Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • mcmog
    • 16th Oct 07, 1:44 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 1:44 PM
    Could anyone with kids tell me what the going rate for babysitting is these days? It might be ideal for me as I'm CRB-checked and stuff, I just remember as a teenager spending seven hours waiting for some brat's parents to come home and all for a fiver!
    • kisto
    • By kisto 16th Oct 07, 2:13 PM
    • 6,229 Posts
    • 81,395 Thanks
    kisto
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:13 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:13 PM
    The two times I have been out this year and I had to use a babysitter I paid between £4 - £5 an hour. No idea whether this is right. Hence....I don't go out often!
    • MercilessKiller
    • By MercilessKiller 16th Oct 07, 2:19 PM
    • 6,831 Posts
    • 6,305 Thanks
    MercilessKiller
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:19 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:19 PM
    Isn't £4 under min wage?
    "The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
  • nicola1982
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:36 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:36 PM
    Most babysitters are younger than minimum wage eligibility though
    £4000 challenge

Currently leftover - £3872.15
  • Smickan
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:41 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:41 PM
    Could anyone with kids tell me what the going rate for babysitting is these days? It might be ideal for me as I'm CRB-checked and stuff, I just remember as a teenager spending seven hours waiting for some brat's parents to come home and all for a fiver!
    Originally posted by mcmog
    22 and still do it for exactly that much And I'm CRB checked too!

£10 for a full day as in 9-3 (it used to be that much for a full day for 4 kids too :rolleyes and fiver for 6-10 on a night.

I know I'm being taken for a mug but I love the kids, I've grown up looking after them.
    • code-a-holic
    • By code-a-holic 16th Oct 07, 2:44 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    code-a-holic
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:44 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:44 PM
    I pay £15 a night to my babysitter - but she is my sister. Surprised by people thinking thats expensive though. She stays all night so we could crawl back in early hours if we wanted! We usually home by 11pm!
    I remember babysitting in my teens for about £10. As we are very rural where i grow up and live now i used to sleep on the sofa and get taken home next day.
  • Tabby_Kitten
    • 16th Oct 07, 3:13 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 3:13 PM
    I would love to get some baby sitting work, I tried putting up notices in local shops last Christmas time and never heard a thing, anyone got any tips for go places to put up notices?
    A Life Less Simple - one day I'll get there
    • summerday
    • By summerday 16th Oct 07, 4:58 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    summerday
    • 16th Oct 07, 4:58 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 4:58 PM
    Tabby Kitten, just be persistent with the notices in shops etc. If you can get references and have a CRB check put that on the ad as it's important to a lot of parents and will make them more likely to contact you. I do lots of babysitting and now it's mainly via word of mouth as parents tell other familiesn if they know a reliable babysitter.
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams
    • summerday
    • By summerday 16th Oct 07, 4:59 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    summerday
    Sorry forgot to say that I have recently increased my hourly rate to £5.00 if it's in my town, or £7.00 if it's a town say 20 mins drive away (extra petrol). I have a childcare qualification and CRB check.
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams
  • Js_Other_Half
    Originally posted by mcmog
    You weren't the only one...:rolleyes: Except I had 5 to look after and the parents came home at 2am...all for £5 and left to walk home alone. And that was only(!) 20 years ago.
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
    • Spendaholic Chick
    • By Spendaholic Chick 16th Oct 07, 8:42 PM
    • 2,007 Posts
    • 5,610 Thanks
    Spendaholic Chick
    I paid my first babysitter last week - £15 for 3 hours watching tv and using my laptop lol. She was a friend's daughter and a lovely girl so I was happy knowing my DS was in good hands. He's nine, so not a lot for her to do, other than be there in case he woke up. I usually use family or friends (for free!) and was gutted to have to pay someone but as its so rare its not so bad!

