Paypal Case

Options
Hi.

Buyer opened a Paypal dispute against me, ignored my message, replied and escalated the dispute to a claim at the same time saying I was ignoring him. Dispute opened yesterday and escalated today, which seems unfair.

I can't seem to leave a message, but I have information something that could have resolved the whole issue.

Do I dispute the claim? I have no proof of anything, just a message and don't want to risk a refund without return. Do I just agree to a return? Or am I best off messaging him through ebay and hoping he closes the case? Is it any use contacting Paypal as I clearly replied?

Thanks.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should get a "time out" from Paypal, where they allow the other party chance to reply, but it's not a done deal. Give them a ring and explain. IME they defer the escalation while they review your evidence. I've had this at least a dozen times (disgruntled buyers assuming their immediate escalation will resolve it in their favour).

I take it the case is a SNAD? You can't "accept a return" on Paypal, the case will be ruled one way or the other now it's been escalated. Either way, the buyer will have to pay for returns tracked postage.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You should get a "time out" from Paypal, where they allow the other party chance to reply, but it's not a done deal. Give them a ring and explain. IME they defer the escalation while they review your evidence. I've had this at least a dozen times (disgruntled buyers assuming their immediate escalation will resolve it in their favour).

I take it the case is a SNAD? You can't "accept a return" on Paypal, the case will be ruled one way or the other. Either way, the buyer will have to pay for returns tracked postage.

Yeah, SNAD. I have various options. To give a full refund, partial refund, dispute the appeal or agree to a return for a refund. It says I have so long to reply. So it's not been escalated to Paypal for them to make a decision on the case.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Yeah, SNAD. I have various options. To give a full refund, partial refund, dispute the appeal or agree to a return for a refund. It says I have so long to reply. So it's not been escalated to Paypal for them to make a decision on the case.

Sorry, I read the OP as that it had been escalated.

In which case, there is absolutely nothing to lose in fighting a Paypal case (no defects etc). Plus you have the added satisfaction (if your buyer is pulling a long one) that he/she has to pay for the return.

Upload your evidence and then ring them to see if they've received it - I do that and usually find the rep is overly helpful and wants to check I've covered everything(!).

Edit - "dispute the appeal", I've not seen that on a case from Paypal, from memory. Is it definitely a Paypal case and not an eBay case that you are "viewing" on Paypal?
  • Flyonthewall
    Options
    Yeah, it's a paypal case. Ebay one was already closed in my favour.

Problem is I don't have any actual proof. Basically it's just that there's 2 parts and it requires doing part 1 before 2 will do anything. It's not written anywhere official or anything, no files or images, but might solve their issue if that is all the problem is. Which is why I'm thinking maybe a quick ebay message would be best, seeing as I can't now reply to them through the case.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Yeah, it's a paypal case. Ebay one was already closed in my favour.

Problem is I don't have any actual proof. Basically it's just that there's 2 parts and it requires doing part 1 before 2 will do anything. It's not written anywhere official or anything, no files or images, but might solve their issue if that is all the problem is. Which is why I'm thinking maybe a quick ebay message would be best, seeing as I can't now reply to them through the case.

Can you upload the evidence you gave to the Ebay case, along with the resolution going in your favour?

Failing that, just dispute it as best you can. If you lose, you get no defect and the buyer still has to fund the return.
  • Flyonthewall
    Options
    Can you upload the evidence you gave to the Ebay case, along with the resolution going in your favour?

Failing that, just dispute it as best you can. If you lose, you get no defect and the buyer still has to fund the return.

The ebay case was for INR.

Thanks. Just wish I knew if it was the issue, I don't understand why they didn't reply. Does disputing it go to Paypal to resolve or to the buyer to respond?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    The ebay case was for INR.

Thanks. Just wish I knew if it was the issue, I don't understand why they didn't reply. Does disputing it go to Paypal to resolve or to the buyer to respond?

Ah that's a shame, I assumed it was for the same reason.

If you dispute the Paypal case (and it's not INR which is automatically monitored) it will go to a rep to view and make a decision. Add as much evidence as you can. If the reason for the dispute doesn't make it clear what the problem is, you can add everything possible and Paypal will review it fairly.
  • Flyonthewall
    Options
    Ah that's a shame, I assumed it was for the same reason.

If you dispute the Paypal case (and it's not INR which is automatically monitored) it will go to a rep to view and make a decision. Add as much evidence as you can. If the reason for the dispute doesn't make it clear what the problem is, you can add everything possible and Paypal will review it fairly.

Thanks.

That's what I thought, but it wasn't completely clear when I looked it up. What I did find was there are a number of upset/angry buyers who have had sellers appeal so I decided to send the buyer an ebay message. That way they know what they need to about the product (not sure if they can see appeal reason?) and it seemed a nicer way to deal with it.

I'll give them a chance to reply and then take the next step in the case if they don't close it.

Really annoying though that there now seems no way to communicate through the case. Seems the buyer can go from dispute to claim at any time. There are bound to be many cases where the seller doesn't get a chance to send any message or may only get to send one when more communication is needed. Doesn't seem a very fair process.
  • Flyonthewall
    edited 18 March 2018 at 7:54PM
    Options
    I offered return for a refund and they had until yesterday. They haven't returned it. Assumed the case would close at either the time it was opened or at midnight, but the case is still open.

Will it automatically close at some point (when?) or is there something I can/need to do to close it?

Edit:
    Sent an email. Don't know whether it has been seen yet or not, but case has now been closed in my favour.

Thanks again for the help :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport