RAM the device has, and not have to worry about general storage capacity. In our household we have a selection of iPads, but more recently 8" Kindle Fire HD, 10" Kindle Fire HD, and a Samsung tablet.

IMO you get a lot more value for money from an Android tablet, but be aware that not many apps (even now) are optimised for a tablet on Android, they're mainly targeted to phones. But from the usage you've mentioned that shouldn't be an issue for you.
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say 64GB should be plenty for you unless you like to store a lot of films/games/music, even then you may well be fine.

On my iPad Pro 10.5 I've used 14.6GB out of 64 and have all my favourite apps on there.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is the storage on your iPad Mini, has it ever been a problem for you? If not then what you've currently got is going to be fine in a newer iPad.
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got the basic 32gb and have only used 14gb. I don't take or store videos and have no music on it only a few photos so I find 32gb plenty.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I could change the memory I have in my Samsung tablet Id swap from 32GB to 64GB.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you're not fully bought in to the Apple ecosystem, which it doesn't sound as if you are, then go Android. You can get an Android tablet that takes SD cards, so you can expand memory very cheaply.
    I’m not an Apple disciple as such. I have an iPhone, iPod and an iPad mini 32gb with a little over 20gb used and I see what Tarambor means. That’s really what’s keeping me within the Apple family. I have a dreadful Windows laptop which I use if I’m doing detailed work
  • stojom
    stojom Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Before you change your iPad there's a rumour that the may be bringing out a cheaper one with same specs as last years model5. May be worth hanging on a couple of months.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If/when you do decide to go for an iPad in terms of photos there are apps like Google Photos whereby you can store unlimited copies in a compressed format or if you wish to keep higher quality images then it!!!8217;ll count towards your 15GB Google Drive allowance.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OP what have you decided to do ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts