Taking too long to send parts under warranty

Options
Hi all.

We bought our toddler his first bicycle from Argos with Christmas money in January. It needed assembly at home but when the wheel went on it wouldn't sit straight. Instead of returning the bicycle to Argos like any sane person would, I heeded the frequent plea from the manufacturer within the manual to ring them first to fix any problems. They were nice enough and after sending some pictures of the problem, sent me a new fork for the wheel (despite me being convinced myself that the wheel itself was the issue.). It didn't fix the issue so we arranged for a wheel to be sent to me. It hadn't arrived after 2 weeks so I politely prodded them. They apologised and assured me that a new wheel would now be 'ordered' for me. Stupidly I let the guarantee period pass by and I have received no wheel or communication from them. It has been 6 weeks now since I first called them.

Apart from reminding them again about the wheel, do I have any other options at this point. Have just lost the right to a refund from Argos?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nic

Comments

• Neil_Brae
    Neil_Brae Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Which January? 2017 or 2018? If it was 2018 then how has the guarantee already expired?
  • Diamandis
    Diamandis Posts: 881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's faulty. I would just return it to Argos under your statutory rights.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect the OP might mean the 30 day return period. (or however many days Argos give you to return products).
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not pop into Argos (or phone them) and see if they'll just replace the whole bike?
  • Robotnic
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. We've just had a baby so everything was put on hold. it was 2018 and yes I meant the 30 day return period. I will give Argos a ring about the bike. Still no word form the manufacturer.

Thanks!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Diamandis wrote: »
    It's faulty. I would just return it to Argos under your statutory rights.

The problem is, Argos can refuse to accept the bike back as it can only be returned with one wheel as the manufacturer hasn't supplied the replacement and without the faulty wheel, how can they prove or disprove that there was a manufacturing defect?

It would be a different matter if Argos had instructed the OP to go directly to the manufacturer but it doesn't sound like this was the case.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem is, Argos can refuse to accept the bike back as it can only be returned with one wheel as the manufacturer hasn't supplied the replacement and without the faulty wheel, how can they prove or disprove that there was a manufacturing defect?

It would be a different matter if Argos had instructed the OP to go directly to the manufacturer but it doesn't sound like this was the case.

I might be mistaken, but I don't believe OP said they've disposed of the original wheel. All they said is that they were waiting on the manufacturer to send a replacement wheel after the fork didn't fix the issue.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    I might be mistaken, but I don't believe OP said they've disposed of the original wheel. All they said is that they were waiting on the manufacturer to send a replacement wheel after the fork didn't fix the issue.

You're not mistaken in the least.
    I've just re-read the original post (a bit more carefully this time) and see that it was only photographs that the OP sent off to the manufacturer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure