Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 12,367Posts
    • 37,968Thanks
    Nelski
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018 24th Dec 17 at 10:26 AM
    Some of you may remember this from a few years ago

Cook Something Different

Anyway does anyone fancy joining me for a 2018 version.

Now despite all my good intentions I have added around another 10 cook books to my already huge collection. On top of this I am subscribed to both good food mag and delicious mag. I would love to say that all these additions mean a constantly changing and varied diet...................no i like looking at the pictures then heading to the kitchen to cook a chilli or a tikka masala .

So enough is enough and there is no better time of year to start changing this habit.

For me I will choose one 'new to me' recipe every week from one of my many resources and hopefully over time expand my current menu. Any one wanna join in? no pressure just a bit of fun
Page 1
    • caronc
    • By caronc 24th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 21,062 Thanks
    caronc
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    Oh count me in Nelski- can't promise a new dish every week as I have stuff to use up but it sounds like a fun challenge
    (I'm not going to confess to how many cookbooks I have lets just say it's in triple figures)
    GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £63/£120
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 24th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 18,624 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:45 AM
    Great idea Nelski, I really enjoyed being part of a similar challenge a little while ago so definitely count me in. I bought myself some new cookbooks this year that I haven't even opened so I am looking forward to experimenting on my family next year .

• Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 12,367 Posts
    • 37,968 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:47 AM
    Oh count me in Nelski- can't promise a new dish every week as I have stuff to use up but it sounds like a fun challenge
    (I'm not going to confess to how many cookbooks I have lets just say it's in triple figures)
    Originally posted by caronc
    oh me too caronc but i figure a bit of change in the right direction is what I need (in lots of areas in my life ) Chilli and tikka masala will always be in my life though Glad your on board I know you like your cooking so you can inspire me

Over the christmas break ill start picking a book then picking a new recipe.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 12,367 Posts
    • 37,968 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    Great idea Nelski, I really enjoyed being part of a similar challenge a little while ago so definitely count me in. I bought myself some new cookbooks this year that I haven't even opened so I am looking forward to experimenting on my family next year .
    Originally posted by dumpling
    lets do it dumpling
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 24th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 19,075 Posts
    • 50,378 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    I try to include new recipes in my 3 weekly meal plans so I'll try to remember to post anything new.

Santa is bringing Rick Sten's Venice to Istanbul and the Hairy Bikers Great Curries so some potential there.

Can I jump the gun and share this one that I posted on the 'what are you having for dinner tonight?' thread:
    :
    Been AWOL from the thread for a couple of days.
    Tonight I'm doing a Gino recipe from his earlier series:
    pasta shells with guanciale with potatoes and tomatoes.
    http://www.itv.com/ginositalianescape/recipes/pasta-shells-with-guanciale-potatoes-and-tomatoes
    Guanciale is pig's cheek but Gino suggests pancetta as an alternative.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    And here's my comments afterwards:
    PS - this was really tasty, it needs a bit of tweaking ingredient-wise as the recipe is for 4 - it says 1.8 litres of stock - and we'd probably use chorizo instead of pancetta but definitely on the 'cook again' list
    Have I understood the thread correctly?
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    • 12,367 Posts
    • 37,968 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 24th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    • 24th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    I try to include new recipes in my 3 weekly meal plans so I'll try to remember to post anything new.

Santa is bringing Rick Sten's Venice to Istanbul and the Hairy Bikers Great Curries so some potential there.

Can I jump the gun and share this one that I posted on the 'what are you having for dinner tonight?' thread:
    :

And here's my comments afterwards:

Have I understood the thread correctly?
    no rules Pollycat its a laid back thread hopefully where we just share our new ventures Santa is being very good to you ...you must be on the nice list I love my hairy bikers books so look forward to your feedback on this one and as for Rick Stein ....well he can do no wrong
    • Floss
    • By Floss 25th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 4,302 Posts
    • 37,305 Thanks
    Floss
    • 25th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 25th Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    Me too please!! We have most of Rick's books, several HFW & JO books and almost all of Nigella's too, so lots of scope for variety!
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 25th Dec 17, 10:27 AM
    • 12,367 Posts
    • 37,968 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 25th Dec 17, 10:27 AM
    • 25th Dec 17, 10:27 AM
    Me too please!! We have most of Rick's books, several HFW & JO books and almost all of Nigella's too, so lots of scope for variety!
    Originally posted by Floss
    Ill raise you all of them with John Tarode and the Hairy Bikers ....currently trying hard to resist JOs 5 but I think I know resistance is futile problem is I need more shelves in the kitchen

Anyway as soon as i am rid of all the christmas LOs then im starting ....*thinks* .....I have JOs Christmas cookbook from last year ....ill have a browse whilst the queen is on no time like the present
    • curlywurly82
    • By curlywurly82 25th Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    curlywurly82
    This sounds like a great challenge. Please can I join?

The first new recipe I will be trying in jack monroe's peach and chickpea curry. I brought all the bits before Christmas but had a few weeks where cooking wasn't top of the agenda
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 25th Dec 17, 12:20 PM
    • 12,367 Posts
    • 37,968 Thanks
    Nelski
    This sounds like a great challenge. Please can I join?

The first new recipe I will be trying in jack monroe's peach and chickpea curry. I brought all the bits before Christmas but had a few weeks where cooking wasn't top of the agenda
    Originally posted by curlywurly82
    course you can curlywurly all recipe hoarders welcome here That sounds like a lovely curry
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 25th Dec 17, 9:43 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 7,765 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Can I join you, keep saying I'm going to try and change things up but always end up with the same things still.
    I've got some mince in, always end up with bolagnese or cottage pie. Can't do chilli or versions of as the kids and hubby don't like it. Any ideas?
    SPC #148 2014-£25 2015-£5.50 My stars from Sue-UU

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan £400.33/£400 Feb £313.09/£400
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 25th Dec 17, 11:52 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 785 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    I'd like to join as well, definitely need to add some new dishes to my repertoire. Am at my parents until 4th Jan and find it difficult to cook there as my long-suffering parents are meat eaters and I am veggie (and Dad is scared of foods with weird names so no aubergine for him), but definitely on board from 4th onwards. First meal will be dictated by whatever turns up in the veg box.
    GC Feb 18: £62.30/£200 | 2018 MFW #130: £0/£5000
    New recipe challenge: 4/52
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 26th Dec 17, 8:11 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 8,872 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    I would love to join in too, I'm cfo so wouldn't be trying something new every week just because some recipes are difficult to reduce down and I usually have leftovers to use up or occupy freezer space.

This past year I have been trying to include more veggie and slow cooker meals in my weekly plans. I also need to get a bit more experimental with fish so I would be aiming to try a couple of "new to me" recipes per month that gives me time to consume the leftovers.
    Keep Moving = 52.59mls/1000mls @ week 3

New2meRecipes = 2/24
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 26th Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    • 12,367 Posts
    • 37,968 Thanks
    Nelski
    Can I join you, keep saying I'm going to try and change things up but always end up with the same things still.
    I've got some mince in, always end up with bolagnese or cottage pie. Can't do chilli or versions of as the kids and hubby don't like it. Any ideas?
    Originally posted by Mrs Cheshire
    of course Mrs Cheshire great to have you on board.

How about meat balls or meatloaf ...no need to add spice if thats not popular. The other thing I love is a mince meat plate pie with a thick gravy ....mmm must do that again soon

I'd like to join as well, definitely need to add some new dishes to my repertoire. Am at my parents until 4th Jan and find it difficult to cook there as my long-suffering parents are meat eaters and I am veggie (and Dad is scared of foods with weird names so no aubergine for him), but definitely on board from 4th onwards. First meal will be dictated by whatever turns up in the veg box.
    Originally posted by debtfreeforlife
    im pretty scared of aubergine myself but will face my fears and give it a go. glad you are on board debtfreeforlife

I would love to join in too, I'm cfo so wouldn't be trying something new every week just because some recipes are difficult to reduce down and I usually have leftovers to use up or occupy freezer space.

This past year I have been trying to include more veggie and slow cooker meals in my weekly plans. I also need to get a bit more experimental with fish so I would be aiming to try a couple of "new to me" recipes per month that gives me time to consume the leftovers.
    Originally posted by Need2bthrifty
    Im with you need2bthrifty. Im cooking for one too although I have given up trying to scale down recipes so do cook for the freezer or sometimes for my mum who needs some proper food. My favourite day is usually a sunday where I hit the kitchen for a cookathon but have become very samey so my challenge is to choose at least one new to me recipe on my cookathon. Hope to join you in the fish challenge too I love fish but dont really have a good place to buy it locally ...there is a morrisons near mums that seems pretty good so I have no excuse
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 26th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 19,170 Thanks
    snoozer
    I'll join in if I may. I've been trying to cook more veggie meals so I'll be using the Anna Jones cookbooks I got last year. I'm also enjoying middle eastern flavours because hey are spicy without too much heat and DD bought me Saffron for Christmas so I want to try something from that.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 26th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 12,367 Posts
    • 37,968 Thanks
    Nelski
    I'll join in if I may. I've been trying to cook more veggie meals so I'll be using the Anna Jones cookbooks I got last year. I'm also enjoying middle eastern flavours because hey are spicy without too much heat and DD bought me Saffron for Christmas so I want to try something from that.
    Originally posted by snoozer
    Just had a look snoozer they look lovely recipes

Isn't saffron more valuable pound for pound than gold? thats a good pressy
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 26th Dec 17, 10:33 AM
    • 785 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Think I might join to. Although I have a very varied diet it!!!8217;s almost exclusively cooked on the hob. I!!!8217;d like to do more in the oven.
    Last cookbooks bought were !!!8220;Eataly - Contemporary Italian Cooking!!!8221; & !!!8220;Vegan!!!8221; both published by Phaidon. Have around 150 mostly newish cookbooks.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 26th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 8,872 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Im with you need2bthrifty. Hope to join you in the fish challenge too I love fish but dont really have a good place to buy it locally ...there is a morrisons near mums that seems pretty good so I have no excuse
    Originally posted by Nelski
    I know, the supermarkets have killed off nearly all the good fish shops around here my nearest is 5mls in one direction another 12mls opposite way and I stopped buying supermarket fish counter stuff when the cat refused to eat it but I do buy frozen salmon and haddock fillets as a standby but you just cant beat fresh fish imo .
    Keep Moving = 52.59mls/1000mls @ week 3

New2meRecipes = 2/24
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 26th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 12,367 Posts
    • 37,968 Thanks
    Nelski
    Think I might join to. Although I have a very varied diet it’s almost exclusively cooked on the hob. I’d like to do more in the oven.
    Last cookbooks bought were “Eataly - Contemporary Italian Cooking” & “Vegan” both published by Phaidon. Have around 150 mostly newish cookbooks.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    hi mr singleton

I think I have recognised the problem with me and this thread...every time you all mention a book I google then want it too hey ho I will get some more shelves 150 is pretty impressive Mr S
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,865Posts Today

7,513Users online

Martin's Twitter