PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

BUJO Bullet Journalling 2018

Anyone here currently using or starting a bullet journal please?

Using one of these seem to be a sensible idea to replace my usual scribbled list and notes on bits of random paper so I can be more organised for 2018
:heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

Comments

• Errrm...never having heard of it - I may or may not be.:rotfl:

What is it?
  • I have bought a page a day diary to use as a bullet journal. Cant wait for 1st January to get started as it is beginning to fill up already.Love new books.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've never heard the term before, but having G00gled it, it looks pretty much like the method I've been using for donkeys' years.
    I use a lot of colour-coding, too.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Yes I do. Cheapo notebook from the works. I follow the minimalist original method pretty much.

It's the only diary I seem to be able to use consistently. It's messy, raggedy and I love it. The only thing I'm considering changing is writing up the monthly spreads at the start of the year, I hate having to do it every month.

I have monthly budget pages each month, track what meals we eat and note down the odd idea. The review and transfer is important, it helps me decide what is important and what is not.

I'd give it a go, not get caught up on the prettiness, and avoid 'bujo inspo' like the plague at least at first.
  • I came across the concept earlier in the year on the Marie Kondo thread. I'm not sure I follow all the 'rules' (although obviously you make your own rules!), but it's been amazingly helpful.

Instead of having lists on various scraps of paper they are all in one place, and I can see what I was doing a month ago if I need to. Details of projects that I am planning, measurements of things around the house etc are all somewhere I can find them. I usually start tomorrow's list before I go to bed, and I've found it really helpful in recording all the little tasks that I usually forget.

I don't do the fancy drawings, nor do I do colour coding – I'm just using up an old notebook. Why wait until January, I think it would be really useful to do now when getting ready for Christmas!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • I aim to keep it plain and simple - I want to use it to be efficient and organised so decoration will be minimal.

I use my diary a lot but its difficult to keep track of ongoing projects and its a pain to rewrite daily and weekly reminders soI think a checklist to reference will help :)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    It's the only thing that has worked well for me for this long, had a slight lapse this week. I don't use it quite in the conventional way. I started fairly conventionally, but then decided I wanted to ditch my appointments diary that I use for customer appointments and private things as well. I see quite a few people some days (garment alterations and repairs working at home) and do need to draw up for the current week and the following one in order to be able to write the appointments in.

What pages do you all have? I have:

Future log
    MOnthly page
    A week or two's worth of dailies
    Meal planning page,
    List of work I need to do
    List of stuff that I'm waiting for e.g ordered items, hear back from people
    Daily/weekly/monthly tracker of various jobs. This isn't working well at the moment.
    Packing list for next trip away if one is forthcoming
    Sometimes a part of a page for writing stuff in phone conversations

Then at the back I have longer term stuff:-

A freezer list
    4 weekly menu outline
    Choir contacts list
    Income spreadsheet
    Shopping list - page has a large size lined 'post it' so it is a reusable page
    Table of monthly/annual direct debs and regular payments
    'My' Sewing - as opposed to the work list
    Brain Dump for anything I don't know where to write!
    Instructions on how to change my Answerphone message
    List of things we might have for lunch
    Instructions for knitting a sock! then I don't have to find the pattern, it's always with me
    A page with contact phone numbers and policy nos for stuff
    Master packing list for ANY type of trip!
    Recipes to try
    Jobs for husband
    List for stuff to prep for Christmas - we are going on hol and arrive home 9/12. Hoping to have a lot done before then. We got back 16/12/17 and I wasn't ready! Stress! It is a good time to go on hols, prices seem to be very reasonable.

Well, looking forward to hearing from any of you who have advice/suggestions to offer, especially for how I might keep my house in order! I'm relatively new to BuJo.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    And I'm a bit of a minimalist......no fancy drawings or title pages for me. Get the odd bit of washi tape to signify what each page is.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • I have always kept a notebook of some sort but found out about bullet journals last year and now use some of the principles that I found out about online - but I keep it fairly simple.

My current issue is that I dont carry my journal about with me, partly because it is fairly chunky and partly because there are things written in there that I wouldnt want anyone else to see. I have one particular work colleague in mind. I almost feel like I need a "to do list" book that I can keep in my handbag to refer back to when I am out and about. I have an app on my phone but am not very good at using it. Then again this would mean two sets of lists.

So, do you carry your bullet journal about in your handbag at all times?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 February 2018 at 4:59PM
    Never heard of it, by what's been said above it's something many people have done for years and somebody "coined a trendy phrase" for it, probably to flog books :)

Each February (in the sales) I'll buy an A5 diary - always a "Week Per View" - and usually with an outstanding colour/design. That is kept beside me and open.... whatever occurs to me, or I see on the TV/online, I quickly jot down.

Bills due to be paid are in there, birthdays in there, bank holidays, TV programmes, pancake day, local events, market days, car boots.

Anything really ... each week as I turn the page to the following week, I flick through the 2-3 weeks after that as a quick reminder of what's coming.

In the car I keep a £1 whiteboard/pen and jot down stuff I spot while I'm out ... and that's then tossed on the passenger seat and I bring it in with me to transfer to my diary.

If I've leaflets re events I will slide those into the diary in the relevant week - as the diary doesn't move, it's right here where I sit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure