IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

NCP fine for app payment error

Options
Hi, I’m sorry if I’m posting a new thread about old news but I can’t find a similar case in other threads so my apologies if I’m covering old ground.

I recently received a ‘Parked without payment of the parking charge’ fine from NCP.

On the day I used the NCP carpark Ii was freezing cold and raining and only one pay and display machine was working so I followed the example of another woman waiting to pay and paid for my parking on my PayByPhone app. So I appealed the fine to NCP directly providing both an email receipt and app screen grab of proof of payment. However it turns out that NCP only except payment using RingGo so unbeknown to me the parking code that I used (the code displayed in the car park) paid for 90 minutes of parking in a different location.

Did I make a mistake? Yes but as far as I am concerned I legitimately paid for my parking. I don’t know the area I was parked in so didn’t know that the car park I was in was Luton Old Court House and not Church End.

If NCP only excepts payments using the RingGo app they should state that on their boards. They give plenty of space (on the outside of the carpark) to information about fines for not paying so why not make the ways of paying clearer? It’s almost like they want us to mess up.

What are my chances that POPLA will grant my appeal and see my case as a legitimate mistake? And if they reject my appeal what should I do next?

Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you at POPLA stage, and have you blown several toes off by appealing as driver?

NO-ONE here pays NCP parking 'fines', so put that option out of your mind.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    PE were specifically named and shamed in the House of Commons a couple of weeks ago as being scammers. Moves are now afoot to shut them down, watch the video here

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

Add to their woes by robustly complaing to your MP,
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    PE were specifically named and shamed in the House of Commons a couple of weeks ago as being scammers. Moves are now afoot to shut them down, watch the video here

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

Add to their woes by robustly complaing to your MP,

What have PE got to do with a NCP PCN?

The rest is relevant, but not the naming and shaming of parking lie.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Are you at POPLA stage, and have you blown several toes off by appealing as driver?

NO-ONE here pays NCP parking 'fines', so put that option out of your mind.

Err yes... I really don't understand, what should I have done? Sorry I'm totally clueless about all this. Thanks for your reply btw.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Read the NEWBIES FAQS (post #1 of it) thread to see what you should have done. Next time!

Then read post #3 of it, re POPLA stage templates and how to win even if you've shot several toes off by blabbing* about who was driving.

NO LINK. Top of the forum. My signature even tells everyone where to click.

* search this forum for 'blabbed' (a parking forum favourite word!) and you'll see how common it is to have done what you did. And you should also find some people's examples of how they then went on to win at POPLA anyway. We know what we are doing and the templates are in the sticky thread at the top.

P.S. just to reiterate - NO-ONE PAYS THESE.
  • thecharliepiggins
    Options
    Just wanted to give you a quick update. I heard back from POPLA today...

"NCP have told us they do not wish to contest the Appeal. This means that your Appeal is successful and you do not need to pay the parking charge.

Yours sincerely

POPLA Team"

I'm amazed but delighted, Hooray for NCP's laziness!

Thank you for your help and assistance and for putting my worried mind at ease, very much appreciated.

Charlie
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Good stuff!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure