PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Fire Regs for Loft

Hi everyone,

We recently moved into a Victorian Terrace. As the place is quite small and the loft was a good space with no trusses, we decided to make this a Storage Room with insulation, Velux windows etc. We have planning permission and building regs have approved the strengthened floor, insulation and velux windows. We currently have a fold down access ladder and hatch.

In the future, we would like to explore making this a habitable space - due to the layout and age of the property we are restricted to having a staircase that ends up in a room on the first floor (with a fire door to that room fitted and large window onto a flat roof below) - not ideal but it is a quirky house and not out of character given the location.

It is not economical to start moving the stairs etc so we are wondering what our options are from a fire regs point of view? I assume we will need a fire door on the loft stairs - but would a wired smoke alarm on all floors + a sprinkler allow this to pass inspection? Or even an emergency ladder (which I would not be a massive fan of)?

I am meeting with the Local Authority to discuss but wanted to know what our possible options are which I can suggest. It is not worth spending a fortune as we will leave as a storage room if it proves too difficult.

Kind regards

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There is an In My Home Board fronthsis ort of stuff that doesn’t involve house buying, but it seems to be invisible to most people including board guides :o

It’s the same as for any loft conversion and the requirement will be what the building inspector expects from you now that you’re into the process. LAs are a bit less flexible than private inspectors but you would certainly be able to get your full conversion. It seems a waste not to at this point.

A mist/sprinkler system would certainly go a long way in their estimation but you may not need to go that far.

The usual route is fire doors throughout and a hard wired smoke alarm system, perhaps in all rooms, given that you are off the existing stairwell which is where they usually like them placed.

The Nest smoke and CO alarms are amazing, they connect through wifi, talk to you, test themselves. Our BCO was really impressed with them when I showed him them working in a house.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure