IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
dyeing sofa covers?
Views: 69,104
# 1
scrimpingbadger
Old 18-10-2007, 7:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default dyeing sofa covers?

Don't know of this is the right place for this question but... We bought a couple of sofas a couple of years ago. With cream covers. All very well....then. Now my toddler is wombling round with dirty hands, feet, shoes, gunk, stuff and other general detritis associated with toddlerhood. Oh, and potty training (the least said about that the better ). I'm getting sick of washing the covers so I thought about dyeing them ( a dark brown colour possibly ) . Anyone out there know anything/recommend a dye or method for this?:confused:
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
balmaiden
Old 19-10-2007, 9:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi scrimpingbadger, I am going to dye my sofa covers soon at the moment they are having new cushion inserts made as the old ones were like sitting on a bicuit. My covers are terracotta and I will be redying them terracotta using dylon machine dye bought from my local chemist.
Now I have dyed curtains etc in the past and the results have been excellent,but I have not dyed sofa covers before but a friend of mine dyed her cream sofa covers bottle green and they look fab,her advice is to weigh everything accurately as at her first attemt she guessed the weight and they came out patchy she then weighed properly and the next attempt were really super. The cost was about 60 she says.
Hope that helps
Bal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to balmaiden For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
FBThree
Old 19-10-2007, 12:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, My tenant managed to somehow bleach a terrocotta sofa cover arm, and add other sunbleached looks to it. I used Dylon machine dye, 4 packs of it to re-dye the sofa covers and it looks great. As said above, weigh your stuff, and measure it all out carefully. I had to split the covers over a couple of different batches but I'm so pleased because it saved me so much money re-dying this rather than getting replacements. Check around for good places for the dye-packs - I found cheapest locally in The Range, but it's also done at Robert Dyas, Wilkinson (I think), Fabric Warehouse.
The Following User Says Thank You to FBThree For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
balmaiden
Old 31-10-2007, 3:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just an update on this,

I have just dyed one of my sofas covers and they have turned out great. Makes it look like a new sofa, that and new cushion inserts. Total cost for two three seater sofas dye 60, new inserts ,140. 200 quid and they really do look brand new.

Recommend this to anyone.
# 5
emmajayne1982
Old 15-03-2009, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,

Can I just ask to anyone who has done this whether a home washing machine is big enough to dye sofa covers? I can do the main cushons that I sit on but I was thinking about the large cover the covers the base and arms?

Thanks em
# 6
balmaiden
Old 15-03-2009, 7:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well I did mine in my washing machine ok. Just an ordinary domestic hotpoint.

HTH.
Away with the fairies.... Back soon
# 7
voucher woman
Old 27-03-2009, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Unhappy dyeing sofa covers

hi have tried to dye my sofa covers from gold to dark brown but because they are polyester then they didnt dye. Though i did try and it looked hopeful till the last rinse!! !!
I have looked into sending them away to have them professionally dyed but this costs as much as having new covers made!
anyone got any other suggestions???
# 8
tattybear123
Old 07-04-2009, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile i want to dye mine too

but i don't know if draylon will take, my sofa covers are cream draylon, i don't want to buy a new couch because i cannot afford one, so i am wondering if i am able to dye draylon, i want to go black or gray, any help will be much appreciated...thankyou....
# 9
lomoland
Old 11-08-2009, 7:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmaiden View Post
Hi scrimpingbadger, I am going to dye my sofa covers soon at the moment they are having new cushion inserts made as the old ones were like sitting on a bicuit. My covers are terracotta and I will be redying them terracotta using dylon machine dye bought from my local chemist.
Now I have dyed curtains etc in the past and the results have been excellent,but I have not dyed sofa covers before but a friend of mine dyed her cream sofa covers bottle green and they look fab,her advice is to weigh everything accurately as at her first attemt she guessed the weight and they came out patchy she then weighed properly and the next attempt were really super. The cost was about 60 she says.
Hope that helps
Bal
:rolleyes:
When your friend re-dyed after after the first 'patchy' attempt did she need to bleach or un-dye before the second dye? I've had a similar problem with an IKEA sofa cover and would like to retry.

Big thanks,
Al.
The Following User Says Thank You to lomoland For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
balmaiden
Old 11-08-2009, 8:29 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

No she didn't bleach them. She treated them as if they hadn't already been dyed. Just weighed them and used the correct amount of dye. As opposed to simply guessing how much to use.
Away with the fairies.... Back soon
# 11
DianeWard
Old 11-08-2009, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi there,I have dyed a set of ikea and another cotton sofa covers with Dylon machine dyes.They were cream-very impractical with 2 little monsters and their dirty paws!!lol!!They are now purple!!
The cheapest place I have seen the dyes are on ebay where they can be bought in bulk and/or singly.
Please note that these only really work well on cotton fabrics.
Hope it helps.Good luck!!
Di.
# 12
Sarah and nick
Old 19-11-2009, 11:29 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default dyeing sofa covers...

Can anyone tell me if it leaves any dye behind in your machine? I'd love to do this, but am just worried that I'll end up with all my clothes turning out the same colour for weeks to come!

Also, I've currently got green sofa's and was wondering if that will affect the colour that the dye eventually turns out as- does anyone have any experience of this?
thanks,
# 13
angel81uk
Old 19-11-2009, 1:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah and nick View Post
Can anyone tell me if it leaves any dye behind in your machine? I'd love to do this, but am just worried that I'll end up with all my clothes turning out the same colour for weeks to come!

Also, I've currently got green sofa's and was wondering if that will affect the colour that the dye eventually turns out as- does anyone have any experience of this?
thanks,
Dylon recommend that you put the machine through an empty wash cycle to clean any remaining dye out afterwards. I generally do a load of black washing for my proper wash after dyeing just in case.

As for colours, generally speaking normal colour mixing rules apply. E.g. if you had a red sofa and used a blue dye you would end up with a purple sofa. They do sell a pre dye though which will take the fabric back to a neutral colour so you should end up with the colour on the pack. There's loads on info on the dylon website
# 14
lynnexxxo
Old 19-03-2010, 4:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I know this is a very old thread..

But I just wanted to share.. I have a six seater corner ikea sofa, and the covers were looking very tired. So took the plunge and have dyed them the most fantastic shade of purple. I used the Dylon intense violet and they are now a lovely aubergine shade. I got the dye on ebay - I needed 15 packs, which worked out at 45 delivered.

It took me ages though as I had to do the dyeing in five lots (1800g fabric, 3 packs of dye) and you have to wash them first, and then wash them afterwards too (so 15 loads in the one day).

The dye has slightly stained the seal at the front of my machine but came of with a bit of a scrub and have not found any problem with the dye turning anything else purple.

The covers were mocha brown to begin with.

I am truely delighted with the results, very even and it just looking like a new sofa.

Edit : bargain alert Home Bargains has the black dylon dye for 2.99 per pack.
# 15
downshifter
Old 20-03-2010, 7:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Adding to this old thread - I have an Ikea sofa that I don't think they do any more, and certainly don't do replacement covers in colours I want, so I asked them about plain white covers which they ordered for me and which are great. I've dyed them terracotta and used Dylon/ salt like everyone else and they are excellent. (Although a pair of knickers did get into the washing machine - can I start a trend for terracotta knickers?!)
I have since found though that when washing them, the dye does come out very slightly, not massively and the shabby chic look was what I was aiming for anyway, but it's important to ensure that when you wash them afterwards you do all parts, not just the cushions. Which is what I did and after a couple of washes ended up with an interesting 2 tone look. I washed the arms/valance/back bit a couple of times to 'catch up' and all is fine now.

Dyeing is brilliant, has saved masses of money and really works. There is a warning that it might not take on fireproofed fabrics but mine were plain cotton (and the knickers nylon) and the dye has taken, and stuck, really well and it's at least 2 years down the line now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to downshifter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ragz
Old 04-04-2010, 7:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Excellent thread and has convinced me to give it a go! I have a navy sofa and a white sofa, both given to us second hand at various times but they are good quality ones, feather filled cushions and hardwearing so I want to keep them. However the white is not suitable with little ones around (I tell them it's ornamental, not for sitting on!!) so I'm going to dye it navy to mach the other so I can use it without being paranoid. It's only a small 2 seater so shouldn't be too hard, just need to weigh the covers!

Thanks for all the great advice on this thread (sorry for bumping!)
Ragz is busy studying
Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.

Last edited by ragz; 04-04-2010 at 9:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
zippychick
Old 04-04-2010, 8:08 PM

Ragz - we prefer to keep all the like discussion together in Old Style so you have no need to apologise for bumping a relevant thread !

Report back, it sounds exciting!
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
ragz
Old 04-04-2010, 9:56 PM

Have worked out I need about 8 packs (overestimating, it's a small sofa), will weigh more acurately before I order. But I can't find it cheaper than 5.50 a pack, which makes it pretty expensive... even on ebay.
Ragz is busy studying
Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
The Following User Says Thank You to ragz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
zippychick
Old 04-04-2010, 9:57 PM

hmmmmm! Could you buy less and do it a lighter shade?

or could you message the ebay seller and see if they do discount for buying such a large quantity? You don't ask, you don't get!

Or i would message a seller asking what price they would to the postage for 8 boxes - often they offer much cheaper so it could work out a good but less than you originally thought?
I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
Norn Iron club member #380

Last edited by zippychick; 04-04-2010 at 10:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zippychick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
downshifter
Old 04-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Bought mine in Wilkinson's, have you tried there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to downshifter For This Useful Post: Show me >>