I've actually been thinking of babysitting myself on the night my DS is with his Dad to raise some extra money!
    GOD BLESS DURAN DURAN
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 293 Proud to be dealing with my debts

March NSD 5/10 March Make £5 Day £99.28/£155
  • In Search Of Me
    I do babysitting & charge £6 an hr but I am CRB checked, qualified NNEB with experience & references...trying to get more but you have got to be carefull as there are some weirdos out there so PLEASE be carefuly pepys...trust your gut reaction would be my advice. HTH!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• KARENW
    Babysitting Charges - Part Hour
    what do people do with regard to charging for part hours? i.e if you are there from 7.00 to 11.20 and charging £5 per hour do you just charge for 4 hours or do you start splitting it down into £1.25 per quarter of an hour?
    thanks
    karen
    • chika
    • By chika 26th Oct 07, 10:04 AM
    • 833 Posts
    • 5,153 Thanks
    chika
    I get between £7 - 10 an hour to babysit and always more after midnight. I just registed with an agency and some come through word of mouth.

If you are a babysitter it helps if you drive, have CRB and experience. Also don't forget about NYE christmas eve etc. I did these nights last year and managed to get £50 for Christmas eve and £100 for NYE.
    Last edited by chika; 01-11-2007 at 9:41 AM. Reason: to remove some info
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Oct 07, 1:30 PM
    • 32,870 Posts
    • 136,441 Thanks
    silvercar
    I get between £7 - 10 an hour to babysit and always more after midnight. I just registed with an agency and some come through word of mouth.

If you are a babysitter it helps if you drive, have CRB and experience. Also don't forget about NYE christmas eve etc. I did these nights last year and managed to get £50 for Christmas eve and £100 for NYE. It was great cos I went to sleep as soon as they had gone out, woke up at about half one did my hair any make up and went out to join the party as soon as they got back
    Originally posted by chika
    OMG!

I once phoned home to check that everything was OK with a new babysitter; no-one answered the phone! So I left my evening out and came home to find the sitter asleep on the couch. Hadn't heard the phone ring, hadn't heard me open the door - how would she have heard my kids?

I don't pay a babysitter to sleep on duty. Watch my TV, use the internet is fine, but I expect them to stay awake to listen out for the kids.
    • Toonie
    • By Toonie 31st Oct 07, 11:33 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 3,497 Thanks
    Toonie
    I babysit quite regularly and I tend to be paid between £5-£6 an hour. The families I look after also tend to ensure there is something in the house for me to eat (especially if its an early start and no time for dinner) I also always have a cab or lift home (paid for by the family) to ensure that I can get home after a late night. The way I get jobs is through word of mouth, my friends and family and workmates know I babysit and I have asked them to recommend me to people.
  • westside99
    Childminding
    It's fine getting CRB or Disclosure Scotland Checks But just remember you need to be registered first of all with the relevant bodies - CSCI Commission for Social Care Inspection or SCRC Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care (Care Commission) if you don't they you will be operating illegally and could be prosecuted!!!
    • chika
    • By chika 1st Nov 07, 9:40 AM
    • 833 Posts
    • 5,153 Thanks
    chika
    OMG!

I once phoned home to check that everything was OK with a new babysitter; no-one answered the phone! So I left my evening out and came home to find the sitter asleep on the couch. Hadn't heard the phone ring, hadn't heard me open the door - how would she have heard my kids?

I don't pay a babysitter to sleep on duty. Watch my TV, use the internet is fine, but I expect them to stay awake to listen out for the kids.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Fair point and i think if I actually would have got my pjs on and gone into a deep sleep then fair enough. I am a light sleeper and was in the same room as the kids so all was well. Its a bit shocking that she didnt hear the phone or door though! Hope all was well?
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
  • blue_mum
    I've babysat for years now through an agency and get near £6 per hour for a min of 4 hours a night I do already work in childcare with a crb check and qualification (plus my own kids!) plenty of experience, This can be quite regular income, if I accepted all bookings I could be out most nights, but I tend to just do my favorite families now !! Most families tend to pay out more than the £6 per hour and leave nibbles and drinks out as well. A good little earner to top up income.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,449Posts Today

6,856Users online

Martin's Twitter