Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Babysitting... official MoneySavingExpert.com dis... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Babysitting... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 25,339
# 1
MSE Lawrence
Old 15-10-2007, 3:30 PM
Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Babysitting... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Babysitting

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions

Just click reply

Last edited by MSE Lawrence; 16-10-2007 at 12:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Lawrence For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mcmog
Old 16-10-2007, 1:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Could anyone with kids tell me what the going rate for babysitting is these days? It might be ideal for me as I'm CRB-checked and stuff, I just remember as a teenager spending seven hours waiting for some brat's parents to come home and all for a fiver!
The Following User Says Thank You to mcmog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
kisto
Old 16-10-2007, 2:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

The two times I have been out this year and I had to use a babysitter I paid between £4 - £5 an hour. No idea whether this is right. Hence....I don't go out often!
The Following User Says Thank You to kisto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
MercilessKiller
Old 16-10-2007, 2:19 PM

Isn't £4 under min wage?
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
The Following User Says Thank You to MercilessKiller For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
nicola1982
Old 16-10-2007, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Most babysitters are younger than minimum wage eligibility though
4000 challenge

Currently leftover - 3872.15
The Following User Says Thank You to nicola1982 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Smickan
Old 16-10-2007, 2:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmog View Post
Could anyone with kids tell me what the going rate for babysitting is these days? It might be ideal for me as I'm CRB-checked and stuff, I just remember as a teenager spending seven hours waiting for some brat's parents to come home and all for a fiver!
22 and still do it for exactly that much And I'm CRB checked too!

10 for a full day as in 9-3 (it used to be that much for a full day for 4 kids too :rolleyes and fiver for 6-10 on a night.

I know I'm being taken for a mug but I love the kids, I've grown up looking after them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smickan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
code-a-holic
Old 16-10-2007, 2:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I pay 15 a night to my babysitter - but she is my sister. Surprised by people thinking thats expensive though. She stays all night so we could crawl back in early hours if we wanted! We usually home by 11pm!
I remember babysitting in my teens for about 10. As we are very rural where i grow up and live now i used to sleep on the sofa and get taken home next day.
The Following User Says Thank You to code-a-holic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Tabby_Kitten
Old 16-10-2007, 3:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I would love to get some baby sitting work, I tried putting up notices in local shops last Christmas time and never heard a thing, anyone got any tips for go places to put up notices?
A Life Less Simple - one day I'll get there
The Following User Says Thank You to Tabby_Kitten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
summerday
Old 16-10-2007, 4:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Tabby Kitten, just be persistent with the notices in shops etc. If you can get references and have a CRB check put that on the ad as it's important to a lot of parents and will make them more likely to contact you. I do lots of babysitting and now it's mainly via word of mouth as parents tell other familiesn if they know a reliable babysitter.
Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams
The Following User Says Thank You to summerday For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
summerday
Old 16-10-2007, 4:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry forgot to say that I have recently increased my hourly rate to 5.00 if it's in my town, or 7.00 if it's a town say 20 mins drive away (extra petrol). I have a childcare qualification and CRB check.
Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams
The Following User Says Thank You to summerday For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Js_Other_Half
Old 16-10-2007, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmog View Post
You weren't the only one...:rolleyes: Except I had 5 to look after and the parents came home at 2am...all for 5 and left to walk home alone. And that was only(!) 20 years ago.
The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
The Following User Says Thank You to Js_Other_Half For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Spendaholic Chick
Old 16-10-2007, 8:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spendaholic Chick

I paid my first babysitter last week - 15 for 3 hours watching tv and using my laptop lol. She was a friend's daughter and a lovely girl so I was happy knowing my DS was in good hands. He's nine, so not a lot for her to do, other than be there in case he woke up. I usually use family or friends (for free!) and was gutted to have to pay someone but as its so rare its not so bad!

