EasyJet flight cancelled 7.5 hours after departure

Options
Hi,
I'm not sure where to start with this but basically we arrived at Bristol airport in time, boarded the plane, set off for Keflavik in Iceland (known for its snow and ice) however once we got there the conditions were too bad for the plane to land. We were diverted to Glasgow for refuelling, then deposited back in Bristol some 7.5 hours later, assured by flight crew we were getting hotel vouchers and the journey would resume the following day. Once at the baggage carousel (approximately 10 minutes after the last assurance by flight staff) easyjet announced over the tannoy that the flight was cancelled, we would be refunded and that there were no outgoing flights from the UK to Keflavik through easyjet until the 18th (this took place on the 11th), the same date as our return flight.
We were also told that another easyjet and a BA flight were turned away from Keflavik, but it turns out that the BA flight did land, just later.
I just don't see how "bad weather" means we don't get compensation for a weeks missed holiday, considering with Iceland surely the clue is in the name. Plus, as the flight was cancelled hours after the departure time we don't qualify for compensation for cancellation with less than 7 days notice.
Any opinions or advice?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just don't see how "bad weather" means we don't get compensation for a weeks missed holiday, considering with Iceland surely the clue is in the name. Plus, as the flight was cancelled hours after the departure time we don't qualify for compensation for cancellation with less than 7 days notice.

Whilst bad weather is not unusual for many airports it is not within the airline's control which would be the test for compensation whether a delay or cancellation
    I would expect the airline to refund your flights and you can look to your travel insurance for other financial losses
  • LUHG1878
    LUHG1878 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Whilst bad weather is not unusual for many airports it is not within the airline's control which would be the test for compensation whether a delay or cancellation
    I would expect the airline to refund your flights and you can look to your travel insurance for other financial losses

Yep, I would agree, this is a travel insurance claim for any losses, non-refundable hotel room etc
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just don't see how "bad weather" means we don't get compensation for a weeks missed holiday

EU regulations aside, it hardly seems fair that an airline should compensate for something outside of their control, no? What they should have done, however, was to offer rerouting on another carrier or you could have booked such rerouting yourself and claimed back the cost from easyJet but obviously it's too late for that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure