IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Low emissions zone fine from Euro Parking Collection plc

Options
Hi there

I have received a fine from Euro Parking Collections plc for entering a low emissions zone in the outskirts of London with my van. My van is registered to Germany and I did not know that I had to register the van before entering a low emissions zone despite my van, once registered, not incurring any charge for future journeys. The fine is from TFL for non registration of my vehicle and they passed it on to EPC to chase me in Germany. The fine was received over 6 weeks after the offence and therefore I have since driven through the low emissions zone again. Also by the time I received the fine the early payment date had passed. The fine is for £1000, reduced to £500 if I pay early. This is such a huge sum I am so worried as I know there will be at least one more in the post. I have contacted TFL but they don't want to know as they have already passed this onto EPC.
I did call EPC and they said they would allow me 7 days to pay the £500 rather than £1000.
What can they do if I simply ignore them? Do they have any authority to take me to court?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Marktheshark
    Options
    It is a civil penalty.
    Pretty useless outside the UK and almost as useless inside the UK, they enforce them with knuckle dragging fake bailiffs with fake self printed warrants.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My suggestion is pepipoo nd the council forum. Experts there. Don’t use hotmail.
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EPC chase UK drivers for unpaid tolls across Europe, mainly the M50 Toll in Dublin. They do not "own" the debt, they simply chase it on behalf of the issuing authority. As they don't own it, then they can not start any formal legal action.

It's up to you as the driver to decide whether to pay it or not, from my own experience though, you'll get a vast number of letters from EPC, the Contractum, then Rossendales, then back to EPC where the process repeats.

Again from my experience, there is no risk of the vehicle being put on any register at the ports, and no risk of the vehicle being seized or clamped.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • Loubylou27
    Options
    That is music to my ears, thank you very much!
  • Ele7579
    Options
    Hi there, I had the same problem. My husband drove a van from Germany to London on July 2017. Few weeks later we received a penalty and we paid it.
    They also asked us for some documents to prove the van's age. I emailled the documents to them.
    For my surprise I just received a letter from a German debs collector company saying that we have to pay €5600!!. We have been living in Germany for over one year and I am a bit scared. Did they send you any more letter. Did you end up paying the total fine?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport