Need to stop procrastinating and just do it!

Hi everyone
Been a long, long time lurker on this site and have learned a lot along the way. Trouble is we’ve not put into practice what we’ve learned and we’re now back to being in a lot of debt.
In fairness to ourselves it has been a very difficult year with unexpected family problems which has meant a temporary reduction in income and a lot of additional expense. This shouldn’t have been a problem if we had looked after our finances in the past. Unfortunately we hadn’t and as a result our credit history is appalling and we had no savings. This has resulted in us having to take on a lot of further debt at really high interest rates.
Thankfully from the end of this month our income will return to normal so we are determined to never get in this position again.
We do both earn good salaries so we know we should be able to do it. Lots of people on here are in a far worse position than us and we feel ashamed that despite a good income we’ve allowed ourselves to get into such a dire position.

Determined this time to stop procrastinating and to just get on with it!!

Hoping starting this diary and being active on this forum will help keep us on track

Comments

• Good luck on your journey. I'll be subscribing to follow and hopefully pick up some tips along the way. x
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi, welcome to DFW and good luck with your journey.
  • MeenaM
    MeenaM Posts: 320 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Welcome and good luck !
    paid off £27,527.47 debt free journey began Nov 2017 DEBT FREE 13.09.2019!! EF £3500/£5000
  • Mydmp
    Mydmp Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2018 at 4:24PM
    Hi everyone :) Lovely to hear from you all and thank you for your welcome messages.

I have subscribed to all of your diaries. I will spend this evening catching up with your journeys.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,178 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy new shiny diary.
    Keep posting!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Happy new diary and good luck :)
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Hiya! Good luck on your journey I've subscribed and will be cheering you on x
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Mydmp
    edited 4 March 2018 at 7:20PM
    Read lots of diaries last night and feel really inspired by the stories that I read. Thank you to everyone that has visited our new diary and for the lovely comments.

Didn!!!8217;t spend yesterday just reading though. As the title of our diary states we need to stop procrastinating and get on with reducing our own debt. Whilst reading everyone!!!8217;s diaries helps motivate it won!!!8217;t make a difference if we don!!!8217;t take some actual actions. This is the mistake we!!!8217;ve made in the past. If we!!!8217;d taken action before now then we wouldn!!!8217;t have finished up with the huge debts that we have today.

So yesterday we took some positive actions towards changing the way we live and to reduce the debt chain around our necks. The actions that we took were :-

1. Signed up for a new account with YNAB and set it up with all our accounts and debts so that we have a clear picture of exactly what we owe to everyone and an agreed budget to stick to going forward.
    2. Produced an accurate and realistic SOA which shows that we will be able to clear our debts within 5 yrs provided we stick to our plans. (Hopefully we will do it much quicker but the events of the past year have made us realise that life is precious and too short to miss out on everything)
    3. Made homemade pizza for dinner last night. Traditionally Saturday night has been takeaway night. For three adults (our adult son is still living at home whilst saving for a house - he has a good job and pays !!!8216;board!!!8217; to cover additional expenses and food etc) we would have spent £24.10 by ordering from our local takeaway. Instead we used ingredients that we already had. The pizzas were delicious and much healthier than the ones we usually have.
    4. As we didn!!!8217;t have to out to pick up the pizzas we didn!!!8217;t call at the local shop to buy wine and dessert. Again had healthier options that we already had, saving another £12.
    5. Started this diary which will hopefully help keep us on track.

Intend listing our debt busting actions each day so that we have a record of our progress
  • Mydmp
    Help please. Does anyone know why apostrophe are replaced with a string of letters and how to stop it doing it?
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ooh ooh me, I do! Cumbria lass told me - iOS, settings, general, keyboard then turn smart punctuation off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure