Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 4th Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    • 631Posts
    • 158Thanks
    mr_accountant
    Toto energy massive price increase
    • 4th Dec 17, 10:40 AM
    Toto energy massive price increase 4th Dec 17 at 10:40 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Update 13 December 17:

Thank you for your posts everyone. We've updated our news story:

Back to mr_accountant's original post...

----

received email this morning regarding Toto Energy price increase, for me from £954 to £1170, thats £216 increase. im already moving as the customer services is pants (thats being very kind). for everyone else check your prices
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-12-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Dec 17, 11:02 AM
    • 4,658 Posts
    • 2,829 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:02 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:02 AM
    received email this morning regarding Toto Energy price increase, for me from £954 to £1170, thats £216 increase. im already moving as the customer services is pants (thats being very kind). for everyone else check your prices
    Originally posted by mr_accountant

Based on what? You may be seeing the effect of the Ofgem-mandated cost methodology for customers coming to the end of a fixed term contract.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 4th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    Same across the board. Electricity prices will go up 10% every year
    • h1ubs
    • By h1ubs 4th Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    h1ubs
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:27 AM
    Same here .. a little confused as when I joined them on their Variable Saver tariff in April this year, thought that the price was guaranteed for 12 months. No mention of this in the email though.
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 4th Dec 17, 11:40 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:40 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:40 AM
    The rate is a variable tariff so they can change, though it's a 12m contract, though only £20 to leave (for me are least) however on the email link toto say customers can leave for free within a given period.
    • h1ubs
    • By h1ubs 4th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    h1ubs
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 4th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    The rate is a variable tariff so they can change, though it's a 12m contract, though only £20 to leave (for me are least) however on the email link toto say customers can leave for free within a given period.
    Yes although it is a Variable Saver tariff having found the original Welcome Pack pdf with details it clearly gives a Price Guarantee date of 27 April 2018. I am seeking clarification from them.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4,658 Posts
    • 2,829 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    Same here .. a little confused as when I joined them on their Variable Saver tariff in April this year, thought that the price was guaranteed for 12 months. No mention of this in the email though.
    Originally posted by h1ubs
    Sorry, that is a contradiction in contract terms. There is no such thing as a fixed variable tariff in energy contracts. Fixed and variable tariffs are covered differently in Supply Licence Conditions. For example, if a variable tariff is increased, the supplier has to give consumers written notice of the increase.
    • Cornish Dave
    • By Cornish Dave 4th Dec 17, 12:58 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Cornish Dave
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:58 PM
    Toto Shambles
    • 4th Dec 17, 12:58 PM
    I am the same as you, spoke to them this morning with difficulty they have no idea if our tariff is increasing. I said how can you increase a fixed tariff, he hasd no idea!
    • Cornish Dave
    • By Cornish Dave 4th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Cornish Dave
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 4th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    Hengus

I was told the variable bit refers to my monthly direct debit, it would increase if my energy estimates were inaccurate, I still have this in a Facebook message. The guy I spoke to said thar senior management were investigating but he had no idea if my tariff would increase, in fact he was as confused as me!

Dave
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Dec 17, 1:41 PM
    • 4,658 Posts
    • 2,829 Thanks
    Hengus
    Hengus

I was told the variable bit refers to my monthly direct debit, it would increase if my energy estimates were inaccurate, I still have this in a Facebook message. The guy I spoke to said thar senior management were investigating but he had no idea if my tariff would increase, in fact he was as confused as me!

Dave
    Originally posted by Cornish Dave
    Monthly DDs can change but suppliers have to give prior notice of all changes.

Standard variable tariffs can change. Notification of an increase in a variable tariff has to be given to the consumer.

Fixed tariffs cannot be changed during the agreed tariff term. That said, if a consumer breaches the contract terms, discounts can be removed from the daily standing charge.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 4th Dec 17, 2:04 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    Hi Mr_Accountant

Would you mind sharing the email with us so we can check this out? The best place to send this to would be energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com

Toto has had a few variable tariffs with a fixed term discount which carried exit fees, but from your message it sounds like it may waive these.

Thanks
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 4th Dec 17, 2:14 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    yes i will send it to you it contains personal info therefore not for pubic use

thanks
    • jrh2254
    • By jrh2254 4th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    jrh2254
    Same for myself:

A whooping 30.4% rise!

Should we all be leaving?

Perhaps I should have gone on to a more expense fixed tariff at the time (beginning of May 17 when I joined TOTO).

Thanks.
    • Cornish Dave
    • By Cornish Dave 4th Dec 17, 7:39 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Cornish Dave
    Dan L

Toto may have seemed competitive in June but I believe the e-mail they have sent me is exactly the same as that received by Mr_Accountant. I have spoken to them today and the member of staff I have spoken to had absolutely no idea what was going on, he said it should be sorted by senior management this month. He did not deny that I had a fixed rate contract but also had no idea if Toto would try to increase the tariff anyway. He did say that if they did I could leave without incurring any fees. This company is totally disorganised, they rarely answer their phone speedily, I have no idea if my payment is covering my usage or not as they never provide a statement. With respect I would suggest you should not be recommending this concern to your users as their service reflects on yourselves.

Dave
    • jrh2254
    • By jrh2254 4th Dec 17, 7:41 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    jrh2254
    Also how is it that mr_accountant sees 'only' a 22.6% increase whereas mine is 30.4% !

Thanks.

John.
    • Cornish Dave
    • By Cornish Dave 4th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Cornish Dave
    John

You are doing well mate, mine is a 30.9% increase!

Dave
    • george72
    • By george72 4th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    george72
    absolute joke of a company- got the same letter on sunday! if you transfer before the increase comes in you should not be paying an exit fee
    • Cornish Dave
    • By Cornish Dave 4th Dec 17, 8:40 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Cornish Dave
    Do you believe you were on a fixed contract as well George?
    • george72
    • By george72 4th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    george72
    no i think i was on a variable...but i spoke to them today and they confined that there would be no exit charge if i left.
    • h1ubs
    • By h1ubs 4th Dec 17, 11:26 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    h1ubs
    Do you believe you were on a fixed contract as well George?
    Originally posted by Cornish Dave
    I did Dave when I joined in April 17 as I expect several hundred others did at the time as it was one of the top switches recommended by MSE EnergyClub. Whilst it was called a Variable Saver tariff it was clear the price quoted was 'guaranteed' for 12 months. This is clearly stated in the Welcome email pdf attachment sent the day the switch takes effect. In my case it clearly states the Price Guarantee date is 27th April 2018. I am waiting for TOTO to clarify, but as stated previously MSE Energy Club should also be seeking clarity as the confusion reflects badly on their recommendations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,155Posts Today

5,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin