International Payment for further credit

I need to make a payment to a US account for further credit to another account outside the US. I've looked at transferwise but they say the payment will bounce if I try it. There are other operators here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/foreign-currency-exchange but I suspect they will be the same. How do I do this?

Comments

• Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    You need to be more specific. Is this an account holder outside the US who maintain a bank account with a bank in the US? There’s nothing untoward about that.

I suspect that I’ve misunderstood your post.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • rbulph
    rbulph Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ballard wrote: »
    You need to be more specific. Is this an account holder outside the US who maintain a bank account with a bank in the US?

No it's not. It's just the way that his bank receives payments in USD -the bank in the US receives them on his bank's behalf with instructions to credit them to his account. For some reason his bank can't receive the payments directly.
  • Ballard
    rbulph wrote: »
    No it's not. It's just the way that his bank receives payments in USD -the bank in the US receives them on his bank's behalf with instructions to credit them to his account. For some reason his bank can't receive the payments directly.

I’m still unsure what you’re saying. All payment in USD will transit through the US in some way.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • rbulph
    Ballard wrote: »
    I’m still unsure what you’re saying. All payment in USD will transit through the US in some way.

You don't need to understand. Just follow the instructions. Here they are. You tell me how you would enter them into a typical foreign payment instruction.

Intermediary bank

CITIBANK NEW YORK, N.Y.
    SWIFT CITIUS33
    ABA 021000089

Beneficiary bank:
    BANCO GENERAL, S.A.-PANAMA
    SWIFT BAGEPAPA
    beneficiary bank number: XXXXXXXXXX

Name: XXXXXXXXXXX
    my personal bank account: XXXXXXXXXX
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This kind of arrangement is quite common, you just need to make sure that all details are entered correctly with the beneficiary bank's account details at Citibank, further credit to: etc. You will probably have to do this direct from your UK(?) bank account, transfer services don't usually have the facility.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You don't need to understand. Just follow the instructions. Here they are. ........

Physician, heal thyself.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • rbulph
    eDicky wrote: »
    This kind of arrangement is quite common, you just need to make sure that all details are entered correctly with the beneficiary bank's account details at Citibank, further credit to: etc. You will probably have to do this direct from your UK(?) bank account, transfer services don't usually have the facility.

Do you know if any UK banks do this more cheaply than others? I've got a lot of bank accounts!
  • Ballard
    You don't need to understand. Just follow the instructions. Here they are. You tell me how you would enter them into a typical foreign payment instruction.

Intermediary bank

CITIBANK NEW YORK, N.Y.
    SWIFT CITIUS33
    ABA 021000089

Beneficiary bank:
    BANCO GENERAL, S.A.-PANAMA
    SWIFT BAGEPAPA
    beneficiary bank number: XXXXXXXXXX

Name: XXXXXXXXXXX
    my personal bank account: XXXXXXXXXX

That’s a completely standard payment. No reason why it should cause any issues at all.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The issue may be that UK banks like to use their own agent banks abroad and may route payments through them instead which might delay or incur further agent costs.
  • Ballard
    The issue may be that UK banks like to use their own agent banks abroad and may route payments through them instead which might delay or incur further agent costs.

It doesn't matter which correspondent the UK bank uses. They have to pay through the beneficiary banks correspondent (in this case Citibank).
    I hate verisimilitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport