IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Appeal on wrong road name - rejected because sign is visible in photo

Options
Hello all,

I have read the sticky post and I sent an appeal letter to CPM for my parking charge notice. I apologise if this matter has been previously discussed somewhere and I have missed it. My car was parked on Panfield mews in Gants hill while the ticket says the location is Cranbook road (which is the adjacent road). I appealed on the basis of this. I stated that the car is no where near cranbook road. But they have sent a rejection letter saying that the signs are visible in the photographic evidence and they circled it in yellow. And since the driver left the car in that car park, he/she has the responsibility to abide by the signs. And I noted that even in the rejection letter the location is stated as cranbook road.
This seems confusing to me, should I appeal to POPLA or should I pay as the photos have signs visible on them?
All help is much appreciated.

Thank you
Bala

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please confirm the name of the parking company as there are several with similar initials.

If you have a PoPLA code you should use it, but that assumes CPM, whoever they are, are BPA members.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please give us the full name of the parking company. There are two with similar acronyms, but if it is either, there is no access for you to POPLA. The only 2nd stage appeal service open to you will be the IAS as both are IPC operators.

Before raising any hopes on a 2nd appeal - please read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #3 about the futility of appealing to the IAS.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Balasubu
    Options
    Thank you for pointing that out.
    Yes it is CPM (UK Car Park Management)
    Yeah I have read the bit of IAS appeals, they do sound like part of the same team.
    Do you guys think I have good grounds to appeal? Will incorrect road name be prioritised over visible signs?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do you guys think I have good grounds to appeal? Will incorrect road name be prioritised over visible signs?
    Perhaps with a council parking ticket, but highly unlikely with a private parking ticket. Only a judge can give you a definitive answer.

In considering whether or not to appeal to the IAS, please bear in mind that you have only around a 17% chance of success (last year in their Annual Report, the IAS stated that 83% of appeals were dismissed).

In addition, and importantly in my view, if your appeal is dismissed, this will give UKCPM added impetus and evidence (that an ‘independent’ appeals service also dismissed your appeal) to file a court claim. They are litigious and don’t need any excuse to sue.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/UK_Car_Park_Management.html

If you work on the basis that they will issue court proceedings, it’s best they don’t have the IAS backing to support their case.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport