Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BaileySJ
    • By BaileySJ 4th Dec 17, 1:23 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 43Thanks
    BaileySJ
    Fire Regs for Loft
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:23 PM
    Fire Regs for Loft 4th Dec 17 at 1:23 PM
    Hi everyone,

We recently moved into a Victorian Terrace. As the place is quite small and the loft was a good space with no trusses, we decided to make this a Storage Room with insulation, Velux windows etc. We have planning permission and building regs have approved the strengthened floor, insulation and velux windows. We currently have a fold down access ladder and hatch.

In the future, we would like to explore making this a habitable space - due to the layout and age of the property we are restricted to having a staircase that ends up in a room on the first floor (with a fire door to that room fitted and large window onto a flat roof below) - not ideal but it is a quirky house and not out of character given the location.

It is not economical to start moving the stairs etc so we are wondering what our options are from a fire regs point of view? I assume we will need a fire door on the loft stairs - but would a wired smoke alarm on all floors + a sprinkler allow this to pass inspection? Or even an emergency ladder (which I would not be a massive fan of)?

I am meeting with the Local Authority to discuss but wanted to know what our possible options are which I can suggest. It is not worth spending a fortune as we will leave as a storage room if it proves too difficult.

Kind regards
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 24,051 Posts
    • 66,638 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    There is an In My Home Board fronthsis ort of stuff that doesn’t involve house buying, but it seems to be invisible to most people including board guides

It’s the same as for any loft conversion and the requirement will be what the building inspector expects from you now that you’re into the process. LAs are a bit less flexible than private inspectors but you would certainly be able to get your full conversion. It seems a waste not to at this point.

A mist/sprinkler system would certainly go a long way in their estimation but you may not need to go that far.

The usual route is fire doors throughout and a hard wired smoke alarm system, perhaps in all rooms, given that you are off the existing stairwell which is where they usually like them placed.

The Nest smoke and CO alarms are amazing, they connect through wifi, talk to you, test themselves. Our BCO was really impressed with them when I showed him them working in a house.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin