Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Sell your story/letters/photos... official MoneyS... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sell your story/letters/photos... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion
Views: 61,459
# 1
MSE Lawrence
Old 15-10-2007, 3:25 PM
Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Sell your story/letters/photos... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Selling your story

which is part of the Work part-time from home section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions

Just click reply

Last edited by MSE Lawrence; 16-10-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MSE Lawrence For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
helliecopter
Old 16-10-2007, 3:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default £100 from Take a Break for cute piccy of my daughter

Every week I looked at the cute baby & funny pics in Take a Break and thought what an easy way to make a £100. I had a really nice photo of my daughter (10months dressed as tigger with a tigger sitting next to her) e-mailed to them and bob's your uncle. The photo was printed in feb this year a cheque arrived a couple of weeks later.

If only they'd print one a week!
LMB 01/03/08£9001.61 £10/6 6089.70 - 32%paid off!
Grocery Challenge 25/6 to 24/7 €350 week1 €30-46 / €87-50

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to helliecopter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
lauradora
Old 16-10-2007, 8:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to lauradora

Hey everyone.

I would really like to get into writing (yes i'm a big SATC fan) :rolleyes:

I've been looking at information on the internet about the writers bureau. It looks really good but of course there is a fee! which being a dfw I can't justify.

I have a health and fitness background and am a lot more qualified than there people you see writing in these cheap womens magazines about diet and exercise .

Can anyone tell me where to start??

I want rid of my debt and my fat in 2014!
DFW nerd no 844

The Following User Says Thank You to lauradora For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
ScattyStudent1
Old 16-10-2007, 8:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I always think I should do this. I have adorable baby pics and some great (in my opinion lol) tips I could take photos with for the tips and tricks pages In fact that is what I will do tommorrow (once I write my politics essay)
The Following User Says Thank You to ScattyStudent1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Red Cat
Old 16-10-2007, 9:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My sister went and did a full blown journalism course when she wanted a career change and now edits an online legal property journal. Looking at where she got her qualificatio, the LSJ also has a cousre that may be applicable to you, but unfortunately there is a cost too
http://www.evening-classes.org/shortwomens.php
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Cat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
nboldock
Old 16-10-2007, 9:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradora View Post
Hey everyone.

I've been looking at information on the internet about the writers bureau. It looks really good but of course there is a fee! which being a dfw I can't justify.

I have a health and fitness background and am a lot more qualified than there people you see writing in these cheap womens magazines about diet and exercise .

I do a bit of freelance writing here and there so I hope I can offer a little insight into your question. I'll try, anyway.

Firstly - a nice trick for The Writers Bureau. Send for the course information, then DO NOTHING. Eventually they'll send you some more information, with - surprise, surprise - a "special rate" which will be quite a lot cheaper than the first price quoted - they'll also give you monthly payment options which weren't with the original offer. Hang about a bit more and you might get an even cheaper offer. They'll keep mailing you from time to time though even if you decide not to bother - if you register your email address they'll also send you special offers by email. They're a bit like furniture shops - the next special offer is never far away, so don't rush it into it if you're not sure about whether or not to do the course. That "special price" will be back, and soon!

They do have a money-back guarantee which states that if you don't make your course fees back by the time you COMPLETE the course, you get your money back. As far as I am aware this is a genuine offer but do note - in order to COMPLETE the course, this means finishing EVERY module, and many of them may not interest you or even be relevant to what you want to learn (they cover the whole writing spectrum, except for poetry). Even if you do them all, it will take quite a lot of your time.

There are a lot of free courses and tutorials on the internet which won't cost you anything at all, so have a look around (use our old friend Google) and see what you can find. The Writers Bureau (and other similar courses) does look a good course (I actually completed some of it a few years ago, but never finished it for financial reasons) but it IS quite a lot of money, especially if you don't have a lot of disposable income.

The best advice for any budding writer is this - just WRITE. Write whenever you can, and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

N.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to nboldock For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Zedkay
Old 17-10-2007, 9:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Good advice from nboldock. I would add that if you're serious about starting to write, there are lots of writing sites/forums on the internet which allow you to post your work, discuss it and the work of other writers, and learn as you go, and all without paying a bean. The best of them are real communities. Google 'writers dock' for instance. The BBC's Get Writing was a great community but having established it, the Beeb in its wisdom decided to withdraw funding so it's now a shadow of what it was originally. There's still some good content there though.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zedkay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
cbr
Old 17-10-2007, 9:47 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Following redundancy (early retirement and company pension luckily) I rediscovered my passion for photography. At first I just took photos without any real thought of making any money, then one day someone asked if they could buy a copy of one of them. This gave me the confidence to try to sell a few and during 2007 it's grown to the extent that I've sold 40 prints through various methods. These include my own web site, an Art Market, Craft Fairs and school events such as Summer Fairs etc. I've tried the usual greeting card/postcard thing but with no success.

At the start of the year I would never have imagined I would have sold so many prints, but I'm now keen to push on and do more selling. This helps to fund the inevitable new camera every so often

Any thoughts from anyone on how I can expand this, gratefully received.

Colin.

http://photography.colinrayner.org.uk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cbr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Tabby_Kitten
Old 17-10-2007, 11:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradora View Post
Hey everyone.

Try the 'artist and writers yearbook' it's got lots of useful info in it, it does take a little bit of digging through tho
A Life Less Simple - one day I'll get there
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tabby_Kitten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Zedkay
Old 17-10-2007, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Any thoughts from anyone on how I can expand this, gratefully received.
I've posted something on the dedicated photographs thread, Colin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zedkay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
cbr
Old 17-10-2007, 4:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedkay View Post
I've posted something on the dedicated photographs thread, Colin.
Thanks Zedkay.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
jessielet
Old 17-10-2007, 5:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thanks to nboldock for the excellent reply. I have also started writing since my recent retirement; have completed some short stories as well as a long memoir/autobiography. Does anyone know how a nobody like me can find a good but willing publisher/agent? Most of them are apparently only interested in celebrity memoirs but mine (I've been told) is well written ( I'm an ex teacher, musician..), and I've travelled all over the world and met some extraordinary people, including famous ones. Any ideas?
The Following User Says Thank You to jessielet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Zedkay
Old 17-10-2007, 7:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If you've had work published, I'd suggest contacting an agent with a synopsis and three chapters, and mentioning your publications. If you haven't, it might be worth selecting sections of the memoir and contacting the editors of relevant magazines that might be interested in publishing. Any publications you get that way would work a) to persuade agents/publishers that there's an interest, and b) that your committed to what you're doing and will be willing to do the necessary work.

Good luck!

Z.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zedkay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
lauradora
Old 17-10-2007, 9:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to lauradora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabby_Kitten View Post
Try the 'artist and writers yearbook' it's got lots of useful info in it, it does take a little bit of digging through tho
cheers tabs is that a book??? have you got an isbn number???

I want rid of my debt and my fat in 2014!
DFW nerd no 844

The Following User Says Thank You to lauradora For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
fabwitch
Old 17-10-2007, 9:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I bought the Writers Bureau course on Ebay for £15, and I am enjoying reading it. I recently had an article in Full House Magazine I just supplied the details to a free lance writer and they wrote the article and I received £150. In future now I will write my own and get the full fee. http://www.starnow.co.uk/Magazines-newspapers/index.htm
This is a good site that advertises which Magazines are looking for articles/photographs etc. It really isa good way to make some extra cash
Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fabwitch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ANNEGEDDES
Old 18-10-2007, 9:33 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

looks a good website i like the idea but would never want my name photo etc in a mag x
Not setting myself any comp targets this year, didnt seem to work last year!!! £120.98/£2008
2009/ maybyliene eyeshadow, rimmel polish, loreal foundation, Glamour: hairbrush
boots card =2625
quidoco= 110.00
Thanks to all that take the time to post
The Following User Says Thank You to ANNEGEDDES For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
catford
Old 18-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Question Protecting ownership

I've got some really good pictures of my son wearing the wrappers of a well known sweet maker.
Say I sent copies to see if they were interested in buying/using them how can I be sure that they won't get used with no payment made?
The Following User Says Thank You to catford For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
sunnyflower
Old 19-10-2007, 9:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabwitch View Post
I bought the Writers Bureau course on Ebay for £15, and I am enjoying reading it. I recently had an article in Full House Magazine I just supplied the details to a free lance writer and they wrote the article and I received £150. In future now I will write my own and get the full fee. http://www.starnow.co.uk/Magazines-newspapers/index.htm
This is a good site that advertises which Magazines are looking for articles/photographs etc. It really isa good way to make some extra cash
Wow! this looks like a great site!
I will have a good peruse and probably join! I don't know if I've got what it takes, but have had letters published in local / national press and years ago had an article used for a magazine, so think I'll have a go!
thanks again
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Wings of Ambition
Old 03-11-2007, 2:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by catford View Post
I've got some really good pictures of my son wearing the wrappers of a well known sweet maker.
Say I sent copies to see if they were interested in buying/using them how can I be sure that they won't get used with no payment made?

Perhaps send them a small size digital version with your name stamped across the middle of the photo (like istockphoto do). Would make it difficult for them to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wings of Ambition For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
ali1972
Old 04-11-2007, 11:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Writing letters to The Sun is good for £10 every week or so. Just keep it succinct (30 words, no more) and keep it relevent (check the headlines that day). You can email the letter (so no cost of stationery or a stamp) and you can access the articles online (no cost of a paper which I don't want to read anyway). When I can be bothered to do it regularly I find it does pay!

Also, the tips sections in Take a Break, That's Life etc do seem to be short of material. Well worth a go - particularly if you send a photo. I've had quite a few published. I have to say though, some of them must be made up by staff - especially the one that said "save money on spin drying by putting your freshly washed underwear in a salad spinner"... ugh!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ali1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>