EDF wont give us a smart meter...

Options
Hi,

We moved house in November and brought our existing energy deal with us (as it was the cheapest through the energy saving club :) ), but EDF firstly said that the smart meter might not be compatible with our house (?) the next excuse was they didn't have enough smart meters, then they are not installing them locally at the moment and the most recent excuse being:

'because not all smart meters are compatible with all energy suppliers. Your meter will operate as a traditional meter and therefore we'll contact you to ask for a meter reading. If we're unable to obtain a reading from you we'll send you an estimated bill.'

We have a house that we are renovating over time and therefore it is not very energy efficient. For the last 53 days, our bill was £480 :eek: We will be replacing the windows and heating system, but for the time being, we really need to keep an eye on what's using the energy and at the moment, we can't tell if something is running constantly without us knowing!

We'd be grateful if anyone else has had a similar experience and what you did to get a smart meter.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 February 2018 at 10:44PM
    Options
    Read the meter yourself just like in the old days. Not difficult (well it is a bit more difficult with a smart meter). If it is high electric consumption you are worrying about get a cheap clamp on energy monitor from Ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Energy-LCD-Monitor-Smart-Electricity-Home-House-Usage-Meter-Monitoring/351988974446?hash=item51f42d836e:g:QS4AAOSwOgdYrg8y
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't wish to sound rude (but I might) but why can't you just take regular meter readings?

I take monthly meter readings which I log on a simple spreadsheet where I log units and cost. Then I can keep an eye on anything unusual. You could start with weekly readings so you could monitor your usage then ease off as things settle.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sunshine79 wrote: »
    Hi,

We moved house in November and brought our existing energy deal with us (as it was the cheapest through the energy saving club :) ), but EDF firstly said that the smart meter might not be compatible with our house (?) the next excuse was they didn't have enough smart meters, then they are not installing them locally at the moment and the most recent excuse being:

'because not all smart meters are compatible with all energy suppliers. Your meter will operate as a traditional meter and therefore we'll contact you to ask for a meter reading. If we're unable to obtain a reading from you we'll send you an estimated bill.'

We have a house that we are renovating over time and therefore it is not very energy efficient. For the last 53 days, our bill was £480 :eek: We will be replacing the windows and heating system, but for the time being, we really need to keep an eye on what's using the energy and at the moment, we can't tell if something is running constantly without us knowing!

We'd be grateful if anyone else has had a similar experience and what you did to get a smart meter.

Suppliers are not obliged to install or change smart meters on demand. The problem with SMETS1 meters is that, for the moment, they are supplier dependent. Plans are in train to modify these meters such that they can be 'adopted' by The Data Communications Company. As others have suggested: buy a cheap energy monitor. I use an optical spot meter reader on my gas supply which provides me with 15 minute usage readings.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sunshine79 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looks to be an industry-wide problem that if you already have a smart meter installed by a past supplier you can't have a new one from your current supplier. That applies to me too: I moved into a property in October 2017 which already has BG smart prepayment meters which BG set to credit mode when I switched which are now dumb meters. Scottish Power refuse to install their smart meters. We also have First Utility who refuse their cheapest tariff which requires their smart meter if you already have a smart meter.

Go figure: These smart meters are a total and complete shambles but expensive shambles.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Looks to be an industry-wide problem that if you already have a smart meter installed by a past supplier you can't have a new one from your current supplier. That applies to me too: I moved into a property in October 2017 which already has BG smart prepayment meters which BG set to credit mode when I switched which are now dumb meters. Scottish Power refuse to install their smart meters. We also have First Utility who refuse their cheapest tariff which requires their smart meter if you already have a smart meter.

Go figure: These smart meters are a total and complete shambles but expensive shambles.

I'd guess replacing old smart meters is low priority as the government mandate likely just counts smart meters not whether they are working.

As such replacing a meter will not help their targets.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2018 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Suppliers are not obliged to install or change smart meters on demand. The problem with SMETS1 meters is that, for the moment, they are supplier dependent. Plans are in train to modify these meters such that they can be 'adopted' by The Data Communications Company. As others have suggested: buy a cheap energy monitor. I use an optical spot meter reader on my gas supply which provides me with 15 minute usage readings.
    I m not sure if its still in place but it was legal for a consumer to buy their own energy meter and install it at their expense by approved fitters. That go s for both gas and electric meters.
    So if the OP wants one, get one bought and installed themselves and registered.
    Someones flogging a brand new British Gas smart meter on Ebay now for just £10..bargain !
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Gas-smart-meter-/183041778011
  • SoletraderSteve
    Options
    You have a working meter, that is far from the end of its life. The only issue you have is the SMART functionality is not compatible with the current supplier. Read your own meter, on a regular basis. Provide your supplier with these reasons and request regular bills/statements to monitor your usage.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2018 at 1:39PM
    Options
    I m not sure if its still in place but it was legal for a consumer to buy their own energy meter and install it at their expense by approved fitters. That go s for both gas and electric meters.
    So if the OP wants one, get one bought and installed themselves and registered.
    Someones flogging a brand new British Gas smart meter on Ebay now for just £10..bargain !
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Gas-smart-meter-/183041778011
    Hi

Approved fitters, installation & registration .... :rotfl:.... from the looks of it, that's not a smart-meter, it's a British Gas EnergySmart remote monitor with a clip-on induction sensor ... as such, most competent individuals (those who can read the instruction leaflet, understand it, and follow the basic instructions!) would be able to fit it! ... that's why it's £10 !!

The Op would be far better off with a remote monitor anyway at the moment considering the current status of the smart-metering project ... Smart-Metering: A clever green solution rapidly becoming a white elephant?
    ... we're still using one on the first generation Owl electricity monitors and it does everything we need it to do!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport