Taking payments without permission

Options
Hi guys,

I need some help, i recently stayed in a hotel with reservations for 3 rooms, i paid when i arrived so that i didn't have to wait around the following morning to check out. (3 separate transactions) as per the receptionist request due to a complication with my reservation online.

Not the problem, the problem lies with when i "checked out" or handed my key back to reception i checked nothing more was needed.
The receptionist confirmed nothing more was needed so naturally i went on my merry way.

Only to find out they charged me a further time on the sunday AFTER i'd left, so it wasn't me handing over my card details. The only way they be able to get them is from booking.com who swear they've had nothing to do with it.

I'm trying to get my money back but i don't know what to say? The manager at the hotel called it a "pre-Authorization" payment which no one has ever heard of?

Can i get some advice please.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought everyone had heard of a pre authorisation payment.

Is it an actual transaction, or a pending payment, which will be removed shortly? What does the amount relate to?
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Businesses take pre-authorisation payments for different reasons. In the case of a hotel, it’s usually to make sure they get what their owed. As the knowledgeable zx81 says, it will drop off if the hotel don’t claim it. So long as you didn’t do anything nasty in the planters before you left, you should be ok.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Minnie2292
    Options
    Businesses take pre-authorisation payments for different reasons. In the case of a hotel, it’s usually to make sure they get what their owed As the knowledgeable zx81 says, it will drop off if the hotel don’t claim it. So long as you didn’t do anything nasty in the planters before you left, you should be ok.

But the 4th payment was taken after i left and had already made 3 previous payment?
    My Bank has confirm this payment has been taken out completely and to get it back i would need to raise a fraud form.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Putting aside the timing of the fourth payment, do you know exactly what it was for and if so, do you dispute its applicability?

Sometimes hotel receptions won't have immediate real-time visibility of pending bar/restaurant or minibar bills for example, so may not be in a position to commit on the spot to no further charges being payable....
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Minnie2292 wrote: »
    My Bank has confirm this payment has been taken out completely ...

In which case it is not a pre-authorisation. If you have this confirmed for certain from the bank, then you should speak to the hotel again and tell them so.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    Minnie2292 wrote: »
    But the 4th payment was taken after i left and had already made 3 previous payment?
    My Bank has confirm this payment has been taken out completely and to get it back i would need to raise a fraud form.
    As I understand it, you made three separate payments for three guests? That’s fine but, when booking, some hotels (and car hire firms) take a pre-authorised payment to cover any losses or damage, which is returned/not claimed if all is ok. What amount did they take?
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    As I understand it, you made three separate payments for three guests? That’s fine but, when booking, some hotels (and car hire firms) take a pre-authorised payment to cover any losses or damage, which is returned/not claimed if all is ok. What amount did they take?
    Edit: sorry, I misunderstood. If the payment has been authorised and taken, the post above is the advice to follow.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2017 at 2:57PM
    Options
    Pre-authorisations (just the authorisation, not the actual money) are taken to protect the hotel against non-shows or subsequently discovered theft or damage to the property.

Presuming you, or the inhabitants of the other two rooms, did not raid the mini-bar, ordered caviar and champagne through room service, smashed the bathroom or took the bed linen it might be simply an error by the hotel that the previous authorisation was put through as a payment request.

Phone the management and ask for a refund before you talk about 'fraud'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure