Appliances warranty in New Build Homes

Options
Dear friends,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me to this legal regulation on internet (goverment website etc, any credible source).

I know that warranty period for goods that you buy in shop or online starts when you purchase the product but how is it with appliances that are installed in new build flats? I moved into my new build flat in September 2016 and one particular faulty appliance has two year standard warranty (as stated in the manual) - which means i should still be covered because it’s only been about a year and half since i started using it. I am the first resident to ever live in this flat, no previous owners. I know that this appliance could have been installed anytime during building process e.g. even in 2014 or so but i am the first one using it and i can prove when i was handed over the keys to this flat.

Could anyone please help me find a credible internet source for info regarding warranty start for appliances installed in new builds?

Many thanks

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Warranty as you call it is from the manufacturer and subject to their terms and conditions .
    Your rights under the law are Consumer Regulations against the vendor .
    Who was the vendor ??? The builder or some other source .
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Could anyone please help me find a credible internet source for info regarding warranty start for appliances installed in new builds?
    No because there won't be one.

As already said the warranty is what the manufacturer makes it, if they say it starts when the appliance is originally purchased then that's how it is. Usually new appliance warranties start when you register them within 30 days of purchase or thereabouts but I will assume that didn't happen on this occasion so there is more than a fair chance that warranty isn't valid now.

Your only hope in your consumer rights who are with who sold the appliance directly to you, that would be the builder. Give the manufacturer a call and see what they say. Failing that give the builder a call and see what they say, I fear however you are going to struggle with this one.

Post back when you speak to both parties.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure