What small mse things will you do this week? 12/02

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning :D I've been up since 4! But went to bed at 7 so doesn't seem that early!

Have been productive so far:

* did some e-learning for work
    * organised my note book - bullet journal esques! planned some goals for the coming week :D
    * purchased breakdown cover from MSE - 15 months for the price of 12 :money:

Things still to do:

* get lunches & clothes ready
    * have a shower
    * all meals from stores - something out of the freezer for tea
    * free leisure this evening
    * go for a walk or read book at lunch
    * onepoll? If possible
    * see if it's possible to print something off at work
    * nsd (breakdown is cover by mileage claim so technically free ;))
    * might go for a run if possible this evening - was snowing here yesterday and I don't want to run in that!

Ok better get on!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 February 2018 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Morning folks!

Thanks to DNMS for starting us off. That's an early start!

I accidentally left my phone in work last night but it hasn't been a bad thing. I'm hoping to get a project-free day today. I have a special thing that I want to work on and it'll be fun and useful so I hope I get a crack at it!

Finally got on the scale this morning and I've put on 4lb - not the end of the world but completely my own fault for stuffing rubbish in my face. Going to try and get back to better eating. I also need to consciously relax more. I have bought the Holistrio program - word of warning to anyone considering it, I didn't think, as the payment is in dollars, I was charged an extra £1.14 in currency fees. I must change it to my perfect rate cc for payment asap.

To be fair, Andrew Johnson's voice is that relaxing, he could probably just read me the football pools and I'd relax :rotfl:

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores. Everything already made so no excuses! (and no raw salmon)
    • All meals healthy and as planned. (no excuse really as I love healthy food!)
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Look up a free squat program, as my coach hasn't passed me any training for it yet - done
    • Gym at lunchtime. I'm getting back on it now. Feeling determined. - done. My legs have gone into the future :rotfl:
    • Heating off most of the day
    • Do relaxing app
    • Consciously try to switch off from work. I realised that I can't let my manager get to me so much.
    • No alcohol
    • Look up to see if you can make quark at home easily - done - it's possible... might give it a go
    • Read gardening books and imagine my garden :)
    • Woohoo an ebay sale! Must see if I have a large enough jiffy bag
    • Relist three items on ebay that didn't sell
    • Msg from a FB buyer who is apparently going to pick up an item tonight (this is family meal money not mine though)
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Morning all :hello: we’re still away but coming back today. Current,y sitting watching the sun rise on the beach about 10 metres away. Much changed from my usual Monday morning outlook :D we’ve had a lovely time, albeit it wasn’t quite to plan but that was out of anyone’s control we made the most of it. Need to wait for a few things to debut out of my bank today and then I can move some money from a couple of other pots. All things considered spending conservative.

Things for today:
    Fill up at cheapest petrol station before we leave
    Pack up food we have left so we have drinks and snacks for journey home.. fill water bottles.
    Check banking, update sheet with a dd that has gone out
    Some sort of exercise for free tonight at home
    Charge all electric things before we leave
    Some washing on when we get home
    Take individual packet biscuits that were in holiday Home, will do for days out at some point
    Investigate step over trees I found yesterday a bit more versus dwarf stock and see which would be better to get

Think that’s it for now, will check back later.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    CLF - I did make sonething very quark-like once, by straining home made yoghurt through a 'yoghurt strainer' which I bought in a pack from (probably) Lakeland. After all the liquid had dripped through overnight, it leaves the thick proteiny stuff behind, to which I added some chopped chives & a pinch of salt. I think I've still got the box with a few left in it somewhere so could probably upload a pic to the Small Things FB page if helpful.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 February 2018 at 1:11PM
    Options
    Hi February Fabulistas,

A lovely day off on another snowy day. :snow_grin No time for, snowmen though.

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Good, homemade, sustaining breakfast.

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Did App.

* Checked online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Go to library. Exchange books and snaffle some Wifi.

* See if I can get into jammed car bonnet using a pair of pliers on the cable. Damn, it's still not working. Car is booked in at the garage tomorrow.

* Get Meerkat Movies set up. (Oooo, a free Oleg toy is on its way too.)

* Make draught excluders.

* Defrost homemade soup for lunch.

* Need to change bank card details with a company I use; not proving easy. Still stuck on this.

* Visit local fishmonger for some locally caught fish instead of going for a meal out. Was given a free loaf of bread as he was having a slow day.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • xironsongx
    Options
    I had to buy printer ink this morning, but I searched online and ordered black & coloured ink for £15 for both of them instead of paying £40.00.

I also took out my ink cartridges and placed them back in and it allowed me to print some things off for work although im not sure it's going to print all of it ... i'm super low on ink.

I've created sinking funds so that I'm not spending my own money on items such as medication etc.
    :heart: Engaged 01-09-17 :heart: Wedding £519.78 (BA) £80.22 (Sp) / £5,600 £5,000 left to save:heart:
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Had a mare of a day yesterday with the forum not letting me post or log in at all. Had to message the MSE team in the end.

A week off but still have 2 meetings today and have been catching up on paperwork but after that it should be a nice week and we have blue skies outside:T
    Have checked banking, everything good with d.debits and banking-everything on track:j
    Have 2 missions this year-more stuff to be sorted and leave the house than stuff that enters. Have one item on ebay and a new pile of stuff building up for the charity shop.
    Second mission is to get the living room sorted and decorated. This won't be cheap as I need to pay for someone to come in and quite abit of work needs doing-savings pot started for this
    Second dress ready to be sent back for a refund from Debenh@ms

DNMS I love my bullet point journals, find they are a way of keep some order in my life and keeping track of things including spends.

Plenty of cat food stock in and I have been eating from the freezer. I have buffet food from 2 years ago that I plan to turn into a meal and I still need to get my chilli made.
    RM survey to post.

Think thats about it from me, everyone have a good Monday.
    Just want to say a big thank you for everyone's concerns re:family situation. Unfortunately I am always used as the bad cop by the family and basically have sacrificed my relationship with a sibling to help 2 others.Really hard but after weighing up the situation and how critical it was getting it is one thing I don't regret. I have one of the most dysfunctional families going so nice to step out of the situation now and take a breather for my own sanity!
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • uphillstruggler
    Options
    Morning all,

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Beautiful sunny day down here so planning to make the most of it at some stage.

Today I have/will:
    *free drink in town - take reusable cup (trying very hard to cut down on plastic)
    *household chores - wash bedding and towels
    *free exercise
    *cheapest fuel in car
    *passive income work
    *check accounts and refund from tyre supplier

Have a great day,
    US
    Emergencies account: £500/500
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 February 2018 at 10:29PM
    Options
    Thank you DNMS for getting us started this week :A

We have snow on the ground and the sun is shining brightly, nope change that the snow has just started to fall again. Frustratingly not enough to play or sledge in :(

Today:
    RMS Done
    Turn off lights and appliances, not in use Done
    FPL etc Done
    Adjust a pair of trousers for dd WIP
    Adjust a pair of trousers for ds Done
    OH working from home Done
    DW & WM set to run overnight Done
    B/L/D from stores Done
    Lite solid fuel stove Done
    Put kettles on top for free hot water Done
    Make a loaf of bread Done
    Renew families library loans They need to go back to be seen by the library, this is rolling over to tomorrow
    Request library books for me and ds Done
    Make packed tea for children to eat whilst travelling from 1 activity to another this evening Done
    Educate children for free Done
    Print out resources to support latest free education pack that arrived for children this morning, printing will also be free as we were gifted the printer, ink and paper - enough for over 15,000 sheets this is rolling over to tomorrow
    Dry washing on airer Done
    Open curtains fully to make the most of the light Done
    Close curtains before it gets dark to keep in the heat the house Done
    Fit new screen protector to OH's phone Done
    Fit screen protector to ds' switch this is rolling over to when OH returns from working away from home, probably Saturday
    Research new phone for me, I am looking to buy my new phone outright. My current phone is 6+ years old and is still doing well but is developing the occasional issue so I want a plan of what I am going to do when the time comes. WIP

To me it feels like a long list with nothing on it :rotfl:

I need to discuss with the children (OH will be working away from home) tomorrows menu, as it is Shrove Tuesday we will be having pancakes at every meal, different varieties including crepes, scotch, American, galettes, duck etc Done we also decided to have pancakes for pudding tonight so OH doesn't miss out.

I'm not sure what today holds, it will depend on the weather. I would like to return some library loans, drop off some donations for the food bank, drop off some other charity donations, go swimming as a family and children go to weekly uniformed organisation meet, but none of that may happen we might end up staying in all day enjoying the warmth of the stove.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    CLF - I did make sonething very quark-like once, by straining home made yoghurt through a 'yoghurt strainer' which I bought in a pack from (probably) Lakeland. After all the liquid had dripped through overnight, it leaves the thick proteiny stuff behind, to which I added some chopped chives & a pinch of salt. I think I've still got the box with a few left in it somewhere so could probably upload a pic to the Small Things FB page if helpful.
    F x

Cheers foxgloves - that would be helpful
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing