Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robynlouisa
    • By robynlouisa 8th Feb 18, 2:20 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    robynlouisa
    Car Insurance Help
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:20 PM
    Car Insurance Help 8th Feb 18 at 2:20 PM
    Hi,
    My car insurance is due to be renewed in a few weeks. I am the policy holder and my fiance is a named driver.
    Last year, my fiance sold his personal vehicle and purchased a work vehicle - we share my car now. His work vehicle is an Amarok which counts as a commercial vehicle - you cannot transfer your No Claims over to a commercial vehicle.
    He has 10 years No Claims and does not want to lose these. He only has his work vehicle now and is a named driver on the insurance for the car we share. Are there any insurance policies whereby we can both continue to build our No Claims? We have no idea what to do about our insurance this year - any help would be greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 34,497 Posts
    • 18,464 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    The way to keep them is alive is to take turns each year taking out cover.

He will need to ensure the insurer is aware that you are the owner/keeper
    • robynlouisa
    • By robynlouisa 8th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robynlouisa
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:45 PM
    I presume it's perfectly legal to do that?

Also when we fill in the insurance form - when it's my fiances turn, is it only the 'Are you the legal owner' and 'Are you the registered keeper' questions that he has to say are me?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 34,497 Posts
    • 18,464 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    Why do you think its not "perfectly legal"?

When completing applications for insurance all questions need to be answered truthfully, not just those about owner and keeper!
    • robynlouisa
    • By robynlouisa 8th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robynlouisa
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:23 PM
    I understand the form has to be filled in truthfully. I just wanted to check that alternating insurance each year is OK and not breaking any rules.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 34,497 Posts
    • 18,464 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    As explained, make sure they know about who is the owner and keeper, and answer all other questions truthfully!

The car has to be insured. Illegal if not!

Doesn't matter who actual does the insuring!
    • robynlouisa
    • By robynlouisa 8th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robynlouisa
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    Thank you!

Just one other question - can my fiance be the policy holder for our shared car (which I own) and be the policy holder for his work vehicle (commercial insurance). Can you have 2 policies on different cars at the same time?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 15,455 Posts
    • 16,379 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    Of course.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 26,595 Posts
    • 10,680 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    You can use your personal no claims on a commercial vehicle.

Transferring it back maybe a problem though.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • robynlouisa
    • By robynlouisa 8th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robynlouisa
    Do you know of a Company that will do that? I know when he looked last year he couldn't find anyone willing to accept them?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Feb 18, 5:26 PM
    • 34,497 Posts
    • 18,464 Thanks
    Quentin
    Most will, though as already posted you cannot normally switch NCD back from van to car
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,178Posts Today

10,116Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm a little torn tonight with #mcfc on BBC1, but I will be watching ITV at 8pm!

• Have you set the Betamax? If not just watch @itvMLshow tonight 8pm. On the best way to save for your child (or gran? https://t.co/fFER6xIFpa

• I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

• Follow Martin