Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Mar 18, 4:35 AM
    • 1,357Posts
    • 13,095Thanks
    O/S Daily Thursday 8th March 2018
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:35 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 8th March 2018 8th Mar 18 at 4:35 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 2
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 42,693 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs to all those in need.

CHS has been dropped at work, dgs dropped at school, I've had breakfast and hung up some washing. I've found someone to take over boat cleaning, I'm too busy helping my DD's to fit it in.

I'm taking my car to my ds today, I think the wheel bearings are going, damn!

DD1 is taking me for lunch tomorrow, DD2 is taking me for afternoon tea at a later date, both my Ds's are taking me and CHS for lunch on Sunday.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 6,200 Posts
    • 38,578 Thanks
    Poppy - such sad news. I hope that things progress swiftly for the benefit of all concerned. Dreadful times.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 8th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 15,846 Posts
    • 67,745 Thanks
    Morning all,

Bahhhh! Just Bahhhh! I need to give myself a good shake this morning as ive given in to the 'poor old mes again'.

Dumpling a reduction of Steves hours would be a good compromise if work would allow.

poppy811 what a sad situation your Son and his wife are going through. Take comfort in knowing its the right thing to do and your Son wont be seperated from his family forever. I often wonder what i would do if anything happened to my daughter in SA but i try not to dwell on it too much.

Hester i hope your car doesnt cost too much to fix. How are you getting on with your tennant now?

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 8th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 20,781 Thanks
    Morning all,

I had a rough night last night,the hounds ears were giving her trouble and she woofed at about 12.30.I went down and she was shaking her head like mad.Being such a large dog this isnt a quiet operation and I was mindful she could wake DS & DGS in the basement so stayed on the sofa- I store a rolled up quilt hidden at the back of it but still felt chilly until I found a fleecy blanket too but it took me ages to get to sleep and DGS woke at 5.30.I could hear them talking but he didnt pop up the stairs until 6.45 when he said 'ooh its snowing'.

By the time we set off for school it was melting but still caused traffic to be slow.Popped into a sda for a few bits.The men have requested mince and chips for tea.I also have some jeans to hem for DGD.My friend has just rung to see if I am free tomorrow afternoon so we'll try again for coffee and cake- she didnt offer any explanation as to why she didnt turn up so I didnt ask,but she sounded cheery enough.

Dumpling- sorry you are struggling & hope you can reach a good solution xx
    Gers- hope your DM has a lovely birthday weekend.
    HH glad you are eating better and managing to do some things
    Poppy,what a sad situation for you all.
    I'm another WASPI woman,had already left my job to help my DDad who had terminal lung cancer & I certainly didnt know then about the increase in age for SP.Women born in the 50s were supposed to have been notified as they had the least time to prepare.I got a very small works pension from 60 but its been a struggle at times especially when DH hasnt had a lot of work in.I also cant get a bus pass here until Im 66 which would have been a big help !
    Ah well ,better have a tidy,things always get a bit messy after the children have been Hope you all have the best day you can xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 15,665 Posts
    • 132,793 Thanks
    Poppy just nipped in to say how sorry I am and like the others hope that your dil's mum is pain free. Its an awful disease that takes far too many people. I have lost two relatives this year to it, plus an old neighbour.

My thoughts are will you and your family at this terribe time

Much love JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb:£30.49 March £19.11
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 8th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 19,356 Thanks
    We had some bad news last night - a good friend has been told his leukaemia has returned after 8 years. The poor chap has really been through it, not only the leukaemia but he had a severe stroke 5 years ago which left him without his speech and he also has diabetes. He is only 62 and kept himself very fit and was a non-smoker. I think the Doctors think there is probably a genetic element because all of his 3 sisters had strokes in their fifties as well.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 13,095 Thanks
    Poppy and Snoozer I'm really sorry to hear your bad news, my thoughts are with you and your families.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Mar 18, 4:08 PM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 42,693 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Judi I have appointed a managing agent, she now gets to deal with all the carp from the tenant.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 6,200 Posts
    • 38,578 Thanks
    Made it down OK. Just a load of slow traffic and umpteen roadworks to get through. At long last the atrocious state of the A83 is being addressed.

DM has been sent an enormous bouquet of beautiful and exotic flowers by a long standing friend. My SIL wanted to send some from Oz but we agreed on some champagne instead. I bought a helium ballon with 90 on it, she giggled!

I’ve been experiencing some nasty gastric episodes today. I ate up some mince which must have been dodgy. Things are calmer now but I’m not going to attend the supper at friends tonight. Best not!

RosyRed - I knew about the first change and remember it well as a then work colleague was nine months younger than me and she was affected though I wasn’t. The second change came as a shock. Luckily my work pension allowed me to leave full time work, move back to the Bonnyland, find part time work and get my old biddy card.

Right, boiled water for me.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 8th Mar 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,740 Posts
    • 44,455 Thanks
    Afternoon All

Sorry to hear the bad news poppy and Snoozer.

I hope your tummy recovers soon Gers, sounds like your DM has a great birthday weekend ahead.

Sorry some of you have snow again, there are still mounds of it here but it is melting, slowly.

Better day at work today, yesterday was good until a parent phoned and threw abuse at me and threatened me. Hoping it will all be sorted out tomorrow but she can whistle if she thinks I'm going to be nice!

Anyway, off to fat club later, should be a laugh!