I've actually been thinking of babysitting myself on the night my DS is with his Dad to raise some extra money!
GOD BLESS DURAN DURAN
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 293 Proud to be dealing with my debts

March NSD 5/10 March Make 5 Day 99.28/155
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spendaholic Chick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
In Search Of Me
Old 16-10-2007, 8:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I do babysitting & charge 6 an hr but I am CRB checked, qualified NNEB with experience & references...trying to get more but you have got to be carefull as there are some weirdos out there so PLEASE be carefuly pepys...trust your gut reaction would be my advice. HTH!
Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to In Search Of Me For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
KARENW
Old 26-10-2007, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Babysitting Charges - Part Hour

what do people do with regard to charging for part hours? i.e if you are there from 7.00 to 11.20 and charging 5 per hour do you just charge for 4 hours or do you start splitting it down into 1.25 per quarter of an hour?
thanks
karen
# 15
chika
Old 26-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I get between £7 - 10 an hour to babysit and always more after midnight. I just registed with an agency and some come through word of mouth.

If you are a babysitter it helps if you drive, have CRB and experience. Also don't forget about NYE christmas eve etc. I did these nights last year and managed to get £50 for Christmas eve and £100 for NYE.
There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.

Last edited by chika; 01-11-2007 at 9:41 AM. Reason: to remove some info
The Following User Says Thank You to chika For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
silvercar
Old 26-10-2007, 1:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chika View Post
I get between 7 - 10 an hour to babysit and always more after midnight. I just registed with an agency and some come through word of mouth.

If you are a babysitter it helps if you drive, have CRB and experience. Also don't forget about NYE christmas eve etc. I did these nights last year and managed to get 50 for Christmas eve and 100 for NYE. It was great cos I went to sleep as soon as they had gone out, woke up at about half one did my hair any make up and went out to join the party as soon as they got back
OMG!

I once phoned home to check that everything was OK with a new babysitter; no-one answered the phone! So I left my evening out and came home to find the sitter asleep on the couch. Hadn't heard the phone ring, hadn't heard me open the door - how would she have heard my kids?

I don't pay a babysitter to sleep on duty. Watch my TV, use the internet is fine, but I expect them to stay awake to listen out for the kids.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvercar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Toonie
Old 31-10-2007, 11:33 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I babysit quite regularly and I tend to be paid between £5-£6 an hour. The families I look after also tend to ensure there is something in the house for me to eat (especially if its an early start and no time for dinner) I also always have a cab or lift home (paid for by the family) to ensure that I can get home after a late night. The way I get jobs is through word of mouth, my friends and family and workmates know I babysit and I have asked them to recommend me to people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
westside99
Old 31-10-2007, 5:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Childminding

It's fine getting CRB or Disclosure Scotland Checks But just remember you need to be registered first of all with the relevant bodies - CSCI Commission for Social Care Inspection or SCRC Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care (Care Commission) if you don't they you will be operating illegally and could be prosecuted!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to westside99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
chika
Old 01-11-2007, 9:40 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercar View Post
OMG!

I once phoned home to check that everything was OK with a new babysitter; no-one answered the phone! So I left my evening out and came home to find the sitter asleep on the couch. Hadn't heard the phone ring, hadn't heard me open the door - how would she have heard my kids?

I don't pay a babysitter to sleep on duty. Watch my TV, use the internet is fine, but I expect them to stay awake to listen out for the kids.
Fair point and i think if I actually would have got my pjs on and gone into a deep sleep then fair enough. I am a light sleeper and was in the same room as the kids so all was well. Its a bit shocking that she didnt hear the phone or door though! Hope all was well?
There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
# 20
blue_mum
Old 02-11-2007, 9:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I've babysat for years now through an agency and get near 6 per hour for a min of 4 hours a night I do already work in childcare with a crb check and qualification (plus my own kids!) plenty of experience, This can be quite regular income, if I accepted all bookings I could be out most nights, but I tend to just do my favorite families now !! Most families tend to pay out more than the 6 per hour and leave nibbles and drinks out as well. A good little earner to top up income.

The Following User Says Thank You to blue_mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread