Saving - on a lower income

Options

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 31 January 2018 at 9:27PM
    Options
    Given that FlexDirect 5% is now a one time offer only, the OP might consider saving this until they have saved up a £2,500 pot, to get the maximum benefit from the promotional rate. roxy28 is correct in that the minimum pay in is only required for the current account interest, not to qualify for and hold the regular saver.

The Regular Saver can also be qualified for via the FlexAccount by paying in £750 per month for each of the last three months or by switching into the account in the last 4 months. The £750 pay in also needs to continue going forward, otherwise Nationwide may downgrade the Regular Saver to an instant access account. The FlexAccount can be easily upgraded to the FlexDirect via internet banking when you have a lump sum to keep in the current account.

The Nationwide regular saver also allows withdrawals and replacing of withdrawn funds, subject to a maximum monthly increase in the account balance of £250. This is ideal if you may need access to the funds during the term.

You may also find the MSE guide to where to start saving useful: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account
  • roxy28
    roxy28 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    You need to pay in £1,000 pcm to the FlexDirect if you want the 1% as well

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexdirect/rates-fees-overdrafts
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    Are you sure you're getting 1%? I think you don't get any interest if you don't pay in the £1000.

Yes you are right i forgot that.
    :T
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ak92 wrote: »
    Haha my bad, I'm in Leicester. Thanks

So the Virgin Money RS would net you £36 is you max it over 12 months.

This is an amazing list of Regular Savers that someone did: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5776240

But looks like in Leicester itself, you have the standard banks. If you have a current account with HSBC, Santander or Nationwide you could open one of their linked regular savers paying 5% with varying monthly deposit caps, netting you between £65-£80 over 12 months proving you max.

However, you do have a Leeds Building Society branch, so you could open the Regular Saver (Issue 11). 2.55%, 12 months, up to £250 a month. You could open another one 12 month later and start again.

You have a Nottingham Building Society in Cossington, so you could open Regular Saver (Issue 3). It is 1.5%, and you can deposit up to £500 a month, but the great thing about this one is that the max. balance is £750k, so it's effectively without a time term (you'd die before you reached the max. lol) so you can add up to £500 a month year after year after year. If you put your £300 in a month for 10 years at 1.5%, you'd get £2,862 in interest. Even more if you saved more a month and if the rate goes up (likely).

You also have a Yorkshire Building Society in Leicester, which is a 2 year account, where you can again deposit up to £500 a month, and it pays 2% (they put their rate up in line with the base rate, so could increase more soon). Your £300 a month for 10 years would earn you £3,882.

If you opened a Virgin Money RS each time it matures ever year for 10 years, at current rate of 2.25% paying £36 per RS at the end of each 12 month term (so 10 regular savers in total), 36 x 10 is only £360.

I find Building Society's are better for Regular Savers as they tend to have longer terms, high max. caps. Lower rates but they pay you more long term, because they compound over longer periods.

For example, Firect Direct RS will pay out the most of any in one year, £96, provided you have their current account, over 10 years that's £960, 10 of their regular savers, and sticking with First Direct (who don't have branches) for 10 years. Go for a Building Society, and look thorugh that list. :beer:
  • Ak92
    Ak92 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Hi aj23 thanks so much for taking the time to research and write up your reply, much appreciated. I like the look of the Leeds Building Society Regular Saver (Issue 11). 2.55%. And that list is very comprehensive.

I also like the look of the Homesdale BS Young saver which switches to a HomeSaver account when I turn 23. Do you know much about this account and if it looks too good to be true?

Thanks again
  • aj23_2
    Options
    Hi aj23 thanks so much for taking the time to research and write up your reply, much appreciated. I like the look of the Leeds Building Society Regular Saver (Issue 11). 2.55%. And that list is very comprehensive.

I also like the look of the Homesdale BS Young saver which switches to a HomeSaver account when I turn 23. Do you know much about this account and if it looks too good to be true?

Thanks again

You're welcome :beer:

That does look good actually. Some will say it's below inflation, but they would be missing the point that you can deposit up to £25k before you're 23, and then it switches to an account where you effectively get the same rate. It all looks legitimate.

I always think longer term accounts are better because of the compounding of interest over many years instead of just one year, so if you feel like this is a good one then go for this one.

How old are you?
  • Ak92
    Options
    I have just turned 22, right now I am thinking short term and want to concentrate on saving for a deposit on a house. However I could probably afford a little bit to put in a long term savings account or investment account. It's just that I have recently changed job and have an increased salary therefore making it easier to save, plus I'm still living with mum (so not paying rent) so I am fortunate in that sense.

Yep I think I am going to stick with Homesdale and then transfer money into skipton LISA, and have Leeds BS regular saver on too. Every time I try and find issue 11 it redirects me to issue 12? Is there any difference?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    have you joined your work pension?
  • aj23_2
    Options
    I have just turned 22, right now I am thinking short term and want to concentrate on saving for a deposit on a house. However I could probably afford a little bit to put in a long term savings account or investment account. It's just that I have recently changed job and have an increased salary therefore making it easier to save, plus I'm still living with mum (so not paying rent) so I am fortunate in that sense.

Yep I think I am going to stick with Homesdale and then transfer money into skipton LISA, and have Leeds BS regular saver on too. Every time I try and find issue 11 it redirects me to issue 12? Is there any difference?

Ah okay, so you have 11 months or so to deposit as much as possible to that Homesdale account. You'd be better off max out either Homesdale or Leeds instead of doing both. Homesdale you haven't got much time left, whereas Leeds always have a regular saver.

What would you use a LISA for? House or pension?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

It appears that issue 11 was replaced with issue 12 on 1st Feb, so you wouldn't be able to open issue 11. The rate is still the same but whether anything has changed elsewhere in the terms I'm not sure.

Issues do change from time to time as a new maturity date for the account is set. Sometimes a new issue will have a different interest rate or change the amount that can be deposited per month.

Issue 12 matures on 31st January 2019.
  • Ak92
    Options
    I would use LISA for a house. I work within the civil service so I have a pension with them which I have heard is pretty good. Is there a reason why I shouldn't use both if I have the funds to do So, or is it just worthwhile to save in the young savers account for long term?

Thanks Kim, that clears things up I will have a quick read through the t&c and see if there is anything in there that doesn't sound worthwhile for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure