Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Thiri
    • By MSE Thiri 26th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MSE Thiri
    Have you dealt with a care home after a loved oneís death?
    • 26th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    Have you dealt with a care home after a loved oneís death? 26th Jan 18 at 4:23 PM
    The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is consulting on fees charged by UK care and nursing homes for the elderly after the death of a resident.

The CMA is concerned that it may be unfair to keep charging fees for a long time. If your relative, or someone you represented, passed away in a home, the CMA would like to hear about your experiences via this short questionnaire. Your information will inform its guidance to care homes on this issue.

For more on how your comments will be used, see the CMA information sheet.

After youíve done the survey, please do feel free to also share your experiences below.
    Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 27th Jan 18, 4:39 AM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 27th Jan 18, 4:39 AM
    • 27th Jan 18, 4:39 AM
    I can't remove enough security to access the questionnaire.

We signed a four week notice contract with my mothers care home & we didn't get billed for the 4th week after her death so a plus one there. She died just before noon. I cleared most of her belongings that evening & went back the next morning to remove the last few more bulky items. I found the wardrobe & drawers full & as I was leaving before 11am (so less than 24 hours after her death) almost collided with the new resident moving in! They did know I was there as it was not possible to gain access otherwise. So a minus one there.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 27th Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    • 19,944 Posts
    • 32,726 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    I hadn't even realised they did charge until I just read this! I'd never thought about it

How long is the 'norm'?

It's something I need to make sure my Mum is aware of, who has POA for my Nan.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 27th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 23,461 Posts
    • 61,029 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    My father died in 2003. I don!!!8217;t recall any problem with fees, but I was not allowed to remove his personal possessions until probate.

Bit of a fuss for a television, radio, clothes and books.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 27th Jan 18, 8:40 AM
    • 61,583 Posts
    • 360,590 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:40 AM
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:40 AM
    I knew about the charging for a month after they've died before we signed. We had to sign as you don't really have much choice at the time, you have to choose a home at fairly short notice and it has to be the right location, the right price, able to take those needs, you have to visit them to check them .... etc etc - all while dealing with the person's household in another town and visiting them in hospital in another town ....

So you sign anyway.

In the event - the final week or so were provided under NHS Continuing Care after hospital discharge and as the contract was being paid by them we had £0 to pay as giving notice etc was all under the agreement the home had with them. We didn't have to give notice at all, saved us £4k in total from memory. When discharged we did have to pay the bill for the first couple of weeks, but then some nurse woman "signed off" the order that got us out of the firing line for the final/empty room bill. Not really sure as I never had the conversation.

You do begrudge the money... a whole month is an unreasonable amount of time to have set as a rigid amount.
    • tooldle
    • By tooldle 27th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    tooldle
    • 27th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 27th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    Not had to pay the charge yet as mum is still with us. However i have noticed that rooms are not occupied straight after death, in this home. New residents are not always able to act promptly with a move. When my mum was offered a room, it took me just over a week to get all the necessary paperwork together and to get her moved. I wonít be able to clear her room asap either, as i will need to organise transport. Allow some extra time for redecorating, recarpeting etc and i can see how a changeover of residents could take a number of weeks.
    • quietheart
    • By quietheart 27th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 1,921 Thanks
    quietheart
    • 27th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 27th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    We stopped paying the day my dad died. We cleared his room the following day and it was relet within a week.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 27th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 27th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 27th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    Did not know about this either. At the least I think there should be a discount on the normal rate, since they're not having to provide food or care for the person any longer. If there has to be a notice period, I think it should end when the room is re-let, if earlier. If some homes are getting two lots of fees, cake and eating it comes to mind.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • WillowCat
    • By WillowCat 27th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    WillowCat
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    We collected my gran's possessions the day after she died, they billed us only up to the date of death.

However, although she was self funding the council had arranged the placement and signed the contract (we then paid the council) so may have had different rules than if we had contracted ourselves.
    • panagia
    • By panagia 28th Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    panagia
    Not a care home as such, but a support home/supported housing for the disabled. A resident died suddenly and unexpectedly, and it took ages (weeks) for the coroners report to come through as the cause of death was unclear. Meanwhile they wanted to clear the room of her possessions so that they could re-let it to another person. It all got really messy.
    • ossettbob
    • By ossettbob 6th Feb 18, 7:53 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ossettbob
    When my wife received the contract for her sister`s nursing home, it gave the charge period of 2 weeks after she died. Wife had to accept this as she only received the contract after her sister had been in the home for 10 months !. Her sister died on 2 January & her room was cleared the day after. As up-front payment was paid by direct debit on 2nd the nursing home owed £1975 to the estate. Still not received this. Their payment terms are the 1st of every month in advance by direct debit. If not paid on that date, they charge interest on a daily basis. However, they do not like paying money back. They also had cash in account for hairdresser etc. & my wife had to demand this payment when it had not been paid back in a month. With nursing homes it is all money, money, money !!
    • jog
    • By jog 7th Feb 18, 6:26 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    jog
    Our relatives home charge until the room is cleared and therefore becomes re-usable.
    • AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 7th Feb 18, 9:59 AM
    • 950 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    AndyBSG
    Slightly different scenario here.

My grandfather owned an apartment/flat in an assisted living retirement complex which had a monthly service charge in the region of £500 per month.

After his death we had to wait for probate to be granted before we could sell the property.

All of that took the best part of a year until the property was finally sold and we had to continue paying the full service charge during that time.

Worth noting that according to their web site the service charge is for the following

- Building and Grounds Maintenance
    - Daily warden check on residents
    - 3 meals a day
    - Weekly housekeeping service
    - Activities such as bingo, movie night, etc in the common area
    - Weekly laundry service

The first one I have no issue with but all of the subsequent 'services' were obviously no longer in use yet we were still charged the full amount which came in at just under £5,000 before the sale was finally completed.

Additionally, you could only sell the property through their own marketing/estate agents which incurs a 3% charge of the sale price... No option to use purple bricks or any other cheap estate agents allowed!

That cost another £8,000 so they benefited from my grandfathers death to the tune of almost £14,000....
    • GillCMA
    • By GillCMA 16th Feb 18, 10:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GillCMA
    A big thank you to everyone who has posted - we are very grateful to you for sharing your stories with the CMA. Just to say, there is still time to fill in the survey that Thiri links to in the opening post. The consultation closes at 5pm today

You can also email the project team on carehomesconsumer@cma.gsi.gov.uk

Thanks again, Gill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,025Posts Today

9,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: A huge thank you to everyone who has signed our #RecoverySpace campaign letter so far - we have reached over 1,000 names! If you?

• RT @fikee: Told a ridiculously cool young lad behind me in the supermarket that I loved his boots. He looked at me and in that split secon?

• Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Follow Martin