Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nick2132
    • By Nick2132 13th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Nick2132
    Multicar Insurance. Scam?
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    Multicar Insurance. Scam? 13th Jan 18 at 8:29 AM
    Hi,

Imagine this may have been discussed but couldnít find anything. I wanted to know how if there is any way I could I take things further with regards to complaining about motor insurance as a whole?

I have two cars. I have 13 years no claims. However I can only use this on one of the cars. Why is this? I created those no claims and I can only drive one car at one time so surely they should be carried between them? My insurance say itís because you got them on letís say Car A. Well thatís not true as they have accumulated over years with multiple cars?

Secondly I have 6 points. These were 2 SP30ís so 3 points each and a fine. I have no issues with this. I was speeding albeit on a dual carriageway in an area little could go wrong and picked up by a mobile unit both times but either way accept the penalty.

My issue here is these points carry onto anything I drive so I have to declare them on both cars but I only got them in Car A... surely if you canít have your no claims between cars why should points be carried?

Basically I feel they make up their rules as they go and due to the fact you have to have insurance we as the consumer have little choice. I think itís wrong and needs changing unless someone can advise of a logical argument to the above.

So main question is where do I begin?

Thanks

Nick
Page 1
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 13th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    • 432 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    As NCD is an insurance industry creation it is entirely up to the insurers to set whatever rules they want. If you don't like the rules your current insurer imposes you are free to go elsewhere. Some insurers will mirror bonus from one policy to a second car or offer named driver NCD to mirror the policy they are named on so worth shopping around and asking the question.

With regard to the speeding offences they do need to be declared on every policy. Insurance is based on risk and a driver who has 2 SP30's is clearly a higher risk than a driver with none. Underwriting view tends to be that a single SP30 does not attract much of an increase because any driver could drift over the limit once and be unlucky enough to get caught, learn their lesson and never speed again. A driver with two or more speeding convictions clearly did not learn anything from the first conviction and is likely to continue driving with a lack of care making them more likely to have an accident so the premium gets loaded to reflect the increased risk.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 13th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 10,355 Posts
    • 13,060 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    You're not buying the right product. With 13 years no claims you have age on your side, but 6 points shows you are more riskier than others.

At renewal find an Insurer who will mirror your no-claims. Some do. Some don't. For example I'm insured with Axa and every time I buy a car I get mirrored no claims (22 years). Generally I find multi-car policies to be meh with only 5-10% discount. A mirrored no claims policy will give you an instant 60-70% discount.
    The man without a signature.
    • Nick2132
    • By Nick2132 13th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nick2132
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    Thanks for the response and I fully understand the points. Thatís not really my issue. It was more the mirroring the no claims onto either Car. I have shopped around and canít seem to find anyone who does this?
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 13th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 4,235 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    Nod is an entirely voluntary marketing scheme designed by the insurers. Their train set, their rules.

Licence points are a statutory scheme and are attached to the driver, not to the car. They suggest that you're more likely to ignore road rules than if you don't have them, especially having won twice.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 13th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    Hi,

Imagine this may have been discussed but couldnít find anything. I wanted to know how if there is any way I could I take things further with regards to complaining about motor insurance as a whole?

I have two cars. I have 13 years no claims. However I can only use this on one of the cars. Why is this? I created those no claims and I can only drive one car at one time so surely they should be carried between them? My insurance say itís because you got them on letís say Car A. Well thatís not true as they have accumulated over years with multiple cars?

Secondly I have 6 points. These were 2 SP30ís so 3 points each and a fine. I have no issues with this. I was speeding albeit on a dual carriageway in an area little could go wrong and picked up by a mobile unit both times but either way accept the penalty.

My issue here is these points carry onto anything I drive so I have to declare them on both cars but I only got them in Car A... surely if you canít have your no claims between cars why should points be carried?

Basically I feel they make up their rules as they go and due to the fact you have to have insurance we as the consumer have little choice. I think itís wrong and needs changing unless someone can advise of a logical argument to the above.

So main question is where do I begin?

Thanks

Nick
    Originally posted by Nick2132

Nice try Nick.

Next time come back with something serious.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 13th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    Nick2132 trying to change the motor insurance industry one troll post at a time.
    • Nick2132
    • By Nick2132 13th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nick2132
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    How is it fair? Iím confused. I just want to be able to use multiple cars with the same amount of no claims. I donít see why I need to accumulate no claims on multiple policies. I would fully expect to lose them should I crash unlike what DebtDebt alluded to and decided I was an idiot. The points situation was merely an example of how on one hand itís the person but NCD is the Car which I donít think is fair
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 13th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    How is it fair? Iím confused. I just want to be able to use multiple cars with the same amount of no claims. I donít see why I need to accumulate no claims on multiple policies. I would fully expect to lose them should I crash unlike what DebtDebt alluded to and decided I was an idiot. The points situation was merely an example of how on one hand itís the person but NCD is the Car which I donít think is fair
    With six points you pose a greater risk regardless of the no claims status.
    • Nick2132
    • By Nick2132 13th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nick2132
    Fully get that. Again not what Iím disputing. I only used the points as a comparison. I have 2 cars I drive regularly. I have 13 years NCD on one and 1 NCD on the other. All Iím saying is I think my 13 years NCD should carry over to either Car as I can only drive one at a time
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 13th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Fully get that. Again not what Iím disputing. I only used the points as a comparison. I have 2 cars I drive regularly. I have 13 years NCD on one and 1 NCD on the other. All Iím saying is I think my 13 years NCD should carry over to either Car as I can only drive one at a time
    But you have x number of years driving experience on both cars. Odds are the policy wouldnít be much cheaper with the no claims bonus.
    • Nick2132
    • By Nick2132 13th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nick2132
    Really? This is where I’m not knowledgable enough about the industry hence the question. If that’s the case then fair enough but equally if so seems silly they don’t just say you have whatever NCD on both
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 13th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 4,938 Posts
    • 4,651 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    I have two cars both of which I drive regularly. I had no problem in being offered the full no claims discount when I bought the second car; the two together didn't amount to £400 fully comp. This was with Saga, but you have to be over a certain age, iirc.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • Nick2132
    • By Nick2132 13th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nick2132
    Thanks Iíll check them out. Appreciate the response
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Thanks for the response and I fully understand the points. That’s not really my issue. It was more the mirroring the no claims onto either Car. I have shopped around and can’t seem to find anyone who does this?
    I had no problem at all. I automatically got quotes from insurance companies who I assume mirrored my main NCD when I did searches online selecting I owned another car and had insurance on it. The website then asked for the NCD on my main vehicle. Even though I selected no NCD on the MX5 I was getting quotes for I was getting quotes of £160 and under so those giving the low quotes were most definitely mirroring my NCD on my main car.

If it helps my current insurer on my MX5 is Churchill.
    • facade
    • By facade 13th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 2,965 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    facade
    Esure mirror the discount to the second (and third....) car if you have the first car insured with them.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 13th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    rach_k
    You may only drive one car at the time but you still want both cars insured, don't you? If you're driving Car A and somebody drives into Car B and writes it off, would you be happy if your insurance didn't cover Car B?
    • wwpaddler
    • By wwpaddler 13th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    wwpaddler
    Your DL points reflect your risk when driving. If you want to be insured when you're driving then they need to be accounted for in your premium.

Your NCD applies to the car. Your car is insured 24/7/365 not just when you're driving so can only be applied to one car.

If you want NCD on 2 cars then you need to earn it on 2 cars (or use a company that mirrors NCD / has decided it wants to insure people with this risk at a competitive premium).

The number of people who want insuring on 2 cars is a very small part of the overall car insurance market so not every company is going to set themselves up to competitively insure this niche.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 26,441 Posts
    • 10,584 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    The way it seems to me is you have £100 to spend and goto the shop and want to leave with 2 items worth £100 each.

You cannot use the same £100 to buy 2 items.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 13th Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 2,416 Thanks
    Aretnap
    No claims discount is a marketing gimmick - nothing more, nothing less.

Initially it was a form of loyalty bonus, designed to encourage your customers (especially the good ones who didn't make claims) to renew year after year, and the idea was that you'd only get it if you renewed with the same insurer. In short exactly the sort of thing that people who rant about how insurers take advantage of their loyal customers seem to be demanding.

However soon enough it went the way of all loyalty bonuses - insurers realised that if they wanted to attract customers from their rivals, they'd have to offer to match their rival's no claims bonuses. For much the same reasons Sainsbury's might offer to accept Tesco's money off vouchers from time to time - not because they're under any legal or moral obligation to accept them, but because it's a good way of poaching Tesco's customers.

But ultimately it's still a discount that is attached to a particular policy. And if you're not renewing a policy (either because you're insuring a car for the first time, or because you're buying a second car) then you don't have a current insurer offering you a discount - so there's no incentive for any other insurer to offer you a discount either. To push the supermarket analogy further, complaining that you can only use your NCD on one policy at a time is a bit like getting a "£10 off your next shop" voucher from Tesco, then complaining that you can't use it three times at three different supermarkets.

That's the theory anyway. In practice of course NCB has been rather uncomfortably crowbarred into the general risk-assessment model that insurers use. So if you're insuring a second car for yourself, and it genuinely is a second car for yourself and not a car for your teenage son, then if you shop around you may find an insurer willing to mirror your NCB on it or give you an equivalent discount. Not all insurers will do this however; the default position is still one NCB one policy. As mentioned already the number of people who own two cars is tiny as a proportion of the general population - many mass market insurers will have little or no interest in changing the setup of their systems to cater for a very small group of customers.

Perhaps it would be better all round if insurers scrapped the while system altogether. But the problem is that nowadays people treat their NCD as it was (a) the most valuable thing they've ever owned (you can even get insurance for it) and (b) a basic human right. So the first insurer to scrap it would immediately lose all their customers. But in fact it's neither a human right nor the most valuable thing you'll ever own - it's just a marketing gimmick that got out of hand.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

9,199Users online

Martin's Twitter