Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Becoming a private tutor- all questions here (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Becoming a private tutor- all questions here
Views: 280,986
# 1
therivierakid
Old 17-10-2007, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Becoming a private tutor- all questions here

I'd like to earn some extra income by doing some maths tutoring. I have a maths degree and a masters degree in another subject. I also helped my sister through her maths A-level.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to what I should do, how much to charge, where to advertise, whether I should get any further training...

TIA

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 30-10-2007 at 7:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to therivierakid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
foreversomeday
Old 17-10-2007, 1:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you're planning on working with children it's always a good idea to get a CRB check done, which proves you have no convictions which might put a child at risk - unfortunately it doesn't seem that you can get one done yourself. Perhaps you could start off with an agency?

Ask at a local school for advice too!
I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foreversomeday For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dmg24
Old 17-10-2007, 1:54 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

An agency would ask for some sort of teaching experience (though not necessarily a PGCE).

I tutor students up to GCSE (I am currently studying towards my PGCE), and have got my students through recommendation. Because I am gaining experience as well as helping the student, I only charge 5 an hour. However, this is supplemented by endless gifts from the students - one always brings me Ben and Jerrys and a magazine! x
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
therivierakid
Old 17-10-2007, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks. I'll look and see if there's any agencies who are hiring.

dmg, are you studying for your PGCE part-time? I'm also interested in a career change and I've been thinking about going into adult education.
The Following User Says Thank You to therivierakid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Ystrad Lad
Old 17-10-2007, 2:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

£5 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't sell yourself short £18 -£20 is the going rate.

Enhanced CRB checks are essential though, I wouldn't let a stranger teach my kids without one. If you do any part time teaching/lecturing, the school or college will get one (eventually).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ystrad Lad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
annie123
Old 17-10-2007, 3:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Location: In a tropical paradise in my head but in reality, London!

When my son asked for a maths tutor I used our local paper paid 6 per hour if you booked 10 hours or 8.50 if single hours. I spoke to several people before deciding on one. Got names from our local paper.

A friend works for an agency teaching French to A level. They take a third of the hourly rate, so she tries to find students privatly... works out better for her.
# 7
barnaby-bear
Old 17-10-2007, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ystrad Lad View Post
5 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't sell yourself short 18 -20 is the going rate.

Enhanced CRB checks are essential though, I wouldn't let a stranger teach my kids without one. If you do any part time teaching/lecturing, the school or college will get one (eventually).
I charge 30 per hour and I'm not charging more than anyone else in the area - a prestigious university and higher degree helps, London it can be up to 40 - I don't do too much though too little time but once you get one you'll get half a dozen from the same school knocking at your door... stick to one school if you can - one syllabus to keep changing... after the first month I did this I've consistently had to turn far more down than I accept or Mrs. BB would tolerate :rolleyes: I'm only prepared to do it in a family area in the parental home with parents there - some people will suggest you go upstairs with their 15 yr old daughter so they can watch the telly - don't. Agencies take around 30% in my experience - good way to start.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barnaby-bear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
bucksliz
Old 17-10-2007, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If you live in an area where the 11 plus is still around you can charge 25-35 per hour just to 'babysit' the children whist they sit past papers. You can download the papers on-line and take several children at once. I know of a tutor locally who takes up to 10 at a time (all at the above rates) Our head teacher at the local primary says that's where she's going when she retires. There's money to be made out there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bucksliz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
scorpianking02
Old 17-10-2007, 10:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by therivierakid View Post
I have a maths degree and a masters degree in another subject.
Cool. Which uni did you go to? What was the other subject?
# 10
jamtart6
Old 17-10-2007, 10:21 PM

I'm pretty fluent in French and have an A-Level in it and kept it up since. In fact I'm good at speaking, good at grammar, good at listening, its just sitting the bloomin exams that I seem to be naff at (I am gutted with my C at A-Level but have an A* GCSE) reckon this would be any good to tutor??

Also got a degree in geography - reckon there is much call for tutors? probably not

Being Thrifty Gifty again this year

# 11
therivierakid
Old 18-10-2007, 7:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpianking02 View Post
Cool. Which uni did you go to? What was the other subject?
Maths at Warwick. Manufacturing at Cranfield.
# 12
full-time-mum
Old 19-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamtart6 View Post
I'm pretty fluent in French and have an A-Level in it and kept it up since. In fact I'm good at speaking, good at grammar, good at listening, its just sitting the bloomin exams that I seem to be naff at (I am gutted with my C at A-Level but have an A* GCSE) reckon this would be any good to tutor??

Also got a degree in geography - reckon there is much call for tutors? probably not
I believe that primary schools are going to have to provide some foreign language teaching in the not too distant future. If you have some spare time, and could volunteer for a bit, lots of schools would jump at the chance to supplement their PPA cover costs with a bit of free french tuition and you would then have some experience when the jobs became available.
My DD did about 5 lessons of spanish in year 5 and 5 lessons of french in year 6 as a taster.

There are also French classes in our area provided by a franchise (I think) called La Jolle Rounde. No idea what the criteria are or the costs but the site might be worth a look.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to full-time-mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
dmg24
Old 19-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I'll look and see if there's any agencies who are hiring.

dmg, are you studying for your PGCE part-time? I'm also interested in a career change and I've been thinking about going into adult education.
Sorry so long to reply, yes, I am doing the PGCE part time at Nottingham.

Ystrad, by charging £5 an hour I am keeping it as an informal arrangement. Therefore I do not need to pay tax, NI, public liability insurance etc. The people that I tutor would not be able to afford £15, and if I was paying that much, I would expect the tutor to have a teaching qualification.

It really is down to personal choice as to what you charge. I work with the children of friends, and by charging less I get much more back in return - gifts (ice cream!), nights out paid for etc.

The primary reason why I do it is because I love working with children. No matter how skilled you are in an area, please do not even consider tutoring if you do not enjoy being around children.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dmg24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
full-time-mum
Old 19-10-2007, 2:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg24 View Post
No matter how skilled you are in an area, please do not even consider tutoring if you do not enjoy being around children.
Very sound advice.

Last edited by full-time-mum; 19-10-2007 at 3:21 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to full-time-mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
scorpianking02
Old 19-10-2007, 5:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Maths at Warwick.
Wow. You must be flippin' clever. Why do you want to tutour? You should have some great options (as long as you got 2:1 + )
# 16
Merlin-the-hound
Old 19-10-2007, 9:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The PGCE has now been changed to Petles and Kettles? Er...no idea what the letters are - either way the course is the same, two years. Oh, you don't have to have a degree to get a teaching qualification (it used to be the CertEd).

They are all part time courses usually one evening a week (dependent on the college that's running it). This will cover lesson plans, SoW, practical teaching (oh yes, you will need to aquire 60 hours of teaching per year - normally over 9 students at any one go), learning styles, risk assessment.....

The government (local council/Student finance bods) can give you a grant to cover the cost of the course.

It may well pay you to ask at a local adult education college and see if you can take evening classes.

Merlin
# 17
jessicamb
Old 19-10-2007, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg24 View Post

Ystrad, by charging 5 an hour I am keeping it as an informal arrangement. Therefore I do not need to pay tax, NI, public liability insurance etc. The people that I tutor would not be able to afford 15, and if I was paying that much, I would expect the tutor to have a teaching qualification.
you should be declaring the income and paying associated taxes/NI. All earnings are taxable.
The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
The Following User Says Thank You to jessicamb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
tomstickland
Old 19-10-2007, 9:49 PM

I did some maths tutoring about 10 years ago. I found it pretty easy TBH and there were people out there desperate for maths tutors. Like everything, it does involve time and effort though, so when I started a full time job I valued my time as being more important than the money.

I worked via an agency.
# 19
ViksB
Old 20-10-2007, 7:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Could anybody recommend any good agencies as this is something I am considering too.??
Thanks
Viks
# 20
flossy_splodge
Old 21-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Thumbs up

I would sugget you go into one or more of the local schools you would like to work with and ask firstly if they ever recommend private tuition and secondly which agency they use for supply teachers. Also look out for employment fairs as these agencies often attend them. Good luck.
I also tutor maths privately but only ever get pupils on personal recommendation, both me to them and vice versa.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
― John Wooden
The Following User Says Thank You to flossy_splodge For This Useful Post: Show me >>