PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax impact of switching mid-year from letting a room to letting out whole flat

Hello. I have a mortgaged two-bed flat. This tax year (17/18), I have been renting out a room to a lodger, income from which will be below the £7,500 rent-a-room threshold.
However, I am possibly about to go abroad for work, and so will need to let the whole flat. If I let the whole flat in March, i.e. in this tax year, would that then invalidate the rent-a-room exemption? That is, would I then need to pay tax (less expenses) on the income I've had this year from my lodger?
Any advice gratefully received! Thanks

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    the rental income for the ENTIRE tax year falls within rent a room where you move out and leave the lodger behind in residence. You would only need to start the normal method (ie non RAR) from the start of 18/19 tax year

read: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim4010

the "basis period" means the tax year
  • simondm
    simondm Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I thought that you declare the total under rent-a-room would be declared independently, then declare the income and expenditure for the month after you move out in the rest of the income from property section on the tax return (e.g. mortgage interest for the last month or so only).

The link above seems to describe the situation where you have a lodger at one property then move within the tax year to another property where you also have a lodger.

I'm not 100% certain on this though, I tend to do my tax return close to deadline so can't remember exactly how it's laid out.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    simondm wrote: »
    I'm not 100% certain on this though,.
    indeed you are not, you are wrong.
  • 00ec25 wrote: »
    the rental income for the ENTIRE tax year falls within rent a room where you move out and leave the lodger behind in residence. You would only need to start the normal method (ie non RAR) from the start of 18/19 tax year

Thank you very much. That HMRC link was incredibly helpful! To clarify - my current rent-a-room lodger will move out on 24th March. I will move out on 26th March. I then intend to let the entire flat to a different person, through a letting agent. If I let the flat on 30th March, would it mean:
    a) that the final week of the year would also be covered under rent-a-room; or
    b) I would need to declare the rental income for that week, but the income from my lodger would still be exempt if under the RAR threshold?

Thanks!
  • simondm
    simondm Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    00ec25 wrote: »
    indeed you are not, you are wrong.

Sorry, I should have realised that I shouldn't rely on logic where HMRC is concerned.

This rule means that you could try to game the system by living in your rental property (as your main residence) for a short period at the beginning of the tax year then move out e.g. move into the property while refurbishing, source your tenant, live with them for a while, then leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure