Car Insurance Help

Options
Hi,
My car insurance is due to be renewed in a few weeks. I am the policy holder and my fiance is a named driver.
Last year, my fiance sold his personal vehicle and purchased a work vehicle - we share my car now. His work vehicle is an Amarok which counts as a commercial vehicle - you cannot transfer your No Claims over to a commercial vehicle.
He has 10 years No Claims and does not want to lose these. He only has his work vehicle now and is a named driver on the insurance for the car we share. Are there any insurance policies whereby we can both continue to build our No Claims? We have no idea what to do about our insurance this year - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The way to keep them is alive is to take turns each year taking out cover.

He will need to ensure the insurer is aware that you are the owner/keeper
  • robynlouisa
    Options
    I presume it's perfectly legal to do that?

Also when we fill in the insurance form - when it's my fiances turn, is it only the 'Are you the legal owner' and 'Are you the registered keeper' questions that he has to say are me?
  • Quentin
    Options
    Why do you think its not "perfectly legal"?

When completing applications for insurance all questions need to be answered truthfully, not just those about owner and keeper!
  • robynlouisa
    Options
    I understand the form has to be filled in truthfully. I just wanted to check that alternating insurance each year is OK and not breaking any rules.
  • Quentin
    Options
    As explained, make sure they know about who is the owner and keeper, and answer all other questions truthfully!

The car has to be insured. Illegal if not!

Doesn't matter who actual does the insuring!
  • robynlouisa
    Options
    Thank you!

Just one other question - can my fiance be the policy holder for our shared car (which I own) and be the policy holder for his work vehicle (commercial insurance). Can you have 2 policies on different cars at the same time?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Of course.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can use your personal no claims on a commercial vehicle.

Transferring it back maybe a problem though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• robynlouisa
    Options
    Do you know of a Company that will do that? I know when he looked last year he couldn't find anyone willing to accept them?
  • Quentin
    Options
    Most will, though as already posted you cannot normally switch NCD back from van to car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure