PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Best and worst places to live in essex?

with a budget of no more than £240000 min 2 bed.

Comments

• Mose,

Just had my place valued this weekend - moving into girlfriend's place...

South Woodham Ferrers, lived there 11 years.

2 up 2 down End of Terrace with attached garage, parking space
    outside of EA flood area
    £182,500
  • robwend
    robwend Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    best places thorpe bay, 2nd best place, great wakering lol i live there lol, worst place, anywhere near or in basildon eeewy place,, oh and as the above has done it, mines on the market in 3 weeks lol due to divorce , 3 bed semi everything brand new total referb, £215000. lmao
    You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
  • nollag2006
    nollag2006 Posts: 2,638 Forumite
    Ware is on the Herts / Essex border, with a reasonably good train link into London, and is a very pretty town:
    http://www.findaproperty.com/searchresults.aspx?loc=Ware&minprice=150000&maxprice=240000&bedrooms=1&res=1&salerent=0&edid=0&areaid=552
  • trf1960
    trf1960 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Mose, Essex is a pretty big county so you would be better off looking on the websites like Rightmove to get an idea of where in Essex you could afford and then get back to us (that actually live or have lived in Essex) for opinions. ;)
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,066 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You need to be a bit more specific!

Do you need to commute into London by car or train?

Are you retiring?

:confused:
  • fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Hutton, Brentwood 3 bed house for around £215000. Can get fast train from Shenfield Station to Liverpool Street Station in 22 minutes. Good Schools, low crime rate
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • mose_2
    mose_2 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replys, we live in dagenham at the mo and want somewhere nicer than that (it couldn't get much worse!) we will still have to travel into dagenham for work so no more than 45 mins to an hour tops. We have looked around Hutton and didn't think much of it a bit run down looking for the price you have to pay. We have seen a house in canvey island that is very nice (detached 3 bed £225000) just not so sure that canvey is very nice. We want that mix of cheap houses and good area, just cant seem to find any?
  • fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    There is a part of Hutton that is mostly council and ex council estate. Was that where you ended up looking as I agree that is a no no. But most places in Hutton are excellant and very middle class area. I used to live in Becontree, Dagenham and believe me Hutton is a thousand times better
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • You want to avoid Canvey as it is a ticking time bomb! If one of the refineries caught fire they estimate that they would only be able to evacuate 40% of the population via the only 2 roads off the island before it explodes! Also it is below sea-level and will probably flood again in the future.

See the following parliament debate for an eye-opener:
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmhansrd/cm061120/debtext/61120-0019.htm
    I will show that a similar catastrophe with LNG could make Buncefield look like a village bonfire-night party.

Let me paint a realistic picture of the risk that we face. An escape of LNG would freeze everything in its path. The HSE confirms that there is no way to control such an LNG spill. At atmospheric pressure, LNG would vaporise to form a massive and growing cloud. That cloud would float or blow around in the wind, mixing with air to form an unstable and combustible mixture. Eventually, it would ignite and flash into a high temperature fire. It would then burn and set alight everything in its path, destroying whoever and whatever stood in its way. One estimate has put a 10-mile radius as the danger area. That draws in Basildon; Thurrock; Southend, West; Rayleigh and even Kent.

There are a lot of nice places around Canvey, South Benfleet, Thundersley, etc. that you could look at, however.
  • trf1960
    trf1960 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Agree what others have said about Canvey - and lets face it, anywhere that has properties that would be well over a million anywhere else but for less than half than that in Canvey speaks for itself !

Well after a boring morning at work (most of it spent surfing the internet) I can tell you Mose that £240K will get you a pretty nice 2/3 bed house in most parts of Essex (the further out the better naturally) so it really just needs for you to look yourself and get back to us for comments/opinions.

And remember, what you or I would consider a good area someone else may consider a dump and vice versa!! Last night's "best and worst places to live in they UK" was surprising in that it listed Chelmsford as the no. 8 best place to live and yet I can think of many more places I would rather live in Essex than Chelmsford. I have to mention but did you see where the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham came in the list? :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure