Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    • 431Posts
    • 966Thanks
    ramblehan
    Wandering on
    • 30th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    Wandering on 30th Dec 17 at 9:42 PM
    Hi,

I've had just over a year off the forum and a huge amount has happened in that time, but it feels like the right time to dip back in. 2018 is going to be the year that turns thing around for us.

A little about me: Family of 4 living in the sticks, spending too much money on oil and logs to stay warm. We've a posse of animals too that will one day pay their own way.

2016 headlines: Financial burnout to the tune of £22k which accumulated over time due to house renovations, Unsteady income and growing expenses for childcare. Resulted in a DMP...which I self manage and is slowly decreasing.

2017 headlines:
    Moved house with the ultimate aim of helping out aged relative, changed jobs etc.
    Currently paying for 2 houses and 40 hrs childcare a week.
    Finishing off old house and moving has racked up more debts to tune of £15k. £17.3K
    Tried to sell house but first sale fell through at the last minute as buyers for cold feet.
    House sold again for £5k more (crossing fingers and hoping)
    Got much better job in December £10k payrise, DH now also on regular income

Things to look forward to in 2018:
    Selling house - we'll clear the new £15k £17.3K, and be able to bank a huge pot of cash for future house plans.
    DD will become eligible for 30 hrs free childcare.
    No mortgage and reduced childcare will mean we are £1500 a month better off. This should all kick in by April.
    Will be able to pay more off DMP as a result.

So, 2017 has been a turn around year in many respects. A lot of hard work to come but it's all to play for in 2018.

Some other facts...
    We have YNAB, and it definitely helps but I'm not living by the rules and it shows....I'm going to use YNAB better.
    Sticking to a budget is our biggest trial....
    This year as finances will be oh so better I want to get our budget balanced right so we can live comfortably as well as save and pay off more on DMP.
    Hubby never knows what there is to spend so falls back on CC so this is something I definitely want to sort...thinking a prepaid credit card with phone app instead so he can see before he spends....I'm guilty of this too though (must use YNAB better.)
    I should get a pay rise in 2018 too, but want to increase my pension to 10% as company will match it (currently it's only 5%).

And that's it for now! Will set myself some goals later...
    Last edited by ramblehan; 02-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Page 2
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 8th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hey PSL, Surprisingly getting the sheep in and worming them went without a hitch! However, we wanted to move them to a new paddock which we did - and then they started testing the fence in the new bit, and managed to get back into the old bit, where they remain even now - laughing at us from a distance! Hey ho! There's about 20 sheep at the moment. My DH would like a small number of cows but we've a long way to go before that's possible. If we do go down that route, I'm going to get myself on a 'cow course' as I don't have a clue!

Updates wise - I've done my shopping and meal planning - and got everything for £45 for the week so all good there.
    In some not so good news - BT are trying to charge me a cancellation fee and a fee for the wireless box as we have left contract 11 days early (so they are charging £55 for something that 11 days later would be free....grrrr. I'm going to see if Sky will cover it, but if not, I've worked out we will still be better off on the new package as we make lots of calls. So I'll just have to grin and bear it.

NSD yesterday and today - so 4 already for the month.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 11th Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hiya,
    There's 22 sheep, with more expected soon. Cows maybe but a long way off. There's nothing orderly about trying to move these sheep!! We've got 8 rescue chickens who are the friendliest birds plus 2 noisy boys.

A good week, all NSDs .....on my side. DH van has failed MOT, so kind of walks in the face of all the NSDs!! Got to buy something new so bye-bye most of emergency fund. We're just going to get something cheap to get us through the next few months and if it does more than that, it will be a bonus. On the plus side DH does have a job interview on Monday so fingers crossed for a more enjoyable job for him.

Going back to old house tomorrow to check all is ok. It's been empty for a year now - so sad. Hope the sale goes through. Looking forward to a family weekend.

Will do bank checks and menu planning tomorrow.

Happy weekend everyone.
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 12th Jan 18, 10:20 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    ramblehan
    So bank checks all done.
    Positives are:
    • we've had loads of NSD's and are not overbudget (yet)
    • work expenses have come in
      Also consolidating CC's onto a 0% is saving us some serious cash - we paid out £600 in payments this month - but next month it will be £400 so that's good for cash flow.

Negatives are: Had annual sewage bill come in (we pay a neighbour as we share it) So only £73 - a bargain in reality as in our old house we had to pay £55 a month to rotten thieving SW W@ter! Also BT bill was £74 because of a load of calls (at least new Sky package will sort all of that out.)

Oh and the van death. Seeing a car tomorrow - DH has 7 years NCB on his van - but it looks like you can't transfer to a car - which is FIENDISH approach to money raising from insurance companies. Hey ho. Still going to ring an insurance broker and see if we can do something.

Still haven't paid in £50 surprise cheque - might be able to get to post office tomorrow.

Have moved work expenses around to cover the sewage, and extra BT as it was more than I was expecting. Also added a bit to petrol and a bit to food.

Food spend so far: £134 with £66 remaining. Get paid again on 25th so 2 weeks today. Not sure £66 will be enough. Have £100 in petrol budget so a bit of thieving from there potentially. or the surprise cheque.

TTFN
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 13th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Car bought. Insurance sorted, tax sorted (all of which is more pricey than old vehicle.) Manage to bring across the NCB though so that's a positive. Going to scrap old van today too - so we'll get £170 back which will cover the initial payout.
    Paid in cheque.

Nice email from estate agent saying that the buyers are not doing a structural survey at all - and that the only thing we are waiting on is 1 thing on their side with theit mortgage offer....so we ***might*** be exchanging soon. FINGERS CROSSED.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,329Posts Today

9,375Users online

Martin's Twitter