Take care. XX
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 8th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 25,594 Thanks
    Evening folks. Lots of bad/sad news on here just now. DUMPLING so sorry you feel you can't cope as well as you'd like,

Well this morning turned into a nightmare! 5 minutes after my post this morning the snow started again with a vengeance, coming down non-stop, thick and fast, for over 3 hours solid. We were cut off up here yet again and couldn't get the 3 girls to school. Eldest was in a total panic that the London coach, which was due to leave at 9.00, would leave without her! I tried ringing her school and kept getting the engaged tone. Eventually got through and she must have thought who's this gibbering old biddie I've got on the phone! Anyway she was very nice and said she would get the teacher leading the trip to ring me back. He duly did and said not to worry, they wouldn't go without her and, anyway, more children hadn't made it and the coach was obviously held up as that hadn't turned up either! Numerous calls passed back and forth with the snow still falling! Then suddenly at 10.20 it stopped, the sun came out and the sky was blue! The road started clearing in no time and Mr TA said he would attempt it. Got her to school about 10.40 and the coach set off at 11.00! Phew! I can do without those starts to the day!

GERS hope you are soon over the bug and can enjoy your DM's festivities.

Have a nice evening folks xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 8th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 8,821 Thanks
    Evening all, a late one from me.
    Did my bit at Dad's, his house is mostly ship shape now. He did come over for tea and enjoyed it. I wish he could be more like that.
    Anyway I've just skim read all today's posts and can't remember much, very sorry. Must try harder .
    Nelski where were you, I laid a place for you . I know I'll put your dinner in the post, OK ?
    Poppy and Snoozer I was saddened to hear your news.
    Dumpling Many hugs but I'm sure you and Steve will work together so sort things out satisfactorily.
    Sorry that's all I can recall, my brain is fried this evening. Nothing new there then .
    I think I will have an early night as I have been up since 4am. when I woke with a headache. Got up for a cuppa and ibuprofen tablets then couldn't go back to sleep . Mr Fix It has an early hospital appointment tomorrow, Retinopathy this time so I have to be up and about before the roads are aired ! Sorry again I'm rambling now .
    Take care all, hugs where needed.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 8th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 111,754 Thanks
    Sorry, been awol for a couple of days. Not been feeling too good, either with the lupus or with my head being all over the place (mind you, the two may well be linked)

Anyways, we had our meet'n'greet with Dusty Dog, we weren'y sure how big he was going to be as he's a "crossbreed" (ie that tells you zip about his size) and it wasn't at all clear from his picture. Turns out he's about the size of a Border Terrier, so totally manageable, even though he's quite a puller; so hopefully his little holiday will go ahead.

Sorry, I'm waffling - better shut up I think.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 8th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 31,133 Thanks
    I thought I would try and look in while it is still Thursday, had a very busy and tiring couple of days, so spoons in short supply now, but necessary stuff and pleased it is done.

Dumpling I hope that you and Steve manage to find a way to take the pressure off you.
    Poppy and Snoozer sorry to learn your news.
    LameWolf fingers crossed that Dustydog will soon be joining you for his holidays, I am sorry that you are having a tough time.
    TA gosh that was a stressful time for you and Mr TA
    Nannywindow I am pleased that your Dad was behaving himself today after all your hard work for him.
    Hollyharvey thank you for starting us off today, pleased that the 15 minute rule is helping you, don't forget to build in the rewards too.

Apologies to all that I have missed, fingers don't seem to want to type the right letters in the right order now, see you all tomorrow.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 13,095 Thanks

Hollyharvey thank you for starting us off today, pleased that the 15 minute rule is helping you, don't forget to build in the rewards too.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    The 15 minute rule works well for me. Unfortunately it went out of the window today. The Mental Health Services have 'tricked' me, and the care coordinator 'forgot' to tell me the truth about why she suddenly phoned Monday and visited Tuesday. It all came out today when I went to see the GP and he told me that there was a meeting about me this afternoon that he had to go to and plans were going to be made about what they are going to do with me. They did include discharge on this list. Right now as far as I'm concerned I wish they had of gone for that.

Sadly, I'm back to not being able to do anything again .

I'll rant - I mean post about what has happened in the morning .
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th Mar 18, 9:29 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 4,645 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    home again - Dublin is now in the past however we had a really good time & are looking forward to revisiting & seeing a bit more of Ireland (meanmarie if we do manage to get further south, coffee would be nice)

Hi everyone,

Poppy & snoozer so sorry about the bad news.

Dumpling, you are very wise - better to sort something out before you become completely overwhelmed & I am pleased that you & Steve are discussing a solution.

Speky, do not delay - try to set something in motion ASAP - I would have a conversation with your employer as soon as it can be arranged - sorry to ‘harp on’ but if you can get info together it will make it easier to start up - we are on MSE so I would check what Martin has to say

Gers, I hope the tummy settles down quickly! There is nothing worse than having to stay close to ‘facilities’!

TA, glad it all worked out.

Bright & sunny when we got back to London, really miserable cabbie from airport to home.
    Bags are unpacked, have worked out how much we spent on top of hotel & flights , will put wm on tomorrow, CBA to cook so takeaway ordered which will do tomorrow’s dinner as well.
    Noses to the grindstone tomorrow - DH will be decorating & I will carry on cleaning & decluttering.

Enjoy the rest of the evening everyone.

• Judi
    • By Judi 8th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 15,846 Posts
    • 67,745 Thanks
    I'll rant - I mean post about what has happened in the morning.
    Please do.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,346Posts Today

6,189Users online

Martin's Twitter