Neighbour's gutters blocked

Hi all

I live in a block of 4 houses (Terraced).
I recently had a handyman out to have a look at my gutter, as when we get heavy rain, everytime, the water overflows on my gutter only, into the garden. He said that it is due to 2 of the other house's gutters being blocked, so the waterflow effectively stops (my gutter was absolutely clear and fine).

So I am going to ask the neighbours if they would be able to unblock their gutters.
I was going to give them a couple of months to sort this, as a matter of urgency, as I believe that damage is being caused to my property because of this (A small area of the plastering/wallpaper is slowly coming away in my bedroom, in the same area as where the overflow is and I believe these are linked as this was fine previously).

Do you think this is sufficient and what if they don't unblock their gutters and things get worse on my property? What other options do I have please?

Thanks

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Not sure he is correct. Is there not a downpipe on your gutter? Perhaps your downpipe is blocked?

If it is not causing them an issue, it might be difficult to persuade the neighbours. Might have been easier to ask your handyman to clear their gutters whilst he was there?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • missile wrote: »
    Might have been easier to ask your handyman to clear their gutters whilst he was there?

Seems like the right answer to me.
  • No there's no downpipe on my bit. I am one of the middle terraced houses.

With the two houses affected, one is rented by a private tenant and the other house is owned by an elderly couple.
    Both reluctant to pay any money out!! I don't see why I should have to pay to have their gutters cleared.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    If he knew that was the issue, I am surprised your handyman did not clear the neighbours gutters whilst he was there. Maybe not so "handy" handyman.
    If it is not causing them an issue, it might be difficult to persuade the neighbours.
    Is it worth the hassle, be a good neighbour and pay up.

How much did your handyman charge? My MiL's window cleaner did it for a coffee and a chocolate biscuit.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Microhead wrote: »
    I don't see why I should have to pay to have their gutters cleared.
    Really? See your post #1.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    My next door neighbours are the ones who get the problems if the gutters of other houses in our terrace are blocked. Once a year I get a text from them saying "ok if we do the gutters today?". We all get on and help each other in different ways so there's never an issue, but the point is they get the problems so they just get on and sort it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure