PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What to look out for when buying a new home

Hi all,
Reading the forum posts some members have mentioned instances where the new home they bought had modifications done to it by developer without them being aware - e.g. driveway orientation modified, garden shortened or window designs changed. Or worse they gone handed over a home with major faults like fixtures not correct or damp problem.
Any specific question or things I should look out for when choosing a new home?
And any developer to stay away from or are they all the same?
Many thanks.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Not all developers are the same. There are bound to be significant differences between large national companies worth billions, who use much contract labour, and smaller firms with their own more stable work force and connections to outside contractors.

But even within the same organisation there can be quite marked differences between sites, depending on the effectiveness of management.

One of my close relatives works on the management side and he's recently moved from a larger contractor to a much smaller outfit, because he could no longer maintain the standards he was used to achieving. He'd become disillusioned with the quality of labour supplied and the constant re-doing of work that was not completed properly first time around.

But how to sort the wheat from the chaff? Hopefully, someone will come along and give you some pointers. I'm sure there are some good new builds out there, but I'd not buy new myself. I like to see how an area of housing has shaken-down as a community, because that's the other 'known unknown' with new build estates.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport