Setting up a company to run a holiday let and house let

Options
Hello. Hope I'm posting in the right place, apologies if not.
My husband and I own a house that we let long term and are setting up another house to run as a holiday let. I undertake the vast majority of the work (obviously it is minimal with the long term let compared to the holiday let) and this is currently my main job other than some small self-employment work. He is a higher rate tax payer.
We would therefore like to create a set-up where the income/profit for the houses is assigned to me as my work income. I don't especially want to set up a limited company.
Any advice welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Re the holiday let, you can apportion the profits between you in proportion to the work done, so if you do most of the work, you can be taxed on most of the profit.

That's different to a normal residential buy to let, where the profit share must match the ownership share, i.e. normally 50:50. The way to avoid that is to change the ownership, to, say, 75:25, so that you get taxed on 75% of the income. But, you'd need to change the ownership legally which will cost a bit and may have other implications, such as the mortgage company may object and it may not be the right thing to do as regards potentially split up/divorce or death, so it's not something to do without proper advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure