Guitar for a 7 year old

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place for this....my 7 year wants to learn to play the guitar. Not sure if it’s a serious thing or not but I can’t say no as I never had the opportunity

Given I have never played any instrument anyone help with where I should start with it?

Thanks

Comments

• We bought a childrens guitar from a music shop when the youngest started learning to play. I wouldn't spend too much as he may soon loose interest like mine!
    I would search selling pages on facebook or look oneBay for a childrens guitar and then watch some youtube videos to start with!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 February 2018 at 12:43AM
    They have children sized acoustic guitars in Argos. All my children learned to play the guitar, one had lessons at school. The other two learned chords via the internet.

http://www.argos.co.uk/browse/sports-and-leisure/musical-instruments/guitars-and-accessories/acoustic-guitars/c:30690/
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 February 2018 at 1:02PM
    I would ask about opportunities in school first. At my kids!!!8217; school, Year 4 learn as a class, with guitars supplied.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,292 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Start by looking for teachers or a trial lesson, it is a waste to buy an instrument and then be told it is wrong or better deals exist.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi

Thanks for reply. The class is at school but they don!!!8217;t have enough equipment so have asked parents to provide
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    aj9648 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks for reply. The class is at school but they don!!!8217;t have enough equipment so have asked parents to provide

Then ask the school for advice on what to buy. Can you buy th same as the school use?
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Jojo_the_Tightfisted Posts: 27,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 February 2018 at 9:06PM
    Half size Spanish guitar. Go to a real music shop, not online or Argos. And ask the person in the shop to play it, run your fingers along the neck to check for rough edges to the frets - they may throw in a set up for free, a discount for external lessons if LO wants to continue after the school's budget has run out for lessons, etc.

Clip on chromatic tuner at home, along with a pack of LR2012 (flat) batteries from Amazon. About £3. You won't need an expensive one.

Pack of Alice brand nylon strings from Amazon, light gauge/tension. About £3.45 when I ordered some for work yesterday afternoon.

Case with a long strap (easier to carry on the school run than just two little handles). The shop might be prepared to throw it in for free.

Name on the back and on the case.

Change out of £40 for bottom level, £60 if you go for something a bit nicer/better made, £80 if you want something more. £120 if you want to go for a big name/something that, with a few repairs, would still be used everyday in a school 25 years after purchase (like the ones at work).

You don't need picks/plectrums, straps, for Spanishes. 'Acoustics' tends to mean steel strung, which is a little rough on little fingers.

Oh, and about £3 for a couple of packets of stickers so LO can personalise their instrument. (which also ensures that nobody else takes the guitar home because they've bought the identical one and snapped a tuning peg/machine head or stood on theirs - character stickers on the front will make it harder to remove all evidence of it being your LO's - like sewn in name badges lessen the chance of you being left with the manky, shrunken 5 year old school jumper instead of the brand new one you got at Christmas :))

5-10 minutes practice a day will make them improve more than 95% of the class, you'll spend a lot of time retuning the guitar when the strings are new. Keep it away from radiators, don't leave it laying on the floor, and, if you want practice to be something done by choice, reverse psychology suggests allowing them to play guitar when told it's time to do their timestables/spellings/etc, as they associate it with good things, rather than homework/interfering with TV time.

[I do this for a living]
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Jojo- thanks - that was great. Going to a shop tomorrow
  • Robots
    Robots Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Wedding Day Wonder
    I!!!8217;m glad going to a proper music shop was suggested. It!!!8217;s a good idea to buy a decent instrument (funds allowing) as the sound will be so much better - hopefully meaning your little one is more likely to enjoy it and stick with it!
    Veteran gamer and clean freak :kiss:
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    The problem is that they often lose interest because the instrument is so poor as to be unplayable.

There are good value instruments that do play quite well but go to a music shop. Buying on-line is so tempting but not a good idea, you need to hear it and see if it's up to the job.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure