Help!! Doubled electric bill economy 7

Hi there.
I am with flow energy have been for a couple of years, my normal usage has been between 30-45 a month dependant on time of year.. as we have storage heaters.
Have expected a small increase in bill due to baby in october but have just checked my online account and from.my meter reading my bill was £91..!!!!!
It seems its only the night time reading that had dramatically changed goin from about 200ish kwh to over 700... what on earth could be happening... we have storage heaters bit only 1 in the main living area and they only heat at nighy but have never had this amount of usage in the 4 years iv been in the house.??

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Actual or estimated readings ? £30 - £45 is very low for an electric heated property. £91 would be good for this time of year.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The average leccy consumption for a house with gas heating and hot water would be around 3500kwh a year, so even if you could manage a tariff at 10p/kwh = £30 a month.

Most E7 tariff are more than this for peak rate and a bit less less for off peak so if you are all electric the £30-45 a month is abnormally low - have you checked how many of your bills are estimated.

You really need to start reading the meter a bit more frequently and making sure that your bills/statements are using actual readings and getting them corrected if they are wrong.

It's more than likely that if you are using the heating more and possibly a washing machine/tumble dryer during off-peak times then the off-peak reading will increase - have you made sure that the bills are correctly recording peak and off peak readings - it's not unusual to get them transposed.

You should also check when your off-peak times are switched and make sure that any timers are correctly set.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Hi yes the most iv ever paid is £50 once in the winter. I am extremely careful with what we use, we dnt have a tumble dryer, everythin is turned off at the plug of not being used. I normally have a refund at the end of the year of £100+
    I habe had a look back through my statememts and from what i can gather is they estimated a low usage amd billed me that then a reading was supplied and it was more than they estimated so charged more to bring it into balance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure